Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Number of Decks On... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Number of Decks On...
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, you're right. And after counting my Enterprise-C model, I think that I would say the ship has between 30-35 decks.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watch TMP. When Spock is going up the turbolift shaft on those rocket boots, he passes numbers on the wall. I think one says 40-something. Apparently, the Galaxy class has 42 decks, or so Encyclopedia 1 states.
(I know about the much-debated canon-ness (?) of it, especially #1, so that number may be wrong.

--------------------
Meh

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um, Veers...

Spock's rocket boots up the turbolift shaft was in STAR TREK V: THE FINAL FRONTIER. Not Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Spock goes up 78 decks (an utter impossibility).

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The number of decks on the Enterprise-D is canonical set at 42, so there's no debate on that. In "Yesterday's Enterprise," Tasha Yar tells Lt. Castillo of the Enterprise-C that her ship has 42 decks.

Canonically speaking, the Enterprise-A has at least 78 decks. The turbolift scene in Star Trek V: The Final Frontier confirms that the decks are also numbered in reverse fashion with 78 being at the top of the shaft and 1 being at the bottom. Also canonically speaking, there are two deck 48s on the Enterprise-A. This is one of those times we I say to hell with canonicity and that we just ignore this part of The Final Frontier.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Veers
You first
Member # 661

Oh. Sorry. I need to brush up on Star Trek feature films.
So, I guess that the Enterprise would be rather tall with 78 decks.

--------------------
Meh

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was an in-joke. There's one deck for every episode of the Original Series.

Don't you just looooove Shatner?

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess that 78 comes from combining "The Menagerie" as one episode? Hmm... never noticed that before. Of course, I've always said 79 original episodes.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I think that's how they got it. Or maybe they left out "Where No Man Has Gone Before" since it was the pilot and not a regular episode.
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

Do you think that the numbers along the turboshaft we saw clearly were William Shatner's favorite episodes?

--------------------

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two quick facts that I know

1. Sickbay is on deck five of the USS Enterprise NCC-1701. "Amok Time"
2. There are 42 decks. "11001001"

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In DS9's "Trials and Tribbleations", when the crew start searching for the bomb on the Enterprise, Miles and Bashir start from the bottom of the ship and work their way up. In the episode one of the characters clearly states that they start from deck 21. So this means that the 1701 has at least 21 decks but it also implies that deck 21 is the bottom of the ship.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

Veers
You first
Member # 661

Actually, it's the number of episodes Kirk gets into a fight. 78.

--------------------
Meh

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One point though with the counting of the visible rows of windows on the Ambassador - is it not possible that some decks will have no visible windows at all? This would push the deck count even higher. The Connie may have 20 some decks, but they are not all windowed. One relevant area on the Ambassador which may have no visible windows could be deck positions connecting the saucer to the neck, and the neck to the secondary hull. Also right at the bottom, in the bowels of the ship. We really may need a line of dialogue to set the record straight on this.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These are the conclusions I came to. If you look at the model, its only reasonable to assume that the decks are even in height. Doing this, you come to thirty or so decks.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just because a deck doesn't have windows does not mean that window based counting won't work. Infact, it works just the same. If you have three rows of windows you can measure the middle ground between the middle and top one then the middle and bottom one. This gives the measure of one standard deck--- a good estimation.

Even if you assume that there is always anotehr deck between those three rows of windows: Another way of counting is using standard heights, something around 4 meters per deck.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

me@webj.cjb.net
http://webj.cjb.net

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.