Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Soyuz answers?

Author Topic: Soyuz answers?
Shipbuilder
Member # 69

- posted      Profile for Shipbuilder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay I posted this message to Mr. Sternbach:

> Hi Rick,
>
> Got a quick question for ya. "Cause and Effect" stated that Soyuz class ships (USS Bozeman) had been out of service for approx. 90 years, but the DS9TM states that several pieces of hardware such as phasers and transceivers were stripped from Soyuz class ships "nearing the end of their operational lifetimes." How is this possible? I understand that the ships could have been placed in storage and stripped for parts, but would 90 year old parts have the same capabilities as current technology? By the way, now that I've got your attention, just what was the idea behind the Soyuz class starship anyways, mission-wise?

And here is the response I got:

>Why not? The Air Force just said that the B-52 would continue in service until 2060. That's over 100 years since the first Buff rolled off the assembly line.

Mission for the Soyuz? You got me; I didn't have anything to do with the design, so I can't say I ever got into it, sorry.

Rick

-------------------------------------------------

Rick failed to mention that the B-52 has had extensive remodifications and refits during its "active" service career. To my knowledge no aircraft has ever been in 90 years of storage and then been removed to provide viable parts for something else. We're not talking about restored biplanes and stuff like that I said "viable" parts meaning technologically useful. Who knows I suppose it could happen, like I said maybe it was replicator problems with some exotic material used in the phasers and transcievers.

As for the mission of the Soyuz, like I hypothesized before, he kinda blew that one off. I wonder who helped design that one. Anybody know?

Galen
Member # 72

- posted      Profile for Galen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The DS9TM also mentions that the Soyuz have phaser strips. Where? I don't see any.

------------------
"Victory is Life!"

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my opinion, the parts of the Soyuz phasers were just used to build strips. I mean, there are those things on the saucer section, which are like single units. Now, toss a bunch of these single units in a line, a boom, you got a strip. The Soyuz's single units may have been large for their time, and maybe the largest ever used on a ship. This would make them perfect for building the new Type-11 strips. We can't really confirm or deny the size of the Soyuz's phasers on her hull, but the idea seems to work. Right? RIGHT?

------------------
"The one, the only, THE 359!"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That might work, but I'm pretty sure the tech. manual refers to the strips themselves being taken, and not just the components for them.

Also, the Type 11's are seperate from these, I believe.

------------------
"It was sweet, like lead paint's sweet, but the aftereffects left me paralyzed."
--
They Might Be Giants

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Obviously the DS9TM is either inaccurate or wrong with the phaser strips. Considering the age of the Soyuz design, I could at most imagine that some components of minor importance could have been taken for DS9, because they were occasionally well-suited for this purpose. Anyway, such a tiny detail would not have been worth mentioning in the DS9TM.

------------------
I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer. (McCoy in "Devil in the Dark")
www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.