Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » A detailed Shiplist (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: A detailed Shiplist
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The U.S.S. Entente was only mentioned in radio chatter. There is no info for it except for the reg, and the fact that it was a dreadnought. No mission info or anything of the kind was mentioned.

Sorry.

The thing about the Zhukov (Zuhkov) is this:
1. The studio model says NCC-62136 (The name is also spelled (presumably mis-spelled) U.S.S. Zuhkov.
2. The Encyclopedia gives the NCC-62136 in the individual entry for the ship, and on the diagram. The shiplist gives it as NCC-26136. In all cases, it is spelled correctly as Zhukov.
3. Okudagrams from TNG bridge displays have presumably given both registries.*

*A commonly unobserved fact is that when there is a discrepancy between registry numbers as given in individual Encyc entries and the shiplist, it is usually not due to a typo, but due to the fact that both registries have been given in panel displays or other readouts. They are not 'mistakes' per se, but are rather a straight record of what has been shown for each ship. The reader sort of has to choose between one or the other.

In the case of the Zhukov, I choose NCC-62136 as the correct number because it appeared on the studio model, plus it is the predominant registry given by the Encyclopedia, and it was probably given in an Okudagram at some point. And, in a bonus, it supports the theory that I maintain which states that registries are not sequential or chronological.

[ July 14, 2001: Message edited by: The Mighty Monkey of Mim ]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fair enough, but since I'm on the chronological side of the fence, I'll stick too the 26XXX

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, a guy named Spike e-mailed this to me. Does anyone know when it was used? episodes? seasons?

--------------------

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's nice, and I wish it was used in an episode, but "Spike" probably just made it up. It's too good to be true...

--------------------
Meh

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
"Spike" probably just made it up.

Nope, it's from the Captain's Chair-CD ROM. This display was in the Enterprise-D observation lounge and on E-D bridge computerscreens.
http://flareupload.hypermart.net/files/Starship_Status_Screen.jpg

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
heh...I remember that picture. I forget why I was trying to look at the USS Trieste. Obviously something concerning it's class.

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh. I don't have Captain's Chair. But the creators probably just lifted the info from the Encyclopedia. Some official designs for some of those classes would do us some good, though.

--------------------
Meh

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I forget why I was trying to look at the USS Trieste. Obviously something concerning it's class.

Yes, because a pre-production idea for this computer-display said that the Trieste was a Yosemite-class vessel.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Ok, but does anyone know WHEN it was used in the series?

--------------------

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think what happened was the makers of TCC modified the panel to match the info in the Encyc because a lot of Okudagrams contradicted eachother. Anyways, computer games, etc., aren't canon...

The deal with the Trieste is that some early Okudagrams may have assigned her to the Yosemite-class, rather than the now well-established Merced-class.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

quote:
I think what happened was the makers of TCC modified the panel to match the info in the Encyc

And I think they took the display from the TNG episodes and used it for TCC.

--------------------

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The display was almost always on in the Conference Room, and was quite viewable a lot of times, except not close enough to see the words clearly.

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

quote:
The display was almost always on in the Conference Room, and was quite viewable a lot of times, except not close enough to see the words clearly.

For the entire 7 years of TNG? What I am trying to do with this is establish what other ships in starfleet were up to & when. I'm not especially bothered if some of the class/registery info is conflicted (that is the norm).

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not the whole seven years. The observation lounge screens were usually black at the start of the series, and only "came on" when someone requested info. Eventually, they got bored of the screensaver (or realised that monitor burn-in no longer existed in the 24th century), and put that ship info chart up. Around season 5 onwards I think.

I do recall one of the injokes from that chart being mentioned in one of the books (possibly the encyclopdia, or compedium). Look at the USS Thomas Paine's mission.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gee, I hope the Thomas Paine Got away before the planet blew up...

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps