Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Mighty Monkey of Mim,

Author Topic: Mighty Monkey of Mim,
colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do not accept a majority of Mr. Okuda's registries.

Reason(s)
1. Mr. Okuda, for the most part it appears, didn't contact the VFX houses-IL&M, for example-for information on ships. He obtained the information second hand. This is demonstrated by his ignorance of the USS Valiant NCC-20000, or the other ships produced by the VFX various houses. And, when in doubt, he didn't contact these houses for verification of facts. Two examples-the registries of the USS Saratoga and the USS Farrugut.

2. Mr. Okuda is very busy and appears to not keep complete records of both the modeling and the computer displays in his archive for future reference. How else to explain the issue with the USS Cochrane (which was known to the TNG Companion's author) or the registry of the USS Raman? Remember, in the days of TNG, the modeling of ships was done either with his supervision or with the supervision of an associate of his.

3. The reader doesn't have verification of many of these registries. We are told that these registries are in okudagrams, and that many of those okudagrams may not be available. They could have been deleted or misplace or locked in a file. (How does one lock computer files, so that they are not accessible later?) If Mr. Okuda is going by memory as is evident in some cases, then he could be producing mistakes and, as a reader, we wouldn't know these mistakes for we can't verify the sources. This puts a majority of the registries in doubt.

I like many of Mr. Okuda's work on the show. I feel on the other hand that his work in the manuals is rushed and creates many more questions than answers. I need to feel that I am enjoying the show, and not worrying wheter this ship has the proper registry, the name spelled accurately, or is technologically appropriate for the time frame she is operating. This is the fourth and last reason that I don't accept Mr. Okuda's registries-ease of mind.

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with that, to an extent. I accept the registries that we have "proof" of from reproduced Okudagrams in books, model shots, and whatnot. I've got no problem with accepting unverifiable registries on a provisional basis, but I also don't shit my pants when conflicts come up later.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I need to feel that I am enjoying the show, and not worrying wheter this ship has the proper registry, the name spelled accurately, or is technologically appropriate for the time frame she is operating."

Then why in the world are you thinking about any of this in the first place?!

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that Okuda is a superb graphic artist, and a pioneer in the way Star Trek is precieved. I just dont know who the hell gave him the keys to continuity of the Star Trek universe.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No one did. I believe it states very clearly in the beginning of books he's been involved with, such as the Encyclopedias, that some of the information is speculative.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll remember that next time somebody uses the 'It was in the Encyclopedia, it must be true' cop-out
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good. Because like I said, it says it right there in the book.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.