Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » More Enterprise Exteriors - All hail CityTV (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: More Enterprise Exteriors - All hail CityTV
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To be completely accurate, the station in Sisko's office was the old Freedom, the one that got away. And the odds are that the ISS will not end up looking much like the station depicted in the opening credits, either, not if the cuts continue at the current pace (the auxiliary solar panel arm atop the Russian section is already wrong - only half of it will ever be built).

I think that the easiest way to "completely preserve continuity" would be to say that both the Freedom and the as-planned-ISS got built in the Trek universe, even if not in ours. A few dozen other such stations may also have been built, before the DY-100-level tech appeared. In the Trek world, the stations got built early on, perhaps in the eighties, using a larger shuttle fleet that perhaps included a spacegoing Enterprise.

The second way would be to say that the Freedom in the office really is the ISS and only one station got built and our eyes are not working properly and we have to contact a licensed repairman.

The third way would be to regard the CGI of the ISS as just that, a piece of art, much like the piece of parchment with HMS Enterprize on it, or the page from Leonardo's doodlebook. It need not describe a "real" object at all.

Timo Saloniemi

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Timo's last option is the way I'm going.

Everybody seems to automatically assume I'm being some continuity obsessed, completely irrational person about this. But I'd like to remind everybody that it is possible to disagree on a point and not belong to the fundamentalist section of the other camp. If I am a Muslim, you don't neccessarily have to argue theology w/ me on the basis that I am a jihad.

I will still watch the series, I will not make voodoo dolls of Berman and Braga. However, I disagree with the producers' intentions of putting the ISS anywhere in Trek, for reasons that I've already stated.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since we are talking about the title sequence, I believe I know what the ship is between the Phoenix and Enterprise. It looks to me like the back of the small model that Archer is building as a young boy. Pretty much a NG Shuttle with warp nacelles. No clue about it's importance though...
OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the screen cap, I thought they could be showing us the S.S. Valiant. But I missed that part of the sequence during the show to view it in context.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps