Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » What came First (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What came First
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well it still falls in the same order that way..

What is the evidence that the SD system has shifted anyway? Id be interested to know

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Surely the point of this thread is to do with the Intrepid Class' first commissioning versus the Sovereign Class' first commissioning. 'When' Voyager and the Enterprise-E were launched is largely irrelevant in regards to Face's initial query, as it stands to reason they were not the first ships of their classes. USS Intrepid and USS Sovereign were, and when they were commissioned in relation to each other we have no canon evidence. But I stand by the convictions that it probably was the Intrepid.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My only reason for bringing it up is that both the Voyager and E-E got 'oohs' and 'aahs' from most people who saw them because they were so state of the art, indicating they were some of the first vessels of their respective classes.

If we could assume that they were both from the original production run of their classes, and were commissioned at or near the same time as the class ship was completed or at least when the class ship completed spaceworthiness trials.

But thats really 'if we could assume'

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know they're in the same order. I was just pointing out a better way to label them.

The evidence for a different stardate system is in one of the last few episodes of VOY. They celebrate "First Contact Day", or some such thing, which is supposed to be the anniversary of Terro-Vulcan first contact (which we know, from the movie of the same name, was in April). But this episode is late in the season. So, apparently, the VOY writers have now decided that the episodes of a season more closely fit around the time of year that they air, rather than a season showing events from January to December.

capped
Member # 709

Eh.. thats an old story.. and not really proof of much anyway.. there was the same problem with Molly's birthday when she moved from TNG to DS9.. and the producers didnt make a concious decision to shift the stardate system, they just produced a script in the order they got it.
I think they fired the guy they had keep track of the stardates on Next Generation, because after DS9 started nobody thought they were important anymore (especially since okuda's chronology suggests that not only do they sometimes go out of order, but they actually dont occur in order ever.. see the TOS section)

ill try not to think of it..

--------------------

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Umm, isn't the majority of evidence on Stardates actually supporting the idea that the SD year begins when the fall season begins, and ends when the spring season cliffhanger ends? That is, people of Earth descent shout "Happy New Year" at SD XX500 or so, not at SD XX000?

The Borg attack of TNG season 3/4 turnover came when the Picard vineyard was experiencing what looked like late summer (the exact positioning of constellation Orion notwithstanding). The Thanksgiving came in midseason, TOS 1st season (let's forget about the TOS stardates for now, though). I'm sure there's a DS9 reference as well, if I dig deeply enough.

It's just that Trek has always been produced so that the season began when the summer ended. It's not something specific to VOY, and it's highly unlikely that the writers would have fought against this reality in the previous shows and then suddenly dropped the pretense just for VOY.

Timo Saloniemi

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps