Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Enterprise length is given (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Enterprise length is given
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to TrekToday, the new Enterprise is approximatly 750ft/230m in length, making her the smallest Enterprise. It's also said that again the ship will have a crew of 70 to 80.

This image compares the new Enterprise to the TOS Enterprise and Enterprise-E, as well as the Akira class (although, to me, doesn't the Akira class seem too small?)

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That Akira is way too small, it's sauser is supposed to be about the same size as the Sovereign's.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoah there...

Before we get into an Akira-length discussion, has anyone bothered to wonder how this LCARScom webite got the length? Could they just have scaled off the turbolift or something like we did and sent in their calculation to TrekToday?

Not that I'm mad about being seven metres out or anything...

[ July 15, 2001: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm glad its shorter than the E-nil. I was afraid that she was going to be larger than her. However I'm hoping that someone in the high ranks of Paramount will step into Braga&Brannon and say "Fans say this suck, and unorginal, change it"
Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pleased to see that I guessed the ship's length exactly last week...

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matrix:
However I'm hoping that someone in the high ranks of Paramount will step into Braga&Brannon and say "Fans say this suck, and unorginal, change it"

The problem is that most fans don't say that. It's possible that most tech fans say that, sure, but we make up a fraction of the fan base. Look at "general" Trek sites, and notice how much less objectionable people find the Enterprise. On TrekWeb.com, for instance, the revealed show as a whole has 81% approval, and the Enterprise design specifically has 64% approval. Then, look at Bernd's Ex Astris Scientia (mostly frequented by tech fans) where the Enterprise design only gets 21% approval. It is very clear that, especially in this case, the opinions here are not shared by the majority.

I might add that they aren't shared by me, either, but I think everyone's figured that out by now. :-)

--------------------

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But the "general" fans' opinions don't count on such matters, because they don't care. If they'll accept anything given to them, why bother asking them if they like something or not?
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Akira-class is 464.43 meters in length by 316.67 meters in beam by 87.43 meters in height.

[ July 15, 2001: Message edited by: The Mighty Monkey of Mim ]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Akira is ~335m. Except when it's not. Anyone who says otherwise is wrong! I hope.

However, the Akira will probably never be seen again in any significant capacity, so it doesn't matter much.

Meanwhile, I think ~230m seems to be about right for the new ship, but that could vary. But not by much.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My figures are official, how 'bout yours?

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My figures come from the Star Trek television show.
Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
But the "general" fans' opinions don't count on such matters, because they don't care. If they'll accept anything given to them, why bother asking them if they like something or not?

Who's to say they'll accept anything thats given to them? I happen to agree with the "general fans" on the topic of Enterprise, but hopefully after half a decade of posting to the tech newsgroups I've shown some shred of knowing my shit. I doubt that even the general fans would accept a show that completely ignored all other Trek, but this show gives no indication of doing so. All it throws out, if anything, are the assumptions that we, the tech fans, have made over the years. Some of us take that as some sort of personal attack. I take it as their perogative to make a show that won't be cancelled. It doesn't offend me that the Enterprise isn't what I wanted. In fact: I like it... and so do most of the people who will watch the show. Those who don't can always change the channel. Even in the somewhat fanatical realm of tech fandom there's no proverbial gun to the head.

--------------------

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

BTW, the 262m length used in the top chart is also "official." But wrong! Hahaha!

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you see ANY of our supposedly "rabid canon" fans actually boycotting the show?

They'd have nothing to bitch about for the next 7 years. If anything, they'll be the most AVID watchers, if only to keep their invective emitters fully loaded.

Hmmmm... what if Paramount intentionally designed a series so that, in addition to attracting new fans, it upsets the fanboys so much that they'll watch it religiously just so they can complain...

Conspiracy! It's a conspiracy! Have to warn the

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
My figures are official, how 'bout yours?

And your official source is...?

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps