Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Daedalus rethunk (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Daedalus rethunk
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a little comparison of the 1701, the 01, a Daedalus and an Akira.

She's not THAT big.

[ August 01, 2001: Message edited by: Harry ]

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Constellation of One
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Constellation of One     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Warp Drive = capable of sustained, repeated use of Warp, Warp Engines = only usable for a short period of time before they burn out and/or very slow Warp. Whle the Phoenix was capable of generating a warp bubble, it may not be strong enough to consider it Warp Drive."

Happy Target, you could be on to something there. That might explain why in First Contact, after the Phoenix supposedly went warp and then throttled back, we still saw a fairly good sized Earth through the her windows. Perhaps Cochrane initiated a warp bubble and got going at a fairly good clip (impulse using some low level warp field) before turning around.

If the Phoenix had actually gone warp 1 or higher, she probably would have travelled much further. I'm sure the math majors out there could actually figure out how far she flew based on the Earth's (I think) angular size. Either way, she didn't leave the vicinity of Mother Earth by a long shot.

Constellation of One, waiting for the flames to begin.

--------------------
Everything in life I ever needed to know I learned from The Simpsons.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, then what is the difference between Warp Drive, and Warp Coils - that Riker mentions in "A Matter of Time". Maybe this difference could explain Scotty's "Bonaventure" comment.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe there's room for reinterpretation, but all of the warp terminology has been pretty straight forward, so far...

Warp Drive: system for FTL propulsion as a whole
Warp Core: plasma supply for warp drive
Warp Coil: device for producing warp speeds
Warp Engine: array of warp coils
Warp Nacelle: outboard warp engine

All warp propulsion systems seem to use this same terminology.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Riker said in A matter of Time that Warp coils only allowed ships in the 22nd century to travel no further than a sector (or two?) And that Warp DRIVE allowed them to expand out into the universe...

Maybe this fits in with the comment in "The Cage" where they had broken the 'time barrier' or what ever.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps