Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Does it even have Inertial Dampeners? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Does it even have Inertial Dampeners?
Jack_Crusher
Member # 696

- posted      Profile for Jack_Crusher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You'd think with the way the Enterprise (NCC-1701) shakes while being fired at in battle, that it doesn't even have inertial dampeners. good examples of this are Journey to Babel, and Balance of Terror.

--------------------
Fry- How will we get out of this?
George Takei's head- Maybe we can use some kind of auto-destruct code like one-A, two-B, three-C...
(Bender's head blows up)
Bender- Now everybody knows!
-Futurama's obligatory Star Trek episode

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem is that simple impulse acceleration would cream the crew if the ship didn't have inertial dampers. I submit that Kirk's Enterprise simply had a much greater lag time relative to later ships. Sudden, unplanned accelerations are felt; planned accelerations are not.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I even think good old Phoenix had inertial dampeners.

Possibly inertial dampeners were developed in the Third World War to allow fighter pilots to fly their machines a bit faster. Or they are part of the Chronowerx cop-out.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seems to me it makes more sense to have them come out of whatever research developed artificial gravity generation. That would put its earliest origins in the 1990s, since the Botany Bay had artificial gravity.

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the Botany Bay still comes from the 90s.

But let's not go there.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pardon my ignorance, but who says it doesn't?

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I may not be referring to the same hangup as other people, but there are two things I'm thinking of:

1) The Admiral in "Dr. Bashir, I Presume" gave a time of "200 years ago" for the Eugenics wars, which would have put it in the 22nd century, not the 20th.

2) "Future's End" which took place in the 90's showed no evidence that the Eugenics Wars were going on, or had recently gone on. However, there is a model of a sleeper ship on Rain Robinson's window sill, so those ships obviously exist in the 90's of the Star Trek universe, or are at least being developed.

The theory is that Starling's meddling pushed the Eugenics Wars back a little while, I think.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Fedaykin Supastar
Member # 704

- posted      Profile for Fedaykin Supastar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i know where they;re keeping her (sleeper ships), its some place called Area 51, i know coz they had all these aliean stuff there. I saw it on tv. Can u imagine the government/pentagon ppl let them show it on TV!!!

haha LMAO

conspiracies are all over the place

[ September 10, 2001: Message edited by: Fedaykin Supastar ]

--------------------
"Tom is Canadian. He thereby uses advanced humour tecniques, such as 'irony', 'sarcasm', and werid shit'. If you are not qualified in any of these, it will be risky for you to attempt to decipher what he means. Just smile and carry on."
- PsyLiam; 16th June

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was....surreal...

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not a big deal, but the Eugenics war occuring in the 90s has never sat very well with me. Probably it's a real slap in the face when you hear "Geneticly engineered supermen took over three quarters of the glove in 1996". The instant mental response is "Did they? I must have slept in".

I also think that TPTB are likely to avoid ever directly saying again that the Eugenic wars occured in the 90s. They'll either fudge the date, or stick it in the early 21st century.

But we don't know.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I have a lot more trouble with people who can't
seperate reality and fantasy

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did they say whose glove it was?
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My leather gloves are being dry-cleaned. I get 'em back Saturday, and if I'm missing one, I'll know whose glove it was.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

What if you're only missing three quarters of the glove?

Sorry...this is just too easy...

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow.. this is an area where Trekkers get sad.

Obviously we live in an alternate universe.

Has anyone ever read 'Visit to a Strange Planet' or 'Visit to a Strange Planet Revisited' At least I think thats what they were called. The were in compilations in the 70s and dealt with Kirk, Spock and McCoy materializing in 1960s Hollywood on the Star Trek sets and trying to cope with the fact that their lives were a TV show, and the sequel involved Bill Shatner, Leo Nimoy and De Kelley arriving on the real Enterprise while shooting a scene in the transporter room, and saving the ship from a Klingon plot by pretending to be the big three.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps