Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Defiant and Sabre Class Differences (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Defiant and Sabre Class Differences
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When the Borg attack, ALL ships are meant to fight the Borg.
Although I wouldn't want to have been the captain of the Bonestellat Wolf 359. Two phaser banks on my science ship because the Oberth model is what was laying around Paramount's lot that day

On the registries, I like the Naval Construction Contract explanation. The ships are number based on the order in which the Fedration council allocates the funds (or whatever they use for money, because they dont have money but they do have money sometimes) to build them.
It's story time...
For example, lets say it is the 2340s or 50s. The council says, 'lets plan to build 1000 starships.' So they make out the contracts for 59000 through 60000 and assign them names. Some ships, like the Ambassador-class USS YouessessNCC-59501 are built within a year because they already have the design down pat, having built them for a decade or three. But the USS PrometheusNCC-59650 is a new design, which they dont even have a shape for yet. So Dr. Banzai draws some sketches, submits them, they get rejected so he gets mad and makes some more with an impossible configuration. He goes on sabbatical to Risa for a few years while the council studies the feasibility of making a multi-vector attack ship. Dr. Banzai dies of jamaharon and the project is put on hold. A new Prometheus is built in 2360, and destroyed by tribbles in the Gamma Quadrant in 2370. Finally construction begins on this new class, and in 2374 the starship USS PrometheusNCC-59650 is built. But evryone gets mad because it's registry number doesnt match! So the Federation council lets it get captured by Romulans to quell the protests on the homeworlds. Ah, politics....

So even though some Sabres have 8xxxx registries, Starfleet isnt going to be mass producing the contracts that begin with that until they move out all the paperwork on the 7xxxx vessels

That's my story..

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The sabers do not have 8XXXX range registeries, that is a mistake in the encyclopedia. There is an image of the actual CG model and it's registery is clearly in the 6XXXX range.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok.. but i still wanted to make that point about how registries work...

--------------------

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Norway was also seen on a chart in "Favor the Bold." This chart is seen near the DS9 TM's beginning.

--------------------
Meh

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Two phaser banks on my science ship because the Oberth model is what was laying around Paramount's lot that day."

Not to be picky, but, er, I didn't think that the Oberth model had any phaser banks on it anywhere. Have we ever seen one fire?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No phaser banks anywhere? In the 24th century? I think conjecturing they had a couple i not too far out of line.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I didn't think that the Oberth model had any phaser banks on it anywhere. Have we ever seen one fire

Yes we have, there is one in the STFC battle that fires from the front of the sauser.
it comes round the left side of the cube just as an Akira explodes in the foreground....as I recall.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CaptainMike:

I, too, prefer the Naval Construction Contract theory, but unfortunately it still doesn't explain why ships in the same class would have wildly divergent numbers if the class has just been proposed. I'll grant you that, for example, if the fleet decided it needed some replacement Excelsiors in the mid 24th century, they would have much higher registries than the initial production run.

However, this still leaves us with a registration scheme that largely makes no sense. Let's be realistic. Whatever part of the Federation government that oversees fleet funding isn't going to wake up one morning and say "OK, today we're going to buy two Galaxys, three Nebulas, a Defiant and five Danubes." From an economic and logistical standpoint, that would be madness. Starship production runs would be allocated in single blocks, and so should their registry numbers. Given the way starships are numbered currently, unless they pick the numbers by throwing darts at a wall chart, I can't figure out the logic of the system.

We'd all be better off if TPTB hadn't tried to assign Constitution-class membership to the ships on the wall chart in "Court-Martial".

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

Fedaykin Supastar
Member # 704

- posted      Profile for Fedaykin Supastar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooh important question:
since there is no 'money' how are ships acquired/ordered?? If no canon explanation, fan (rational) theories perhaps?

--------------------
"Tom is Canadian. He thereby uses advanced humour tecniques, such as 'irony', 'sarcasm', and werid shit'. If you are not qualified in any of these, it will be risky for you to attempt to decipher what he means. Just smile and carry on."
- PsyLiam; 16th June

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They are built. There is no money, but there are still resources. Since replicatores can't build ships for very convenient reasons, they have to get the parts, supplies, etc. And they are a limited resource.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the future, sex is used as currency. This is not much different than the present.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

capped
Member # 709

I think starships ARE ordered in blocks, but sometimes these things crop up. It might be a political whim.. because we DO know politics of the Federation suck even in the 24th century.. Maybe they were building a block of Prometheus class in the 2350s, but the people staged a protest because a religious group in Canberra thought four warp nacelles was wrong, Jaresh Inyo bowed to concerns and decided to cancel the series, or even reassign the names and numbers to a different class. That would explain our Melbourne problem too.. a subcommittee examining the feasibility of defending sector 004 decided they wanted an Excelsior because of its maneuverability, so a Nebula class construction was cancelled and resources (assigned to that number) were rediverted to build a new Melbourne in the 2350s.

It definitely would be easier if they had listened to Franz Joseph instead of Greg Jein (the progenitor of the Constitution 956 through 1831 numbers from the Commodore's wall). But they didnt

I'm not saying they only order a few at a time. the only thing we do know is that the registries are roughly sequential, but not completely, so starships are not ordered in blocks or built at the same speed.
But what dont you think my explanation explains?

[ September 10, 2001: Message edited by: CaptainMike ]

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps