Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Engine Room & Pod (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Engine Room & Pod
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn if that pod didn't make me think of the shape of the Galaxy-class battle bridge. The main bridge shape reminds me of the Ambassador-class one, too.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, in reference to a deflection crystal, you remember that the warp core is horizontal and the whole deflection crysal thing relied on the crystal having a vertical core to connect to, so it could deflect plasma into the impulse reactors. So it may/may not work.

--------------------
"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism."

-Eleanor Arroway, "Contact" by Carl Sagan

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, the whole concept behind the deflection crystal strikes me as quite odd, especially post-TNGTM, given that it's directly above the deuterium injector and nowhere near the warp plasma.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Based on Andy Probert's designs, the refit Enterprise didn't have a matter injector at the top of the warp core. The injectors were at the bottom of the core, and the reaction occureed along its length. Some of the resulting plasma was used for impulse drive, "deflected" by the crystal. There is some canon support for this in The Motion Picture, when the warp core (incidentally, never called "warp core" until The Next Generation) is brought online for the ship's impulse acceleration, and sublight speeds are called "warp point-five" and so on. In later years, they returned to fusion reactors, presumably easier to use at impulse speeds. It is unclear if the original series Enterprise had this sort of setup or if she had seperate fusion reactors for impulse. There was never any mention of the reactors, but the series bible described impulse as "rocket" power, which would support a traditional fusion setup more than a deflected warp plasma setup. I propose that the plasma-deflection idea was briefly flirted with in the late 2260s and lasted through, perhaps, the 2310s.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apparently I was under a mis-impression of what the "impulse deflector crystal" was. I had always thought it was a miniature deflector-shield generator, designed to protect the impulse engines from damage. Sorry about that...

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's the point of the crystal, anyway? Wouldn't a bend in the conduit through which the plasma is flowing do the exact same thing?
HappyTarget
Member # 670

- posted      Profile for HappyTarget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good point. But which looks better, a bent pipe or a sky blue crystal dome?

--------------------
Jack O'Neal - I like their style. Shoot first, send flowers later.

Todd Flanders - Ow, my fricken ears!

HappyTarget
Member # 670

- posted      Profile for HappyTarget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why not just have a rope down the center of the catamarans in zero gee like the bad guy used in Final Fantasy The Spirits Within. That might work, but i think it would get expensive to doo all those shots for every episode.

--------------------
Jack O'Neal - I like their style. Shoot first, send flowers later.

Todd Flanders - Ow, my fricken ears!

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps