Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Does anyone know if this is... (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Does anyone know if this is...
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
(yikes, they must have restored the Saratoga-modification to the original configuration for just that one weeny shot)

They didn't. Although the Lantree and the Brattain were re-uses of the original Reliant model, the Saratoga was an all-new model built specifically for "Emissary." Actually, there were several Saratogas built for the ep, each one blown apart by the VFX guys until they got one to blow up just the way they wanted it to for the scene. I know this because I saw a documentary on the making of "Emissary." You can also see that the detail on the Saratoga model has subtle differences from the Reliant.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I recall, Reverend, the Grissom mentioned in "Field of Fire" had 1,210 people on it,and only 5 survived when it was destroyed. If it's the Excelsior, than that's a lot of people for that class of ship. Maybe it was transporting people or something. That brings up another point: why didn't they offload Jennifer and Jake Sisko from the Saratoga bafore going into battle at Wolf 359? Why have civilians on board when you know you're going to fight the Borg?

--------------------
Meh

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could it be that the Saratoga during the combat scenes was the modified version of the Reliant, while the exploding scene was a new model that could be blown up?

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That would make sense. It's what they did for "Cause and Effect".

You know, I can't remember how the Saratoga exploded, but I thought it was the old "overlay the explosion on top so we don't have to damage the model" type explosion. Did it actually blow apart?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few years ago, Discovery used to show a program called Movie Magic. One of the episodes dealt with the special effects for DS9's "Emissary." Here's how the Saratoga's explosion was done:

The effects crew under Rob Legato (I believe, it has been a while) made three models of the Saratoga. These were hollow and of lesser quality construction than the actual filming miniature. These models were loaded with explosion packets, flame packs, and primacord. The Saratoga was hung from the rafters of a warehouse so that the bow pointed to the ceiling. A high speed camera was set up under the model pointing up at the aft of the Saratoga (there was maybe five to ten feet between the two). The model was exploded as the camera rolled. It took all three models to get the explosion just right.

As for the Saratoga still having some civilians on-board, it was a mad-dash effort to just get the 40 ships are so that were at Wolf 359. If the Saratoga was on patrol and got the message to immediately report to Wolf 359, she probably wouldn't have had time to offload the civilians at a nearby starbase or planet.

As for the Grissom, I don't know. I've always assuming that she was transporting troops, too.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By the way, for whoever (if anyone) is going to do the screen captures during the Sector 001 fight scene in First Contact, here's a picture of the aft part of the ship targetemployee's talking about (look in the top right corner):

Miranda at Sector 001

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still own a copy of that episode, so if it needs to be checked for anything...

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So is there a conclusion as to the FC Miranda? And what is that starship in the upper left with the Borg tractor beam? Ain't look nuthin' like mine eyes ever saw.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
And what is that starship in the upper left with the Borg tractor beam?

That's an Akira.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Veers
You first
Member # 661

I believe that's a nacelle of an Akira.

--------------------
Meh

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sure? It looks like the nacelles are integrated at the Bussard collectors.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Veers
You first
Member # 661

Pretty sure, Stingray. Watch the scene again.

--------------------
Meh

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is the Akira Class USS Thunderchild. As for the Miranda Class, it maybe the CGI model that ILM made for the scene which needed background ships. And the Defiant was not a CGI version, it was the physical model itself. The damage on the Defiant was CGI, which is stated in the TNG Movie Sketch Book. Besides, have you seen Foundation Imaging's CGI Nebula Class? Go to their website and look in the gallery.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Veers
You first
Member # 661

I don't think that's the Thunderchild, Mike, but it is an Akira class. You'll remember that the Akira was seen later firing on the Borg cube, and the one in the tractor beam was destroyed.
Just watched that scene, and saw that the Miranda had no visible name or registry. If it did, it was very small. One would wonder, (off the topic) how Admiral Hayes escaped the destruction of his ship. Escape pod? they made it seem like he was killed.

--------------------
Meh

Veers
You first
Member # 661

Oops. I meant to say, "You'll remember the Thunderchild was seen later firing on the Borg cube."

--------------------
Meh

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps