Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Ent-(-A) Shuttles and Shuttlebay (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Ent-(-A) Shuttles and Shuttlebay
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or maybe Eaves come up with it on his own...gee, there's a novel idea.

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm... Now that I had a chance to look through the whole promo clip with the shuttles, and not just the stills, it seems to me that there IS in fact an aft door to the shuttles. It seems that a flight of stairs leads down from the upper level to the upper aft part of Pod 1, and a hatch has been opened there and is visible behind the launching arm. No stairs or hatch are visible on Pod 2.

Presumably the shuttles will have two or three doors - the upper-aft one for boarding while docked to the ship, and the side door(s) for use on planetary surfaces. Hopefully, the aft door will incorporate an airlock, unless the whole shuttle is to be evacuated whenever the crew wants to disembark to a hostile atmosphere or vacuum.

This leaves very little room for propulsion - so these shuttles may not be quite that much more realistic than later-era shuttles after all.

Timo Saloniemi

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I, too was wondering about an airlock. If there isn't going to be any shields, I don't think they'll have a nice forcefield holding the atmosphere of the shuttlebay intact.

Oh and one other thing

Siegfried said:

quote:
Wow. I really like that set. It's a very nice departure from the usual boring design of the
other four series.

NOW JUST HANG ON A MINUTE!

DS9 had the most FANTASTIC sets EVER... the Promenade... Ops... ahhhh.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And, of course, Andrew, the inference goes to the set design of shuttle bays. The shuttle bay sets of TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY, and the movies have all been incredibly boring. All they have been are huge two-story garages. This set for the Enterprise shuttle bay showed a compact structure with a busy and interesting design. Not a big cubic space uninterrupted except for a control booth.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought the Defiant Shuttle bay was very cool. Of course we only got to see it that one time in "The Sound of Her Voice", and even then, not for very long. But the illustration in the Tech Manual looked like a great set...to me anyway.

I also rather like the runabout pads and their bays.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah. I forgot about the Defiant's little shuttle bay. That was a pretty neat design. Single shuttle deployment, circular design, very nice. Yeah, I did like the design of that bay a lot.

But the runabout pads, did we ever see the runabout bay? All I can remember are seeing the pads elevate to the outer hull with the runabouts powering up as the pads stopping moving.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was a very detailed shot of the interior of the runabout storage room when the Romulan shuttle in episode *mumble* visited the station.
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"In the Pale Moonlight"... a very well done episode...and yes we did get a nice interior shot. There are also good schematics of the runabout pads in the tech manual.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

Ah. That explains it then. I do not own the DS9 Technical Manual (but I did see the Defiant shuttle bay drawing somewhere on the 'net). I also only saw the final fifteen minutes of "In The Pale Moonlight." So that's why I haven't seen the runabout pad.

I'll take your word for it, though.

--------------------

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For what it's worth a better shot of the people on the catwalk.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it me or is it that the shuttle on the left of the pic looks like a Type-9 with the nacelles ripped off? Anyway, I like the catwalk above the shuttles.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps