Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Freedom (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Freedom
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, as I mentioned in the Discussion section, I am slowly but surely DS9TMizing some starships, for the simple reason I wan't to see a starship chart like The Vorlons - with all the ships on it - I initially thought the DS9TM ships (well some of them Shelly Centaur etc) but I realised that The Centaur - what we see on screen is different so I will do a version that is of the onscreen variety - now it seems as if Doug Drexler took his Adobe Illustrator ships and cut and pasted some of them for some of those variants - but I am still at a loss as to WHAT part of a constitution that is on that Intrepid Constitution variant...

anyway - seeing that monstrosity I wanted to 'fix' it - i.e. to my knowledge - the Federation does not alter the size of their parts - like the Klingons and the BOP's so we have a reference point the constitution refit neck
Taking a chart with scale starships i.e. the encyclopaedia and a little bit of artistic licence I took it upon myself for the reason stated above to redo the Freedom - and probably a few others - like the niagra etc - in all the same style - i.e. Doug Drexlers ships from the Encyc II and the DS9TM

so here is the Freedom: taking a Nebula nacelle (same as a Galaxy nacelle) but the Nebulas for chronological sake - have a lower batch of registry numbers - and thus would have a higher chance of having earlier class parts (we assume that these ships were just flung together by the Federation - that they were actually design experiments - maybe to test Features of the Galaxy, Nebula or Ambassador class ships.

I also too an Ambassador Saucer section similar to the RPG picture - also it is similar to a report that Mike Okuda's slide show depicted this ship with a Galaxy saucer - easily confused with a Nebula or Ambassadoe saucer...

Also that the top of the constitution neck would assemble easier with the base of an Ambassador saucer - similar mechanisms - (see closer pictures of both the Constitution refit and the Ambassador classes) with a Galaxy saucer - there would be that deep groove for the engineering section - maybe that is the purpose of this ship to mix and match engineering section (or saucer section) parts...

Also, I don't include that bizzare addition that is on the RPG freedom (the bit on the bottom of the nacelle with windows) - how would they even GET there, through the nacelle?

anyway - adding this to a chart - in scale - and hopefully will get a few other ships completed in a similar fashion

here tis:

------------------
The house is falling down, 'cause of my loose tounge.

[This message was edited by AndrewR on April 23, 1999.]

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
also, I've included the constiution refit impulse engins at the back of the sauce

Andrewr section

------------------

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why do you call it an RPG design when it's from the Fact Files?

And where did you get the idea that the Federation doesn't scale parts? The New Orleans nacelles are smaller versions of the Galaxy/Nebula ones.

And don't forget that (a) the Galaxy class has a control room inside the nacelle and (b) not evrything that looks like a window is a window (for example those bits of the inner edge of the Defiant's nacelles). Both of which invalidate your reason for dropping the bit beneath the nacelle.

------------------
-->Identity Crisis<--

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

OKIES - its from the fact files - which I originally thought - but then thought cause there were no lines all over it (and I thought I heards somewhere about the RPG) that it was from the RPG anyway...

I guess I can add the 'control room'

it is hard to tell with the New Orleans - since the saucer - is of a different size to the normal galaxy saucer a la the nebula saucer - so there is no GOOD reference for the New Orleans nacelle resizing.

so I'm sticking to NO resizing for the sake of my little project.

------------------

Brown_supahero
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Brown_supahero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that they used the New Orleans Nacelle.

I don't beleve that they used either a Galaxy or Ambassador type saucer. It is a saucer that was designed after the ambassador and before the galaxy.

The niagara class starship used a similar saucer

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't even SEEN this FF pic before. . . I' sorry, but I far prefer it to yours! 8)
deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That big saucer on that tiny little pylon? Hmm...

------------------
The Unknown Vulcan

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

ok maybe this wasn't such a good idea - I know the top one is much better looking than mine - but mine is just cut and paste - trying to get some sizes right...

also, think of the situation this kit bash was made in -

could someone then, give me some sizes of the models that were around that they might have used - i.e. the different sizes of models

Also, the pylon doesn't have to be so big - there IS no gravity - look at Voyager's landing struts.

------------------

deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wouldn't there be a big possibility of a structual flaw with that configuration though?

------------------
The Unknown Vulcan

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Andrew: Unfortunately the Freedom seems to look the same as depicted in the Fact Files. At Wolf 359 only the saucer is visible, but it does exactly look like the one in the FF. It's not a scaled part, but essentially new, and the deck count seems to match the ship's size, if we assume a Galaxy/Nebula nacelle. The neck is no problem to me, since there are obviously windows which are not in the Constitution neck, and it's not a part with a very distinctive shape, so it can be any size. Your image is better, sorry, but it is not how the ship looks.

Nevertheless thanks for posting the FF Freedom image. This one was still missing.

------------------
I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer. (McCoy in "Devil in the Dark")
www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/

Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Federation Shipmaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The neck must be smaller or ahve a different saucer! It looks to far out of proportion!

------------------
What bloke invented signatures?

Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Federation Shipmaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes! Post 251! I am a Senior Member!

------------------

deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

Uh..congratulations

------------------
The Unknown Vulcan

Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

Oh, and chop off the stuff on top of the nacelle. It's unnecessary.

------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Fed, the neck - is from a refit constitution - the saucer the Ambassador - it was the idea of the picture to keep the same proportions as they apper if the two ships were next to each other - i.e. I took the sizes from the encyc and cut and pasted.

I was not trying to reproduce the FF picture - the first pic - but redo it - using the sizes - i would assume that they had on hand (in the federation) but you have to take into consideration the sizes of the kits the art guys had when they were making the models

------------------

[This message was edited by AndrewR on April 26, 1999.]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps