Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Museum Ship (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Museum Ship
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Mighty Monkey of Mim is right, provided that the ship in the Museum is technically still in service. Maybe its engines are sometimes powered for flights through the solar system, as Masao suggested it for the Kongo on the SF Museum website.

I like the idea that the Republic is the one from TOS, and I firmly believe that the Enterprise-A is in the museum too (albeit not operational). Puls, there might be several mothballed Constitutions... (BoBW!)

The alleged Intrpid/Conny kitbash is almost definitely the Voyager prototype, and this ship has nothing in common with the Connie.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The USS Exeter could be the museum ship, since it was abadoned and her entire crew killed. Therefore, Starfleet figured they didn't have enough command officers and crew to restaff the Exeter, they could just put it in the museum.
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Except that there's already been an Ambassador-class Exeter in TNG and DS9...

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your point? If a ship's in a museum, it obviously is no longer in service. I mean, the Battleship USS North Carolina is a museum, but there is a Submarine USS North Carolina in service...

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think that they would bring a ship back if it had been abandoned and its crew killed. This will no doubt contadict the "Ahwahnee in 'Redemtion'" fact, but I don't know if that is the one from BoBW. I think its more reasonable to think its a new ship, but the regisrty is the same, so I would like the idea of Starfleet repairing old ships from Wolf 359.

--------------------
Meh

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
Except that there's already been an Ambassador-class Exeter in TNG and DS9...

VOY Non Sequitur, DS9 You Are Cordially Invited, and DS9 In The Pale Moonlight

[ August 19, 2001: Message edited by: Spike ]

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Veers, it's not the same ship. It has a different registry. The one from BoBW is NCC-73260. The one from Redemption is NCC-71260.

Besides, the only ship that survived 359 was the Nebula-class Endeavour.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

Ugh...

You're digging up all the mistakes we try to quietly sweep under the carpet, Monkey...

Besides, going strictly CANON, the Endeavour was never at Wolf 359. Janeway never mentioned that Captain Amisov had even encountered the Borg.

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

quote:
You're digging up all the mistakes we try to quietly sweep under the carpet, Monkey...

They're not mistakes and they don't belong under there.

You have forgotten two important facts about me, The359. One, that I do not believe that registry numbers are sequential. Two, that I trust what's in the Encyclopedia.

--------------------

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

What do registry numbers have to do with the Endeavour? Also, if you trust what's in the Encyclopedia, then the USS Raman is NCC-599....whatever that wrong registry was. The Encyclopedia merely assumed, like it has done before. Remember, we;ve known other ships to encounter the Borg at places BESIDES Wolf 359. The Tombaugh. The Excalibur. There is no reason to assume that the Endeavour was at Wolf 359.

Also, going back to the "Voyager kitbash", just because we suddenly get a ship that looks like it in the DS9TM means in NO WAY that it is marked USS Voyager NCC-73602 or anything like that. In fact, there is no reason to believe it was even shown on screen...

--------------------

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:

Before some folks get into an uproar, I'll tell you what ASSUMPTIONS I am making so that they can save their breath telling me that I'm proceeding on false grounds.

I'm going to comment on your assumptions. Just because I can

quote:

1. Picard's line in "Relics" (TNG) means that there is one Connie in the Fleet Museum that retains it's original (TOS-style) configuration.

Agreed.

quote:

2. The Republic mentioned in "Valiant" (DS9) is the same ship as from "Court Martial" (TOS) and TUC, the Constitution-class NCC-1371.

There's no on screen evidence that the TOS Republic is a Constitution. There's no on screen evidence that the ship mentioned in DS9 is the same as the ship mentioned in TOS.

quote:

3. All the Constitution-class ships in TUC are refitted types. Specifically the Eagle, Kongo, Endeavour, Republic, and Potemkin.

We don't have any way of knowing that. The Eagle was shown on a chart but the othsrs could be pre-refit.

quote:

4. Usually (though not ALWAYS) if we see one ship that carries a name, and then we see a later ship with the same name, it means that the older vessel has been lost/ destroyed.

Isn't it enough to say that the previous ship has been removed from service?

Even if museum ships are still technically in commission in Starfleet (another assumption) there's no reason why that should prevent another ship having the same name - in 1917 the USS Constitution was renamed Old Constitution so that a new battle cuiser could be called Constitution. The battle cruiser programme was later cancelled the the original name restored.

quote:

5. The ship in the fleet museum is not one that we’ve never heard of. (This makes sense since there were established to be only 12 Connies originally, probably with the rest being introduced in two or three subsequent batches, the latter of which would all be refit-types.)

There was 'a dozen like her in the fleet' in TOS season one. That says nothing about how many were lost prior to TOS season one, nor about how many were built after TOS season one.

quote:

Now that we've gotten that out of the way, here it goes.

Here are all the known Constitution-class vessels:
U.S.S. Constellation, NCC-1017
U.S.S. Constitution, NCC-1700
U.S.S. Defiant, NCC-1764
U.S.S. Eagle, NCC-956
U.S.S. Endeavour, NCC-1895
U.S.S. Enterprise, NCC-1701
U.S.S. Enterprise, NCC-1701-A
U.S.S. Essex, NCC-1697
U.S.S. Excalibur, NCC-1664
U.S.S. Exeter, NCC-1672
U.S.S. Farragut, NCC-1647
U.S.S. Hood, NCC-1703
U.S.S. Intrepid, NCC-1831
U.S.S. Kongo NCC-1710
U.S.S. Lexington, NCC-1709
U.S.S. Potemkin, NCC-1657
U.S.S. Republic, NCC-1371
U.S.S. Yorktown, NCC- 1717
U.S.S. Valiant, NCC-1223

Valiant was lost 50 years prior to TOS. So either the Constitution class is much older than commonly held (and in fact is slightly older than 'The Making of Star Trek' and fan speculation had it) or the Valiant is not a Constitution.

For some of the above there's no on screen evidence that they are Constitutions. Merely long standing speculation by fans (and production staff).

quote:

There's also these two ships from the DS9 episode "Sacrifice of Angels," which are Excelsior/Constitution-class and Intrepid/Constitution-class starship Variants, respectively:
U.S.S. Curry, NCC-45617
U.S.S. Voyager, NCC-73602

Why bother mentioning these? If any ship that uses Constitution components is relevant then why not list all the Mirandas and Sydneys?

quote:

We can further eliminate the Valiant, Defiant, Constellation, Intrepid, and Farragut, as these ships were destroyed in TOS.

No evidence that the Farragut was destroyed, merely speculation. More likely that the Exeter was abandoned (how would they decomtaminate her?) or that one or more of the 'Ultimate Computer' ships were scrapped following their mauling by M-5.

--------------------
"My theories appal you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters and you don't like my tie." - The Doctor

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you were in charge of Starfleet Ops, would you scrap a starship that was just damaged? No, you send her to Spacedock, mourn the crew, and go on with your life. Like Wally Schirra once said (in reference to the Apollo 1 fire): "You don't wear the black armband forever." Bottom line is its the largest, most powerful ship in existence at the time, and I wouldn't scrap it because it's crew was gone in either case of the Exeter or M5 one.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stingray:
If you were in charge of Starfleet Ops, would you scrap a starship that was just damaged?

Depends how badly damaged the ship is. If the spaceframe has been compromised to such an extent that any attempt to go above warp 2.6 shakes her apart then it may be cheaper to scrap her and build a new one.

In the case of the Exeter the ship is completely intact. But is contaminated with a disease, the only cure for which is to spend time on the planet. How do you use that ship again? Maybe pumping all the air out and/or exposing the ship to radiation will kill the disease. Maybe it won't.

Nothing is repairable for ever.

--------------------
"My theories appal you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters and you don't like my tie." - The Doctor

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Encyclopedia never states that the Endeavour was, in fact, the sole survivor of Wolf 359. It says, quote "The Endeavour appears to be the sole survivor of Wolf 359, although this was not explicitly established in any episode." Then it says, "It therefore seems likely that the Endeavour (and Asamov) were also at Wolf 359 in 2367."
That is the equivalent of saying there is a possibility it was at Wolf 359, and it MAY be the surviving vessel.
Not, "it definitely is."

--------------------
Meh

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't there a moment in Voyager where Janeway was going over certain Captain's logs which involved Borg encounters? Picard was one, and I'm sure Amazov was the other. I think the episode was 'Scorpion'. I could be wrong with this though....

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps