Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » The Enterprise-C (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: The Enterprise-C
OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Re: Navy ships being decommissioned for refit
Almost positive that it doesn't happen that way.

Re: USS Yorktown
Maybe Kirk hauled the Yorktown's captain and crew's collective asses out of the fire in some exciting galactic adventure and the Yorkie captain had said that he owed an extreme debt of gratitude to Kirk. Yorkie captain offers his ship to Starfleet and the Feds to repay this debt. Sounds implausible written here, but surely the Big E and her noble crew have had more advenures than have been catalouged in the historical documents.

Maybe the Yorkie crew presented their ship as a present to the Ennie crew for some unknown and noble reason.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's plausible that the Yorktown was nearing decommisioning anyway. it was a good few decades old at this point, and the current crew were possibly offered another ship, maybe another called Yorktown. Tuvok named a vessel called Yorktown which was in service around the early 2290's.

So with the original Yorktown nearing retirement anyway, perhaps it was rescued by Starfleet topbrass, overhauled, renamed Enterprise, and given to Kirk to command for a few years until it finally gave up the ghost for good.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
or the Yorktown crew never made it back and the ship was discovered floating in space with 400 bodies floating about. So they towed it back, gave it a new paint job and a serious hose down just in time to flog it off to kirk & co, no questions asked.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont like thinking that the probe killed people... i think they would have found a way to survive for a little while anyway, its not like it was actively destroying starships..

And in my mind, the E-A was not the Yorktown disabled by the Probe. just doesnt work.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I dont like thinking that the probe killed people

Probes don't kill people. Failing life support kills people.

--------------------
"Existence is random. Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it too long. No meaning save what we choose to impose. This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It?s us. Only us."
Rorschach

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was there enough time to get all this done? Remember, the probe's transmissions crippled any ship it passed by, and it was obviously orbiting Earth for a substantially longer period of time. Seems to me the damage to Starfleet's Earth-based installations would have to be much more extensive. Would there really have been enough time for Starfleet to patch up all the damage, go out, find and haul the Yorktown back to Earth, and slap a new registry on her? The interval can't have been all that long; IIRC, Kirk's uniform still had flag officer trim on it, even though he'd replaced his rank pin.

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps Kirk kept that old jacket out of sentiment and nobody really dared tell him to get a line-officer one? I seriously doubt a new ship was handed to Kirk within any period shorter than a month after the trial, regardless of the origins of the ship.

And the Probe might either have done serious system damage (in which case the Excelsior would probably get repair priority - and if she was a candidate for Kirk's crew, then some major time had apparently passed), or then virtually no damage (in which case the Yorktown would be basically in working order, just with the batteries drained and the crew lamentably but neatly dead). It certainly did not blow any traditional holes in the hull, so the repairs were probably very unconventional, and repair time estimates a matter of guesswork.

Timo Saloniemi

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Still think it wasnt the Yorktown.. the only reason we're fixated on that is because of Okuda's comments from his books.. the only reason Roddenberry said 'its probably the renamed Yorktown' is because he was joking because the 1701-no suffix was originally named yorktown, in early production stages. But we always seem to want to take Okuda's injokes as continuity points (i.e. U.S.S. City of New Orleans; S.S. Buckaroo Banzai, etc.....)

--------------------

capped
Member # 709

OK.. heres some deal on Navy use of the term 'commissioned'

excerpts from the Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships, about the status and history of vessels:
I picked the Yorktown but found a few who were decommissioned and then recommissioned for what simply amounted to a refit:
CV-10 Yorktown:

quote:
On 21 March 1955, she was placed in commission, in reserve, at the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard where she was to receive extensive modifications-most significantly, an angled flight deck to increase her jet aircraft launching capability. She completed her conversion that fall and, on 14 October, was placed back in full commission.

The aircraft carrier resumed normal operations along the west coast soon after recommissioning.

and also the Constitution in an older case about the status of a ship while being worked upon:

quote:
Ordered to Boston, she was placed in ordinary for 6 years, undergoing extensive repair. In May 1821 she was recommissioned, serving as flagship of the Mediterranean Squadron, under Commodore Jacob Jones

--------------------

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Would there really have been enough time for Starfleet to patch up all the damage, go out, find and haul the Yorktown back to Earth, and slap a new registry on her? The interval can't have been all that long; IIRC, Kirk's uniform still had flag officer trim on it, even though he'd replaced his rank pin

What if they did travel to the A shortly after the trial. Who knows how much time between Kirk and Co. saving the world and standing trial. The Federation President and Starfleet probably came up with Kirk's punishment some time before the trial and made the necessary preparations.

--------------------
"Existence is random. Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it too long. No meaning save what we choose to impose. This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It?s us. Only us."
Rorschach

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing about the trial is that Gillian Taylor was ready to leave for outer space aboard a science vessel. One would thus assume she'd either already done all she could for George and Gracie to ensure their survival and procreation (which would probably take quite a bit of time, her being the only expert on the subject in the whole universe and all)... Or then she'd supervised the euthanasia of the two after the Probe had safely departed (which would take less time, but there would still have to be a safety margin before Starfleet would decide the Probe would not return with a Columbo-like "Oh, and by the way...").

I *can* imagine her going "screw the whales, I get to go to SPACE!", judging by her enthusiasm in her final scene. I just think the writers would have expected her to perform her sacred duty to the utmost, and all that.

Timo Saloniemi

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL @ Timo's post reguarding Gillian...
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
One thing about the trial is that Gillian Taylor was ready to leave for outer space aboard a science vessel.

And if the science vessel was a maritime vessel?

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Timo, you crack me up...

"Oh there's just one more thing, sir, while I'm thinking of these things..."

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Timo
Member # 245

quote:
One thing about the trial is that Gillian Taylor was ready to leave for outer space aboard a science vessel.

quote:
And if the science vessel was a maritime vessel?

Then we can be reasonably sure that it was a Ferengi who sold her the tickets. Or, barring the presence of the Ferengi that early in the timeline, perhaps Harry Mudd made it back from planet Mudd? In either case, she should have known better than trust a person who is being "nice" to a blonde from out of town.

Timo Saloniemi

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps