Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Galaxy captain's yacht. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Galaxy captain's yacht.
Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, it looks like the attackship from Independence day, actually.

So, what shiptypes do we know have auxiliary ships, or separation-capabilities, attachted to them? The ones I know: Constitution, Galaxy, Sovereign, Nova, Intrepid (aerowing and bridgemodule), Breen (two separate crafts), Ferengi, Neghvar, Galor, (last two confirmed by Rich Sternbach).

--------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
which ones do which?

hey did they ever have the nebula separate? it was originally designed to look like it could trade saucers with a galaxy if the needed to

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
heh:

Galaxy Class: "I'll swap you two impulse engines, a torpedo launcer and an extra arboretum for a saucer"
Nebula Class: "How about a Rec Deck?"
Galaxy Class: "Hmmmm might be tricky... lessee... hmmm. OK fine, Rec Deck it is."
Nebula Class: "Deal!"
Galaxy Class: "DEAL!"

Little did poor old Nebbie know that two hours from know she would be hurtling through space at warp 8, no saucer and no where to put two extra impulse engines, an arboretum and a torpedo launcher! The Captain wasn't impressed... ;o)

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
:-)

but seriously, the Nebula has a separation plane also identical to the Galaxy's.. granted i would hope the power hookups were identical before you put a Gal saucer on a Neb stardrive.. but they seem to require all the same systems (like the Galaxy, the Nebula's warp core, torpedos, deflector and presumably its shuttles are all in the secondary)
The differences being the Nebula has half as many windows (less quarters?)

It would have been real swell if the E-D saucer hadnt crashed and they sent a Nebula secondary hull to fly it home...

actually i wouldt want to see a Neb stardrive hull without the saucer.. look like a toboggan

--------------------

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I gather the logic of construction could actually be the reverse. Starfleet would build a large number of (relatively) cheap Nebulas and a handful of expensive Galaxies, using a common saucer design. Most of the Nebulas would save even more by omitting expensive stuff from the saucers, like windows, lifeboats, impulse engines...

In an emergency, all the ships would be capable of saucer separation. But the Galaxies would also be capable of saucer reattaching, and the small number of these ships would serve the larger total of ships sporting the compatible saucer. A nebula without a saucer would be a wreck; a Galaxy without one would be a towtruck.

Reattaching seems like a difficult and expensive thing to do. And the special ability to recover lost saucers would seem like something to be put on a limited number of ships only. And Galaxies do seem to come in lower numbers than Nebulas.

Timo Saloniemi

capped
Member # 709

I still think that a sucerless Nebula would be 100% functional

edit: I mean that it would function as well as the stardrive hull of the Galaxy.. it has everything it needs (warp drive, deflector, torpedoes and im assuming shuttles. the only thing it misses, like the galaxy, are crew accomodations, medical services and extra phaser arrays, fusion reactors.. etc.. :

[ September 17, 2001: Message edited by: CaptainMike ]

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK...here's another one: Riddle me this, was the Nebula Class model designed and detailed with the same captain's yacht that the Galaxy Class has? I'm assuming that the original one (the Phoenix) was since they pretty much used Galaxy class parts for it. But what about the later model?

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

capped
Member # 709

Or maybe it has an 'Aerowing'

*vomits*

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should see a doctor about that.
capped
Member # 709

Doc, every time i think about the Aerowing, which is supposedly a detachable craft aboard the USS Voyage, i get violently ill because they never showed it, and what the hell is it for, anyway?

"I'll remember this next time.. i may think twice about requesting that someone state the nature of the medical emergency"

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok...I looked at the TNG Tech Manual last night...I don't know where you came up with the definitive statement that the yacht was designed using sets from the show. You can't hardly see anything. What you're saying is the ready room isn't labeled as such and looks to actually be part of the bridge. It doesn't even have a fish tank and is way out of scale. The quarters off to the side are just quarters...yah they could use one of the room sets with the sloping windows for it, I'll give you that.

The bridge does have a console and a viewscreen that look similar to the Ent's bridge, but I doubt you could fit the whole bridge into the upper portion of the yacht. My guess is it's just two consoles, a viewscreen and a command chair.

The Blueprints of the Ent-D go down to the top of the Captain's Yacht and show the connecting airlock, but do not show the inside (why show us the cool stuff). To their credit, the stuck to the dorsal diagram from the Tech Manual.

In short (far too late for that), I'm going to say that the interior of the Captain's Yacht is still quite open for design possibilities.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why DIDN'T Rick and co. put the inside of the Cap'n's yacht on the Blue Prints!?!

And back to my question... was the 6 ft model of the E-D built with a detachable... captain's yacht!?! (It was the model that could separate - the later 4ft model couldn't... separate).

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

I'd be guessing, but I don't think that it could. IIRC, the lower part of the saucer is one of the parts that could detach for the mounting rods and electrical wiring to go in. But again...I'm not sure about that.

If the model wasn't able to separate, and they had ever decided to go with the yacht, they probably would have built a small section of the saucer underside and filmed a close up of the yacht departing ala Insurrection.

As for why they didn't show us the inside of the yacht on the blueprints...who knows...but it made me mad. I mean they showed us every square inch of the ship down to the toilets and then...no yacht...sigh

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Fedaykin Supastar
Member # 704

- posted      Profile for Fedaykin Supastar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
maybe the Yacht doesn't exists, its a just an attractive marketing ploy to make more money for the federation....

but then again they dont use money, but of course this could have been the new economic policy, 20th century advertising gimmicks!!!!!!!

LOL
Buzz

--------------------
"Tom is Canadian. He thereby uses advanced humour tecniques, such as 'irony', 'sarcasm', and werid shit'. If you are not qualified in any of these, it will be risky for you to attempt to decipher what he means. Just smile and carry on."
- PsyLiam; 16th June

capped
Member # 709

Appropriately (?) enough, it was probably the first thing sheared off the hull when the saucer slid out in Generations. I wonder if they went back to get it? The Veridians will find it and travel to new star systems in unbelievably comfort.. at impulse power

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps