Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Is the holodeck dimensionally transcendental??? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Is the holodeck dimensionally transcendental???
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"In "Encounter at Farpoint" [TNG], another possible explanation is that the simulation was too noisy - there were trees and running water and other distractions. Data also wasn't paying too close attention."

With Data's computerized ears? I doubt it...

The throwing-a-rock-against-the-wall thing I understood in EaF. The technology was still kind of slow. But, when they did it in "Ship in a Bottle", it didn't make much sense. Shouldn't the holodeck have been able to accomodate that sort of thing by that time?

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
And so I've been wondering. While a holodeck is on does it become dimensionally transcendental?? In other words, while the holodeck is on, does it literally become larger on the inside than it is on the outside via some wierd quantum flux type thing????

I don't think so. On many occasions we could see people enter and exit from both sides of the holodeck, and the scale stayed the same. It also wouldn't comply with some of the holodeck failures, most notably in "Night" when it went offline and just froze. It's already hard to explain how this could possible with a 1/1 scale holodeck when the projectors go offline, but in quantum flux it should be quite dangerous if whatever controls everything inside fails (i.e. more dangerous a place than it seems to be anyway).

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that'd must be damn dangerous, Bernd, considering the shit that's gone down in these relatively 'benign' holodecks.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.