Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Akira Class (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Akira Class
deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seeing as how the ship that really was made to fight the Borg was nearly destroyed in FC, but the others weren't, that really wasn't that bad of an idea :P

------------------
The Unknown Vulcan

Pedro
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's the pic:

http://www.shiporama.org/junk/ff/akira.jpg . I found it fairly earthshaking myself...

IP: Logged
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone who insists that the Akira etc. must be old classes should be bludgeoned to death with the Prometheus, Phoenix, and a few Sovereign escape pods.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
Rodimus Prime: "No more jokes, Springer. Cybertron's in deadly danger. We're heading back there. Now."
Springer: "Yes sir, Mister Leader, sir."

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What registry did they give the Thunderchild? For all we know, they may have gotten the Spector and Thunderchild registries backwords, and that Thunderchild registry may be the real Spector registry

------------------
"The one, the only, THE 359!"

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eek! That is rather impressive.
Pedro
Ex-Member

BTW, does anyone else think that the boxy things in the cutouts near the edge of the saucer are side launching torpedo tubes? I had thought they were windows, which they clearly aren't...
deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You mean right below the phasers on the side? It looks like a docking port or something.

The lines around it could be for formation when docking with a ship or something.

------------------
The Unknown Vulcan

[This message was edited by DeadCujo on April 27, 1999.]

Brigman
Ex-Member

More important than registry numbers, I should think, are the design features. It is obvious from an artist or designer's point of view that the Akira is a stablemate of the Sovereign, NOT the older Galaxy class. Now, the Nebula, New Orleans, etc, are obviously of the Galaxy-class stable. But while the Akira may have preceeded the Sovereign, it would not have been of a different school of design altogether.

------------------
Peace!
Brigs

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As you mentioned, Brigman, it would appear to be standard procedure in Starfleet to test new ship designs on smaller scales before committing to the "flagship" classes. The Galaxy family, for instance.

It seems like a good idea to have more than one design philosophy in use at a time, just in case.

------------------
"It was sweet, like lead paint's sweet, but the aftereffects left me paralyzed."
--
They Might Be Giants

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My opinion has always been that the four FC ships were all being refitted, which is why there were so many of them Earth, they were practically the only ones at Earth, and they look newer than their registries suggest.

And the Prometheus is an exception. It would be preferable to have as few exceptions as possible...

------------------
"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others."
-George Orwell's Animal Farm

Trinculo
Ex-Member

The encyclopedia gives two registries for the USS Thunderchild. The first is the NCC-63549. The second is the NCC-65549. This registry is seen on a diagram of the ship.
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're just misreading the diagram. It's 63 anyway. Some did say 83, though.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
Rodimus Prime: "No more jokes, Springer. Cybertron's in deadly danger. We're heading back there. Now."
Springer: "Yes sir, Mister Leader, sir."

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Impressive Akira pic.

Either the people who designed the FC ships didn't look into the Encyclopedia for a suited registry range. Or it was intentional, yet illogical, and they thought "Let's design fecking new ships, but give them old numbers, so we don't have to explain there are four new ship types at a time".

If the numbers were strictly chronological, the Akira would be the only ship of the four where a 6xxxx number is justified. Maybe the ships have been refitted with new (Sovereign) escape pods, but I rather assume there are several standard types of escape pods that are used for more than one decade.

------------------
I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer. (McCoy in "Devil in the Dark")
www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Akira is clearly of the same family as the Galaxy, etc. The eliptical saucer, the similar warp nacelles and so on. No way is it part of the Sovereign family. Only the Norway with it's pointy saucer can be a post-Galaxy starship design.

------------------
-->Identity Crisis<--

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For all it's unusual design features, the overall 'look' (the livery, as it were) does seem more reminiscent of the Nebula family. The others, including the Norway regardless of its pointy nose, have a very retro look, in terms of their colours etc.

A long time ago, someone suggested that these ships might be recent converts from the armed forces of a new Federation member. I mean, the Sabre's nacelles look rather like those on Klingon ships, and the Norway's seem very old-fashioned.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps