Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » NCC-1305-E (Page 7)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: NCC-1305-E
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just rewatched "Yesterday's Enterprise" a couple days ago. Unless something was cut out to make more room for commercials, then "Ambassador-class" wasn't actually said on-screen.

I think the first time "Nebula-class" was said on-screen was in "The Wounded" by Marc Alaimo's Cardassian character. I can't remember for certain, though. It's been a while.

**Are we still doing DS9 spoilers? If so, there's coming up**

I think that "Defiant-class" was first spoken in the final arc of Deep Space Nine. I can't recall the exact episode, but it was the one where the crew waits for the arrival of the Sao Paulo. Ezri says something to the effect of, "I knew were getting a new ship, but I didn't know we were getting another Defiant-class ship."

As far as I recall, only one Starfleet ship class has been mentioned in the Trek movies. That ones comes to us from Generations where the Enterprise-D is referred to as "Galaxy-class." However, we've seen two other class names pretty obviously: Scotty's schematic in The Undiscovered Country says "Constitution-class" and the master situation display in First Contact and Insurrection say "Sovereign-class."

As for "Constitution-class" being mentioned in The Original Series, I can't honestly remember. I want to say that it was said at least once, but I can't remember the circumstances or the episode(s). ::shrug::

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Liam,

Actually, it was "The Naked Now" where Kirk's Enterprise was said to be Constitution-Class.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or, I just could have waited a couple seconds and let Jeff tell me which episode it was in.
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Erm. The TNG version of "Naked Now", I can't really remember which one was which. It's a toss away line, "oh, the original Constitution-Class Enterprise had a similar problem..."

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're right. Ezri did say that line in "The Dogs of War."
Just in case anyone asked, Paris said a Nebula-class starship was chasing their runabout, the Yellowstone, in the alternate reality universe seen in "Non Sequitur." The ship was seen firing phasers, but no name or registry were given.

--------------------
Meh

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Except that the Runabout in question was a proto-type, and not neccessarily intended to the type seen on DS9.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The original constitution class Enterprise"

hmmmmm we didn't here the ORIGINAL enterprise class enterprise?? huh. Why didn't they just say the Constitution class Enterprise... hmm. Grr.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That would only create more programs. There is a great deal of canonical "proof" now for Kirk's ship to have been the first Starship Enterprise recognized by our TNG-era heroes.

If we're gonna squeeze Archer's Enterprise class Enterprise into this, we cannot go altering the statements made by the TNG characters. We have to creatively interpret the criteria by which the heroes refused to recognize any pre-Kirk ships.

What grounds do they have for dismissing NX-01? Is it technological primitiveness? Not likely, since NX-01 seems a rather capable ship, more so than we'd have expected from the 2150s.

Is it the operational reach? Again a bit unlikely. While there certainly were a number of spacegoing Enterprises between the last seagoing ones and the NX-01, they apparently did not loiter deep into space - that much is confirmed in "Broken Bow" dialogue already. In this sense, NX-01 was the first truly starfaring Enterprise.

Is it the operating organization? Possibly. NX-01 seems to be a Starfleet vessel, but not UFP Starfleet.

Is it the official designation? Perhaps Kirk's ship was the first ship to be called "starship", while Archer's was a mere "spaceship". "Broken Bow" script shows that the word "starship" is used liberally by all characters, though.

Heck, the TNG heroes have to stop including the past Enterprises at SOME point to refer to the "original" ship, since they cannot plausibly refer to the very first seagoing ship of that name (nobody knows for sure what vessel this was), nor probably to the first spacegoing Enterprise (the STS orbiter, even if it flew into space in the Trek universe, could not count as a starship, surely). So they have to pick some semi-arbitrary point from which onwards the ships are considered "real" starships Enterprise. The birth of the Federation could be such a point.

Perhaps our heroes feel like Federation citizens instead of mere Earthlings? Perhaps a ship from a pre-UFP organization (albeit a human one) would feel as foreign to them as a pre-1776 British ship would feel to an American?

Timo Saloniemi

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gul Macet called the Nebula-class that right away in "The Wounded"

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Erm. The TNG version of "Naked Now", I can't really remember which one
was which. It's a toss away line, "oh, the original Constitution-Class
Enterprise had a similar problem..."

Picard was reading a log entry off the screen. The line was "The Constitution-class starship Enterprise, Captain James T. Kirk, commanding."

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Besides, "The original constitution class Enterprise" would have made perfect sense, as there were two Constitution-class Enterprises, and Kirk was referring to the original one (despite the fact that they showed the refit).

Except he didn't, because they never said that. Oh well.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
but for example Miranda hasn't, AFAIK. Has Oberth been?

Both were on dedication plaques.

And New Orleans was on a computer display.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
New Orleans? Computer display?
What episode? A pic, perhaps?

--------------------
Meh

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The starship duty roster sometimes seen in the E-D Observation Lounge display had the New Orleans class USS Thomas Paine on a "diplomatic mission to Aldaraan"... No picture included there. But a pic of the display can be found in Spike's collection.

New Orleans was also a *verbal* reference in "Conspiracy", while Miranda apparently never was spoken out loud.

Timo Saloniemi

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The original on-screen display was a mix between this Display (Missions) and this display (Names, registries, classes).

So the Thomas Paine was on a diplomatic mission to Epsilon Aslanti II.

[ September 14, 2001: Message edited by: Spike ]

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps