Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » "I have a picture of the USS Antares." (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: "I have a picture of the USS Antares."
Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, now it is, but everyone called them that during WWII.
You're from (in) Germany, Mike?

--------------------
Meh

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's all about context.
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take my word for it: "Jap" is a slur. Please don't use it. "Nip," "slant," "slope," "gook," "zipper-eye," "rice-eater," "ah-so," and "chink" should also be avoided (I've been called all of these at one time or another. I was also called "nigger" once by a confused young racist). If you don't believe me, try using "Jap" in conversation with a Japanese or Japanese-American.

I once got very angry in college when a friend of mine started referring to "JAPs." He was actually talking about "Jewish-American Princesses."

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And yet, I'll bet you'd have a hard time finding a very large group of people who would consider "Yank" to be a slur...
OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TSN, it's called Mississippi.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, southerners tend to not like the term if it's used to refer to them, because they consider it a term for northerners. But, if someone referred to, say, a Pennsylvanian as a "Yank", I doubt we'd see the Mississippians up in arms about it.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Actually, let me put that another way that might make more sense. A Mississipian would react to being called a "Yank" the same way a Chinese person would react to being called a "Jap". They don't necessarily dislike it because it's a slur, but rather because it's just incorrect.
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My grandparents came from Germany in the early 50s.. Not that i look different from everyone else so its not a real problem except when i actually speak German with someone. I'm not even real offended by the ones I mentioned, but addressing me by referreing to the N word of the party that used to run the country of my grandparents birth during the war is more problematic.

I would try to add some slurs to your list, but it would just make me look like a pig. Besides, it seems pretty comprehensive.
But we still hate those filthy Cardies right.. never forgive em for Setlik III...

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

bear
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, I realize this isn't the officers lounge or the flame board and that this has absolutely no connection to the topic at large , but what are everybodies thoughts on the possibility of the U.S. government paying reporations to African Americans slavery. I have really no opinion other the than the dread of the godawful hornets nest that will be dredged up if it becomes law.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bear: While threads that go off topic aren't really a problem, if you want to introduce a new, completely unrelated idea like that, it's best to post it somewhere else. It's not a bad topic for a thread. Go and post it in the Flameboard (just in case).

There's also "Brit". There are a fair few Scots who'd have being called "Brit", not because it's a slur, or incorrect, but because the Scottish are an irrational lot. Men wearing skirts? Crazy.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although I am white, I hate it when other cultures are ignorantly insulted. For instance, an Asian kid I know was called "Jackie Chan," and asked if he found all the rocks to the "Dragon Cave." And I hate racist people. All of 'em.
It is unlikely, however, Bear, that the US government will pay reparations to African-Americans, mainly because slavery in the United States is almost as old as the country. Plus, Europeans also joined in. And I believe every slave owner and former slave is dead.
The idea is one to think about (the Native Americans got reparations), but it may never happen.

--------------------
Meh

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, I can't see how being called "Jackie Chan" is an insult. That's like me being upset if someone called me "James Bond."

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neither is "Brit."

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about Austin Powers?
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Psyliam: I'm of an earlier generation, so Jackie Chan wasn't known when I was a kid. However, I was occassionally called "Hop Sing" (from Bonanza), "Fuji" (from 'McHale's Navy'), "Kato" (from the 'Green Hornet'), "Kwai Chang Caine" or Grasshopper (from 'Kung Fu'), and "Kung Fu." Take it from me, it's not something that I considered flattering. I was called these names for the simple reason that I was (and still am) a Japanese-Chinese-American. I don't care if these characters are considered cool or not; to look different from all others around you and to be repeatedly reminded of it, to have everything about you except your race ignored, and to be mocked by being called the name of a fictional character who bears a superficial resemblance to you are not pleasant things. I admit, I grew up in a fairly pleasant place (Minnesota), without the racial tensions of a place like California or St. Louis (where I went to college and med school), but I did run into plenty of instances of racial prejudice, ignorance, and insensitivity. I hope you can one day understand why calling a young Asian "Jackie Chan" is not acceptable.

[ September 11, 2001: Message edited by: Masao ]

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps