Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Unknown "thing" from TNG "Symbiosis" (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Unknown "thing" from TNG "Symbiosis"
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Valiant-class debate started pretty much with the release of a book called Deep Space 9: The Continuing Mission (I believe that's what it was called, anyway). This was a behind the scenes look at Deep Space 9, and on the section for the USS Defiant, the book called the ship a Valiant-class vessel.

This sparked a debate that lasted for many years (pretty much until the phrase "Defiant-class" was used in one of the final chapter episodes from Deep Space 9). I was a lurker on the BG Trek Zone forums at the time, so I remember some of the heated arguments. Because this one book said "Valiant-class" a faction decided that this was the gospel truth. The others held to the belief that since the Defiant was a prototype, then the prototype carries the name of the class.

In the end, the "Defiant-class" faction won. But it was a bloody battle with many casualties. However, this battles pales in comparison to the great Defiant Length Debates.

By the way, Veers, if you did intend that rant to be a joke, you really do need to work on the delivery.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go away Veers. Far away. Far, far, far away. Preferably, in a galaxy a long time ago.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What? Maybe the "bitter enemies" part was somewhat a joke, but the rest were my true feelings. A superlaser could destroy a Prometheus, SW has made billions more than ST, George Lucas is all powerful and mighty, and in my opinion is a better Sci-Fi achievement than ST. That was not a joke.

--------------------
Meh

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't believe I'm doing this, but...

"A superlaser could destroy a Prometheus"

The superlaser (what a stunningly original name) could destroy anything. Of course, the original one could only be used on planets, and the second one still required a lengthy charge up time. The Death Star being able to destory a planet was A Big Deal. The Defiant could destroy a planet. There were only two Death Stars. There are potentially loads of Star Trek ships that could level planets.

"SW has made billions more than ST"

That's not an argument of quality. The Lost World made more than Jurrasic Park, ir memory serves. Yet it's inferior in almost every way.

"George Lucas is all powerful and mighty"

Most of the jokes I want to put in would cause small children to scream, but I will ask, don't you think that Lucus is maybe, just maybe, a one hit wonder?

"and in my opinion is a better Sci-Fi achievement than ST."

George Lucus is a Sci-Fi achievement? What is a sci-fi achievement? Are we basing this on how many people watch it, or something more?

Your previous post also said that the Trek movies wouldn't have been possible without SW. Star Wars likely wouldn't have been possible without the original Trek series.

And, for a follow up, incredibly fun plot oversights from the Phantom Menace. Shock! George Lucus isn't infallible.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ummm...

Marshal Veers: You are hereby demoted back to General.

Sorry.

I personally like Star Wars quite a bit and I dare say just about as much as Star TRek. But I don't think you were very smart to be so blatant. You really can't compare the two anyways, so there's no point in screaming and arguing about it.

Apples and Oranges,
The Mighty Monkey of Mim

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Veers
You first
Member # 661

"I can't take this abuse much longer!"
I was never some lame Soviet rank of Marshal, MMoM. I was always Admiral. I will not bow to your will, or anyone else's. So, "Damn you. Damn you all to Hell!"

--------------------
Meh

Kosa
Member # 650

- posted      Profile for Kosa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You said that SW has made more money than Star Trek ever will. I wonder what kind of fan you are if value the success of a series on the basis of how much money it has made. I’d like to see SW go through 4 lengthy series and numerous movies and still remain popular and successful.

--------------------
More human than human -Blade Runner

Veers
You first
Member # 661

Cease this torment at once! I was merely stating a fact. I never once said that that was the reason I like Star Wars more. Never. It is true, but the reason is that Star Wars has, shall we say, better writing than Star Trek. IN MY OPINION. Got that?

--------------------
Meh

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, I do really, really like Star Wars, but if I was going to post any sort of argument defending it, the last thing I'd want to bring up is the writing.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which, oddly enough, is also what people use to boast about "Babylon Five."

"Oh, man, they had great writing..."

They may have had good story ideas, but the dialogue is as wooden as my desk here.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Veers
You first
Member # 661

Oh come on, DS9 had good writing, but there is no way Voyager's writing was better than SW's. I can come up with better dialogue for Voyager.

--------------------
Meh

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to think these sorts of threads never actually happened.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

True. It's like one of those things that everyone knows happens, but no-one has ever actually seen.

Perhaps it is a sign. Perhaps we should start up a Enterprise vs Defiant thread. And Borg vs Dominion. And a Death Star vs Enterprise. And Death Star vs Unicron. And Unicron vs Defiant. And Transmetal Megatron vs BM "sugar pot" Megatron. And JeffK vs Dolph Lungren.

--------------------

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll put $20 on Dolph!

[ August 05, 2001: Message edited by: The359 ]

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unicron vs. Dolph caged heat free-for-all. Winner takes on Simon "Spearchucker" Sizer.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps