Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » NCC-1305-E (Page 6)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: NCC-1305-E
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think this is *my* favorite way to approach this: admitting that there exists a canon vs. canon contradiction, and not trying to claim that some canonical information inherently outweighs other types of information. If I'm going to believe that Trek is an entire fictional universe (which it isn't) and not just a collection of often unrelated episodes (which it is, but I'm in deep denial about that), then I have to accept the contradictions in it as "features", not as "bugs".

But once that step in the road to enlightenment is taken, then it becomes an issue of simply believing in what floats one's boat. I believe it's more "likely" that the registry was 1305-E and that a random computer error took place in "Contagion" - the sheer *number* or arguments for that seems crushing. I also believe that the Celsius scale has not been altered, and that Geordi LaForge (that kidder!) was just making one of his strange jokes there in "The Royale" (unfortunately with Data nowhere near him to correct the "error").

I do not try to impose any sort of systematic logic on my beliefs here, since I'm not engaged in a process of hunting down Trek "bugs". Instead, I'm engaged in a process of trying to understand Trek "features", even when they are contradictory, and I have to take a different approach on each "feature" to make it fit. When a line of dialogue has to be dismissed, I try to invent a reason to dismiss it (but with Riker and 1305-E, I can't). When a line of text or a special effect or a move made by an actor or his stuntman has to be dismissed, I try to invent a reason for that, too (and dismissing the "Contagion" registry seems easy enough - contrary to some arguments, we're NOT going to see the Yamato again, except perhaps in a calendar page or something).

Of course, it would be more systematic and logical to just hunt down the "bugs", and dismiss them on the merit of them not being "features". But I don't believe in the existence of "bugs" in the Trek universe - it's perfect and self-consistent, even if the TV show describing that universe is not.

Timo Saloniemi

Fedaykin Supastar
Member # 704

- posted      Profile for Fedaykin Supastar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do we know the Class names for the "Akira", "Steamrunner", "Sabre" and "Norway" classes? from on-screen dialogue or readouts??
If no are these names canon??

(Just a question that needs to be answered since we're on the subjetc of canonity)

--------------------
"Tom is Canadian. He thereby uses advanced humour tecniques, such as 'irony', 'sarcasm', and werid shit'. If you are not qualified in any of these, it will be risky for you to attempt to decipher what he means. Just smile and carry on."
- PsyLiam; 16th June

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think we've ever heard Norway, Saber or Steamrunner, but it's possible that Akira was mentioned in VOY "Message in a Bottle". I haven't seen the ep, so I'm not 100% sure.

Of the other ship classes, very few are actually canonical in the sense that they would have been mentioned in dialogue or seen clearly on a computer display. At least Constitution, Excelsior, Constellation, Sydney, Ambassador, Nebula, Galaxy, New Orleans, Intrepid, Prometheus and Defiant classes have been mentioned, but for example Miranda hasn't, AFAIK. Has Oberth been?

Timo Saloniemi

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately, we're never going to be able to stop going around in circles on this question. We're stuck with a fictional universe riddled with self-contradictions, and we have been since the beginning. My favorite from TOS: how can we have a whole ship crewed by Vulcans when Spock is supposed to be the first Vulcan in Starfleet (and therefore, presumably, the highest ranking)? Trying to iron out all the problems is like trying to make a perfectly accurate flat map of the world; it's inherently impossible.

Personally, I lean to the 71807 side of the argument for two reasons:

1) It's more consistent with the prevailing numbering scheme (i.e. 5-digit registries for modern ships). AFAIK, the only other Galaxy-class ship (except for the E-D) that we saw clear enough to get a good glimpse of the registry was the Odyssey, and hers was 71832.

2) The only other Trek writing credit the writer had was for STII. It is therefore reasonable to assume he was unfamiliar with the staff's ideas as to how ships were to be numbered (if, indeed, anyone had informed him).

Other than that, it's canon versus canon, and since both the visuals and dialogue have contained goofs over the years, we have to use other sources to determine which one should be accepted on a case by case basis. I think in this case, the evidence leans more towards 71807.

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Galaxy's registry in "ToTP" was visible - barely. I should know, I was the first here to spot it. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
None of the classes of the new ships from First Contact were ever identified on screen, even the Akira. But they have been so well documented by the creators, it's hard not to say that they are cannon.
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YOU DAMN FUNDIES!!!!

just kiddin'

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK... if you are saying that onscreen (but illegible) overrides spoken dialogue, then Geordi's mother's name is Alvera K. LaForge, as it appeared in the data screen in 'Conundrum' We will just use a different excuse to explain why people were just having a little practical joke among themselves by calling her Silva LaForge after she died

Because what the art department does and thinks is more important than the writers? Star Trek is more about signange than characters? Bullshit...

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's get back to basic principles. It is NOT canon fact that either number presented is the Yamato's registry.

Canon: Riker made a statement that, taken at face value, the Yamato's registry is 1305-E.

Canon: The recording of the log of the Captain of the Yamato displayed on Picard's screen that either the Yamato's computer or the Enterprise's computer thought of the Yamato as having a different registry.

Both of these leave too much room for interpretation to claim this as an inherant, inevitable contradictions. One or both could be wrong. Riker could be joking. There could be multiple registries. The virus could have already started affecting the Enterprise computers. Any number of explainations are possible.

Personally, I lean towards the idea that a ship can have two registry numbers. It explains Yamato, Defiant, and Prometheus quite nicely. Why not?

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"OK... if you are saying that onscreen (but illegible) overrides spoken dialogue, then Geordi's mother's name is Alvera K. LaForge, as it appeared in the data screen in 'Conundrum' We will just use a different excuse to explain why people were just having a little practical joke among themselves by calling her Silva LaForge after she died."

That's different for two reasons. One, the computer screen info occured before we heard her name out loud.
Two, no-one who works for Star Trek is disputing that Geordie's mother's name is really Silva.

"Because what the art department does and thinks is more important than the writers? Star Trek is more about signange than characters? Bullshit..."

When the art department is in charge of continuity, and this is a continuity issue, then yes, they are more important.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Woodside Kid:
My favorite from TOS: how can we have a whole ship crewed by Vulcans when Spock is supposed to be the first Vulcan in Starfleet (and therefore, presumably, the highest ranking)?

There is no canon evidence to support the idea that Spock was the first Vulcan in Starfleet, so that's not a problem.

quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
None of the classes of the new ships from First Contact were ever identified on screen, even the Akira. But they have been so well documented by the creators, it's hard not to say that they are cannon. (sic.)

This belies the most common misconception: that canon means accurate. It is very easy to say that the names of Akira and friends aren't canon, because they aren't. Canon is defined as that which is contained in aired episodes and films. However, this in no way means that the class name Akira isn't correct... it simply isn't canon. To use another example, the idea that phaser stands for "phased energy rectification" isn't canon, but it can (and for all intents and purposes, is) still be true. The corrolary to this is that if, in Star Trek X, an Akira-class ship is called Invincible-class, it isn't at all a contradiction of canon, even if it is an accident. Canonically, the ship would be Invincible class.

Incidentally, this has allegedly happened before. Some of those involved with the visual effects for Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan named the Reliant's design the Avenger class. For that reason, nearly everyone called it the Avenger class for a solid decade, and then Okuda came up with Miranda for the TNG Tech Manual. The name Avenger, if fan lore is accurate, is just as reliable as Akira, but it isn't canon.

[ September 10, 2001: Message edited by: Ryan McReynolds ]

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Akira" was not mentioned in "Message in the Bottle," although one was seen. And the New Orleans class was not mentioned in any episode.
For the record, here are a few of the eps which class names were mentioned. Defiant, Excelsior, and Prometheus speak for themselves.
Constitution: "Court Martial," "Relics."
Constellation: "The Battle."
Galaxy: "Encounter at Farpoint."
Ambassador: "Yesterday's Enterprise"--?
Nebula: "Non Sequitur." ("The Wounded," maybe?)
Mirandas and Oberths haven't ever been mentioned by class, to my knowledge, but they are too far being called those things to be contradicted.

--------------------
Meh

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't actually think that "Ambassador-class" was ever said in Yesterday's Enterprise, but I could be wrong.

"Defiant, Excelsior, and Prometheus speak for themselves."

Oh, and tell that to the people who were still saying Valient-class even during DS9's seventh season.

When was Defiant-class first said anyway? I don't think it was said during Valient (I remember sitting there, begging for someone to say "Defiant-class", just to finally stop one of the most annoying arguments that's ever occured n Trek boards. I was also hoping they'd say how long the ship was, but I wasn't holding my breath for that).

Thinking about it, "Galaxy-class" was the first time the class of ship was ever said on screen. "Constitution-class" wasn't said out loud until "Relics", I think. And there were no class names given out in the first 6 movies.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Veers
You first
Member # 661

Oh, my mistakes have been noted.
I must tell some Valiant-class supporters in their face that they should not rely on old drawings and stick to the facts.
Those of you who say the Defiant is Valiant-class, you are so very wrong. This is not an opinion thing. The Defiant is Defiant-class. The class name is also the name of the first starship of the class. And the Defiant was the first Defiant.
And before anyone asks, Paris mentioned a Nebula-class ship was following their runabout, the Yellowstone, in the alternate reality of "Non Sequitur." We never got a name or registry.

[ September 10, 2001: Message edited by: Veers ]

--------------------
Meh

Veers
You first
Member # 661

Oh, my mistakes have been noted.
I must tell some Valiant-class supporters in their face that they should not rely on old drawings and stick to the facts.
Those of you who say the Defiant is Valiant-class, you are so very wrong. This is not an opinion thing. The Defiant is Defiant-class.

--------------------
Meh

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps