Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » My fellow Canadians... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: My fellow Canadians...
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll try to keep the patriotism to a minimum. (Besides, patriotism is a characteristic unbecoming of Canadians, anyway. Except when the Americans are around.)

Anyhoo, the current issue of the Canadian TV Guide has a feature on Enterprise, which apparently includes an interview with Herman Zimmerman about the production design done for the series.

I cheer! I rejoice! I might be responsible for bringing some new Enterprise tech details to light!

Now, I don't subscribe to TV Guide, so I say to myself, no worries, I'll run down the local supermarket and pick up a copy. Nothing. Indeed, I checked out half the corner-store type establishments in my town today and didn't turn up a single copy of TVGuide, either the current issue or an older one or anything. Now, up until a year ago I can clearly remember seeing them in supermarkets at the checkouts and such, but now I'm thinking that the Canadian version has now gone subscription-only.

So I'm appealing to my fellow maple-bloods to see if anybody here knows how to get their sticky little hands on this puppy and check her out for new 'n interesting bits. I and everybody else, especially the ones unlucky enough to live in a blasted country where Canadian TV Guide isn't available, would be rather pleased to see it appear online.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like we might need to ask the Yanks for help on this one...

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What, we'll get them to drive across the border and find the magazine here then drive home and report it?

We may only have legalized scanners 18 months ago up here (still waiting for the CRTC to give the go-ahead to digital cameras), but I'm pretty sure that enough people up here have one that we should be capable of getting it online ourselves.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scanners and Digital Cameras are illegal? Please tell me you're joking...
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

Sadly it is. We've always had really draconian laws about protecting copywrite up here. VCRs took forever to get cleared for public use, and the government surcharge on blank tapes is still so high that I buy all mine when I shop in the US. At least it kept Canadians from buying VCRs until the whole Betamax/VHS thing was cleared up.

Napster was never really able to establish itself up here, either, as all ISPs were forced to block it. Of course, overseas proxy servers were there for those who knew how to use them.

Scanners are a similar story, although for the life of me I have no idea why digital cameras are still being cracked down-on. I mean, you can take a still pic of something and then scan it in and achieve the desired effect. Governments are funny like that...

--------------------

James Fox
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You must be kidding.

Otherwise why, If digital cameras are banned, am I able to walk over to my local Rona hardware store (here in Sherbrooke, Qu�bec), where there is an entire section *filled* with model upon model of digital camera, complete with all the acessories?

Why, If scanners only became legal in the last 18 months, was I able to buy one *3 years* ago at a local computer store (for a good price)? And why would the photocopiers that one can find all over the place be allowed, when scanners are banned?

Why, if Canadian ISP's were supposed to block Napster, was I able to use it frequently from my Vid�otron account? I've never used a proxy in my life.

Quite a lot in your statement simply does not compute.

IP: Logged
The Vorlon
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for The Vorlon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I concur. I don't know what T_T is on about, but Napster, Digital Cameras and Scanners are quite abundant and legal on south-western Ontario....

--------------------
Sheridan: "Well, as answers go, short, to the point, utterly useless and totally consistant with what I've come to expect from a Vorlon..."
Kosh: "Good."
Sheridan: "I REALLY hate it when you do that..."
Kosh: "Good."

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tom, are you accidently talking about the parallel universe version of Canada again?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

For feck's sakes, couldn't you guys have held off on the comments until after somebody else had bumbled in and made an Americanesque comment?

I guess I'm just not cut out of the same cloth as Rick Mercer.

Back to the topic at hand, TVGuide? Anyone?

--------------------

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, wait, I'm confused...

Are they illegal or not?

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apparently Tom was making a poor attempt at fabricating a nation that people in others would poke fun at, until he revealed that such a nation did not exist. I'm not sure why.
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

Whatever about Frank's puzzlement, I'm just disgusted that my countrymen failed to pick up on the connection between the cover on the TVGuide in question and the content of this thread.

--------------------

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The_Tom,

The Kids in the Hall, you are not.

[ August 12, 2001: Message edited by: Stingray ]

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er, um, yeah. Right. Lost me there...

Anyhoo, I'll see if I can get down to the Co-Op sometime and get the TV Guide.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Christopher,

Please - PLEASE - PLEASE tell me you have at least heard of the Kids in the Hall.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps