Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » NCC-1305-E (Page 2)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: NCC-1305-E
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The only ship with the letter numbering system is the Enterprise."

Canonically untrue. It's about as valid as saying "The E-D had twenty-five captain's chairs on the bridge at the same time in every episode.".

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, it's even less valid than that. You can verify that letter-suffix registries were seen every now and then, but you cannot verify those chairs weren't there. They could have been hoverchairs like the one used by Mark Jameison, and equipped with sensors that allowed them to flee to behind the cameraman or out of the Ready Room or turbolift doors every time the camera tried to catch them in the act.

Timo Saloniemi

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I'll grant that. *L*
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I'm not getting the hilarity. Why were there 25 captains chairs on the Ent-D bridge?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Because, canonically, there weren't. Just like, canonically, the E's aren't the only suffixed ships.
Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We can't consider anything canon until we see it.
We can't consider anything about the Yamato's regisrty until we get another source. We've got two registries, one that makes more sense, but we can't say anything is canon.
As for the Nash, the model makers must've been high while making it, since 2010-B would be the number for the third Jenolan, not the Nash.

--------------------
Meh

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought �t was NCC-2010-5.

There's also the Relativity with a "-G".

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And the Dauntless with an -A, which didn't seem to surprise Voyager's crew too much. One would think if only one starship in the entire Federation got a "letter" registry, Voyager's crew would've questioned it.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dunno. Riker was the one who said "NCC-1305-E". Riker. Now, I like Will, but he's hardly the fire that ignites the bridge crews intelligence. Perhaps it was a really stupid thing to say. And Data knew it. But didn't want to contradict him because that would have been rude. And everyone else was too busy trying not to laugh at Billy-boy.

And for the Dauntless? The Voyager crew are idiots. We've had more than enough proof of that over 7 years.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Veers:

We can't consider anything about the Yamato's regisrty until we get another source. We've got two registries, one that makes more sense, but we can't say anything is canon.

We do have another source. Given that Star Trek is fictional, it is helpful to consult with those who create said fiction. While it is not canon that the Yamato has a 71807 registry rather than 1305-E, we know that the ship was supposed to have that 71807 registry and it was only accident that gives us 1305-E. Therefore, we know that it is the 71807 registry which is correct, even though they are both canon. Canon is useful when it comes to most things... but this isn't a hard science, it is fiction and it has a real-world context. When contradictions creep in there's nothing wrong with finding out what the right answer is from somebody who would be there, like Mike Okuda.

Let me use another familiar, if non-tech, example. There are a total of four canon dates for the Eugenics Wars. "Space Seed" (TOS) gives the date of 1993-96 as well as an inferred date of 2067. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan gives an inferred date of 2085. Finally, "Dr. Bashir, I Presume?" (DS9) gives an inferred date of 2173. All of these dates are equally canon... but in all of the cases, the producers meant for the wars to be in 1996. The writers of "Space Seed" were assuming that Star Trek was set around 2200, as were the writers of Wrath of Khan. Ron Moore admitted that for "Dr. Bashir" he was just quoting Khan in Wrath of Khan without accounting for the century that had passed. In other words, despite having four canon dates, we know that three are mistakes... so there is no logical reason to debate over which is correct.

However, debates are seldom logical. If one wishes to pretend, for the sake of arguement, that they live in the thirtieth century and Star Trek is an accurate historical record, then there is ample room for debate. But the only logical reason one would have for doing so would be if one wanted, for instance, the Yamato to be 1305-E and therefore had to have an excuse to ignore the intentions of the producers. Otherwise, what is the imperative to only use canon, when there are other authoritative resources available?

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another good example are the Prometheus' NX-5xxxx and NX-7xxxx registries.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well said.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's look at what we're supposed to take as "canon."

If the Yamoto's supposedly correct 5-digit registry had been spoken in dialogue, we could accept that more easily as the correct registry. However, since the case for the registry dispute comes down to:

a) Spoken dialogue

b) Registry on model which needs to be freeze-framed to see; the producers' intentions

It seems to me, intentions are nice, but the spoken dialogue outweights that. If there was another instance of the spoken dialogue contradicting Riker's spoken dialogue, we could use the producer's intent to give the battle to the new spoken dialogue.

In any event, I believe that Riker's dialogue should out-weigh the producers' intent. I'm sorry, this just seems painfully obvious to me.

More evidence to support Riker's dialogue. Worf said he was "familiar" with the Yamato's layout. Due to other evidence from the producers', we know that even the same class of starship can have varying deck-plan layouts. This seems to suggest that Worf's previous assignment may have been the Yamato ... and he didn't raise a complaint until he and Riker beamed aboard. If the NCC-1305-E registry was wrong, Worf would've said, "hey! That's not the Yamato!"

[ September 08, 2001: Message edited by: MeGotBeer ]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

quote:
a) Spoken dialogue

b) Registry on model which needs to be freeze-framed to see; the producers' intentions

c) http://www.8ung.at/fitz/ships/canon/pics/yamato.jpg

d) http://www.8ung.at/fitz/graphics/pics/display_yamato.jpg

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Fine, it's on the graphics. My point stays the same. Until there's spoken dialogue to contradict it, Riker's statement is the final say. Sorry if this upsets people.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.