Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » A detailed Shiplist (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: A detailed Shiplist
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also wonder about the Zhukov's mission. "Alpha Laputa IV"? "Laputa" isn't a real constellation name, so I wonder if it's a reference to the missile complex that Major Kong and his crew were to blow up in Dr. Strangelove...
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm... I've just found out that the Dr. Strangelove Laputa was a reference to Gulliver's Travels, so I guess the Trek reference could be to either one...
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Laputa is Russian for "cheap whore" or something like that. Which is a good name for a Russian Missle Base, I guess...

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The really funny thing is that this could make that planet Aldaraan a cannon planet
Who knows where early earth colonists drew their inspiration from when naming planets...there might even be a planet spaceball too =P

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alderaan pretty much is canon because it was also seen in some convict's profile in DS9, IIRC.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, Mim, can I call you Mim? Right. Your position is that EVERYTHING seen on screen is canon, right? All the displays and everything.

Now, apart from the already huge problem which means that the same group of people have been responsible for designing ships for 100 years (How old is Admiral Roddenberry now?), this same fanatic devotion to on-screen detail now has you believing that Alderaan is canon.

Let me say that again. You believe that Alderaan is canon in the Star Trek universe.

You need help.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Leave me alone you frigging stand up comedian!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the other hand, we're discussing whether a fake planet from a movie existed in a fake universe of a tv show. now who needs help.

--------------------
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger,
Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die."-Mel Brooks

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who cares? I like the idea. Just as I like the I idea of Skywalker Division
Besides, it wouldn't be the first time Trek has used a name from another Sci-fi franchise. Haakonians for example, sounds suspiciously like Harkonnen

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

I don't see why there can't be a planet called "Alderaan" in Trek. What'll you do if they ever decide to actually say it on screen?

Monkey: Okay, that's at least the third time I've seen you say "you friggin' stand-up comedian". Perhaps you should think of something a little more original (and sensical) now...

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The "Star Trek" planet Alderaan is simply a planet colonized by "Star Wars" fans from that universe.

(Of course, in THAT universe, it was the dismal failure of Episodes II and III that sparked World War III...)

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If they say it on screen, I'll eat my hat.

I would point out, if you believe that Alderaan is canon because of a display, then you'll have to accept that the USS Brattain is dedicated to Gilligan's island, whoever designed the Excelsior was a fan of Buckaroo Banzai, and that Starfleet has Chiefs of Staff called Admiral Gene Roddenberry and Les Landau. And that Starbase 515 looks exactly like a city from Angel One. And half a dozen other places.

I will also point out that this is the first time I've heard Mimmy call someone a "friggin stand up comedian". Sorry. I go to record "Just Another Manic Mojo".

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

TSN, that's my standard response to PsyLiam. Check out the other threads. Sorry if it's wearing a little thin...

MMoM

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

It's hardly the worst thing I've been called. But, if it'll make you happy, I shall shake my fist at the screen.

"Curses"

--------------------

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BEGONE WITH YOU YOU FRIGGING STAND UP COMEDIAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CEASE THIS HAUNTING OF ME AT MY EVERY TURN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps