Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » What DS9 eps have featured docked Galaxies? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What DS9 eps have featured docked Galaxies?
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's try and find some likely candidates for our mystery NCC-70564 Galaxy from the DS9 Calender.

Here's a pic:

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can only think of three DS9 episodes and one TNG episode. The USS Enterprise-D was docked at DS9 in TNG's "Birthright" and DS9's "The Emissary." The USS Odyssey was docked there in "The Jem Ha'Dar." The USS Venture was docked there in "The Way of the Warrior, Part II."
Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At the end of "Sacrifice of Angels." It was a re-use of the "Way of the Warrior" shot, though.
However, (this is of no use)we've seen Nebulas docked there many times: "Second Sight," "Explorers," and "Doctor Bashir, I Presume."

--------------------
Meh

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, the re-use of the Venture footage would mean that it was one of those variants with the phaser strips on the nacelles, right. That wouldn't work, but I think it would be something from those later eps, because the DS9 Calender was from 2000 or 20001 or something like that, IIRC.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Veers
You first
Member # 661

Hmm. Analyzing the details, I am beginning to suspect that the publishers of the calendar got a Galaxy class vessel, used CG to put a name and regisrty on it, and then insert it into a shot of DS9. However, I may be mistaken. When I was watching the Dominion Episodes on there original air dates, I wasn't a big enough fan to remember what kind of ship was in each episode. (Only later did I say, "Hey look! There's an Exclsior--Nebula--Galaxy!") And, they only show DS9 reruns n Saturday now where I live.

--------------------
Meh

Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting thing to note: The Ent-D docked at DS9 with her docking port located on the torpedo deck. This mysterious Galaxy, and possibly the Venture if someone can verify, docks at the saucer like the Nebula-Class, thus blocking the other docking arm.
Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Veers is most likely right. None of the known docked Galaxies would work on this pic.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always been miffed at those latter shots of docked Galaxys. There's no docking structure on any part of the saucer rim, and at that particular location, there's just uninterrupted sensor groove in between observation lounges. Rick's deckplans show rooms at the ends of radial corridors on both deck 9 and 10 at those points, but there's nothing to correspond on the ship's exterior.

As for the re-use of footage of the Venture, I don't see why that can't be the Venture herself. After all, there were nine or ten Galaxys in "Sacrifice of Angels". The Venture almost has to be one of them, unless they're now crankin' those puppies out by the cartload...

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since the point about Galaxy's docking at DS9 has been raised - if you take the diametre of the Galaxy saucer (463.73 metres) and measure the distance between the ports on the docking pylons, you will notice that the saucer cannot fit! The gap is only about 459.44 metres, 4.29 metres too little. Something fishy going on me thinks.

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I'm sure Frank will jump in here and correct me I'm wrong, but Deep Space 9 had almost as many scaling problems as the Defiant. Sometimes they wanted the station to be bigger and sometimes they wanted the station to be smaller.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't see any problem with saying that there are Galaxy class ships out there with airlocks at those locations, though. It seems like a sensible place to put them, if you wanted to.
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have at least three good scenes from the show where the Defiant is ~120m. I'd like to see as many that show any other length (scaled against something of definitive size, of course), or any scene at all showing the Defiant to be 170m.
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*clicks repeatedly on the "edit post" icon on Frank's post in the hope that a UBB error will allow him to access the delete function*

[ July 24, 2001: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it was brought up.
Veers
You first
Member # 661

Antother thing about airlocks: Intrepid class ships apparently have airlocks on the side of the saucer (Voyager in "Caretaker") and on the point (the "ten-forward" part) of the saucer (as seen when a Yeager class ship docked with DS9 in "In the Cards") Here's a pic:Yeager Docking
Aethelwer, I may be wrong, but are you this "Frank G?" It says on your posts,so I would assume you are. Anyway, I only THINK this Yeager is docking in the picture from "In the Cards," but I'm not sure.

--------------------
Meh

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps