Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Number of Decks On... (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Number of Decks On...
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few of the Ambassador window rings, especially closer to the center of the saucer, make me wonder if there aren't TWO window rings for 1 deck in some spots.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, the window placement on the Ambassador class is completely illogical. The top of the saucer must have a couple of decks with two or even three throws of windows. Deck 4 would indeed be a contendor for having three window rows.

This isn't completely unheard of though. For instance, the Galaxy class must have one deck on the top side of the saucer that has two rows of windows (probably either deck 8 or 9).

Anyway, then we have the Ambassador secondary hull. Here we have about half as many window rows as there must be decks. I honestly can't think of any good Trek explanation for this. Obviously the model builder/designers didn't give it enough thought or, most likely, they didn't have enough time.

Another thing worth bringing up - it's pretty silly that the primary hull doesn't have its own impulse engine(s). Maybe there wasn't enough to go around after the four on the Ent-B .

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, TOS ships had very few windows, while TNG ships had plenty. The E-C probably tried to strike a happy medium. It had more windows than an Excelsior, because the concept of saucertop windows was introduced, but the windows on the secondary hull were just as sparse as in an Excelsior.

And it only seems logical for there to be as many rows of windows on each deck as possible, so that everybody can enjoy a starview.

Timo Saloniemi

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps