Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » All About the Pre-E Tech! [Spoilers, y'know...] (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: All About the Pre-E Tech! [Spoilers, y'know...]
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or we can explain them away by saying the VFX shots are enhanced for our viewing pleasure, and don't accurately portray what we would really see.
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, hell, that's the excuse we've been using for years to explain the sounds in outer space.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True. You don't sit through Star Wars and complain about the lasers being visible, do you?

You do? You sad person. Go outside and find a life.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, everytime I find a life it tries to run away from me. So now I've started setting bear traps. That'll stop the little bastards from getting away from me! Ha ha ha ha!
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...that's the excuse we've been using for years to explain the sounds in outer space."

That was my point. :-)

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Liam,

You crack me up. Now, go drive on the wrong side of the road.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spatial torps? Didn't they have the same things in some VOY eps? And didn't those come from the far future? Oh well, it is better than photorps...

Phase pistols sounds good. Seems to imply that the laser technology isn't sophisticated enough to apply to hand-held weapons (as seen in "The Cage", set in 2251, IIRC).

And one advice for Malcolm Reed: please don't invent phaser banks, you'll needlessly contradict the TNGTM and common sense.

About that hull-armor: could it be that the "Endgame" shields were some sort of VFX test for the new series? I sure hope not!

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

Actually, I think Voyager used multispatial torpedoes and probes. What that means is anyone's guess. I'm guessing that they'll explain the operation of the spatial torpedoes in Enterprise. Anyone want to take guesses as to how they work? Probably not matter and antimatter, I'd guess.

**Voyager Endgame Spoilers in the below paragraph**

I'm still not all that clear on this retractable hull plating on the Enterprise. There don't appear to be any openings on the hull for the plating to slide out from. Also, I doubt it's going to be appearing by the hull plates flipping over (kinda like the first season Viper change-over effects). It cannot be the same FX sequence as in Endgame because those that seemed to subject some sort of replication technology in order to place the ablative armor onto the outer hull. Enterprise's time period has no replication technology. So it has to be something different.

**Voyager Endgame Spoilers in the above paragraph**

And while I think it'd be a lame plot device to have Malcolm Reed develop phaser banks, I think its logical that phasers first appeared in large shipmounted units prior to development as small handheld weapons. However, the main point becomes is this realistic for the time period? I don't know. I don't have the TNG tech manual or my copy of The Cage sitting out at the moment (I'm in the middle of packing, so I can't pull them out either).

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd have no problem with the ship brandishing phasers, but it seems absurd to think that *Malcolm Reed* would invent them. How could one lone man do anything of the sort, far away from the laboratories and factories required?

I trust the shuttle launch info in the Bible is outdated by now - the eventual design with aft-facing doors does not really lend itself to an arm-launch sequence the way a dorsal or ventral set of doors would. People understand cranes that move things up or down, but they don't understand cranes that move things horizontally.

Contrary to some comments, I think the two years in the AC-Arcturus run refers to one-way trip, not a round trip - meaning that warp 2 is about 18c by this interpretation. Either it's actually something like warp 2.6-2.7 (but still counting as warp 2 in starship crew parlance as long as warp 3 is not actually reached), or then the numbers don't follow the cubic formula quite as well as the Neptune remark. Still, we're in the ballpark.

Vulcans have an acute sense of smell? Okay. It's not like Spock ever demonstrated that, though (the "Yes" in the elevator scene in ST5 does not count as "acute sense", I trust).

Timo Saloniemi

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JeffK: Well, since, from your prespective, Liam DOES drive on the other side of the road, he's OK. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To me, the canon dorsal shot of the Ent from TV Guide sure seems to show a shuttle bay on the aft end of the saucer. Possibly two small bays. You can't really see the doors, but the markings and signage (i.e. tellow stripes) seem consistant with shuttlebay markings.

I can't wait to see what the underside of this thing looks like though.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Posting within seconds of each other and 40 second episodes: just remember that if we go 'by the book' seconds will seem like minutes and minutes will seem like hours.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps