Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » A wacky line

Author Topic: A wacky line
colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In "The Changeling", as Nomad is attempting to 'repair' the USS Enterprise's engines, Scotty gives an order to a subordinate at a control console. The order:

"Protect that polymass!"

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bill's hairpiece.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Poly-mass?

Multiple mass!?

That's nonsense. Was there any clue as to where this polymass was located, or what it's supposed to do?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well the Poly- prefix literally means 'many' rather than 'multiple' (Multi-) and in modern usage tends to denote a certain flexibility. In other words something that can change between the different forms/value rather than something that merely exists in different forms/values.

So maybe a Polymass is connected with the artificial gravity system? It's something that can have one of a number of different masses, thereby creating different gravity fields. Or maybe not.

--------------------
"My theories appal you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters and you don't like my tie." - The Doctor

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shik! LOFL! HEEEHEHEHEHEHEH!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe he actually said, "Protect that polymath." A polymath is a person of encyclopedic learning. Why such a person is hanging around engineering or needs protection is unclear.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"LOFL"? "Laughing On Floor, Laughing"?
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe that's "Laying on the Floor, Laughing"

Could the PolyMass(tm) be a fitness device?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no, Laughing out fucking loud! heh heh sorry. No semi-colon either ;o)

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A fitness device? Near the donut monster that we know Scotty is to become?

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well apparently it wasn't protected or protected enough as we know how big Scotty became.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps