Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » "Enterprise" Tech - First Impressions [spoilers] (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: "Enterprise" Tech - First Impressions [spoilers]
Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I still haven't heard from any of you was the 'telescope' T'Pol was looking in to get certain readings. The same thing Spock always look into.

--------------------
"And they had other stuff (...) like pictures of the Vulcan woman on Enterprise."
"OOOOhhh! Uhm, I mean: Nerds!"

- Willow and Xander, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about it? It's there. It's even got a magic extendo-feature!

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And it has, in fact, been mentioned a few times before in other threads.
J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The sensor scope that T'Pol looked into was nothing extremely especial. It was similar to the one Spock used and had a hide-away future like Sulu's did. It is one of the few tips of the hat to TOS.

If they think that small tips of the hat will make me happy when they've already landed punches they are mistaken.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by J:
If they think that small tips of the hat will make me happy when they've already landed punches they are mistaken.

Ah, the usual unsupported anti-Enterprise rhetoric. I have an open challenge to anyone who can name a single -- objective -- facet of Enterprise that violates continuity. If you claim you don't like the premise, fine, I've got no beef. If you claim you don't like the story, the acting, the creators, the effects, the designs, great, more power to you. We're all entitled to opinons. But when the claim is made that Enterprise destroys continuity, or even nicks it, eventually you have to provide a shred of evidence, since continuity is quite objective. Granted, the tech forum is not the right place to do it, which is why I'm gonna start a thread in the Enterprise forum. I look forward to reading a response, from J or anyone else. But, out of courtesy for the tech posters, please don't do it here.

[ October 01, 2001: Message edited by: Ryan McReynolds ]

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do I have to say spoiler? Well, I�ll do it anyway

I�ve only seen clips and caps of the new series, so I wonder, what ships do we actually see in the episode? (barring the intro)

1.NX-01
with pod(?) in spacedock and the shuttle later in the episode

2. The Suliban
Is that weird thingy in the clouds that look like a starbase their ship? and the ugly pods, what are they?

3. Box-like ships flying around, suliban?

--------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, when I watched the episode Sunday night I just got a bit annoyed that the pistols weren't introduced at the beginning. That and the fight scene with Archer and that Suliban in the temporal chamber. Archer should really figure out how to set those suckers to fire the wrong way.

Oh, someone in another thread mentioned the ladder in Sickbay. Considering there is a Jeffries Tube access hatch on Voyager's and Enterprise-E's Sickbay, what's wrong with that?

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pIn'a' Sov:
I�ve only seen clips and caps of the new series, so I wonder, what ships do we actually see in the episode? (barring the intro)

(1) Enterprise NX-01
(2) orbital inspection pod
(3) Suliban cell ships (possibly different sizes and shapes)
(4) Starfleet shuttlepod
(5) alien ship at Rigel X
(6) unidentifiable remains of a Klingon shuttlecraft

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Specifically, the Suliban seem to have two basic types of ships. A boxy rectangular version and a dodecahedronal version. (Not that I actually counted how many sides they had.) And, as noted, there may be size differences in there as well.
bear
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Multifunction Displays vs. Low tech controls

In deep space rescue or resupply would probably not be a realistic notion, so could the lack of multifunction displays be attributed to the desire for simplisity? For example,Voyagers diminishing number bio neural gel pacs, a situation that was rectified by the conversion to standard isolinear chips, but not without a detriment in performance. Standard modular switches,buttons, and displays are not necessarily better, but they are a realitively simple and easy resource to replace or repair given this point in the trek timeline.

Any thoughts?

[ October 02, 2001: Message edited by: bear ]

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For example, if you run a single computer core (like on TNG ships) and you can access any function of said computer by configuring any panel on the ship accordingly, you might lose ALL functionality if there is a central breakdown. Of course, this is exceedingly rare because Federation computer science is incredibly advanced.
Enterprise computer science is really new (probably the first time a computer need to compute all the new sh*t that must go along with running a ship like no computer has ever run before ;-) ) The designers might have decided that it would be more advantageous to decentralize controls so that a) they could be accessed manually should controls fail and b) should a single system be damaged, or simply not perform as designed, functionality would remain in all other systems. This makes controlling the ship more difficult (you cant slave everthing into automation since its not all fully integrated.. more likely they mightn't even have had the computing power to do so). Therefore, the levers that control things and the dials are the machinery operating in individual stations are localized. rather than a display that you touch, routes it around, then finds its way to the function desired.

Duotronics: computer advance made by Daystrom in 2240s with the advent of the Constitution-class ships.. might have been teaching computer systems to work together better in a shipboard setting (duo..), thereby eliminating the decentralization seen in Enterprise tech.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

bear
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with mike, the idea of non-centralized systems feels like and excellent way to ensure redundancy.

--------------------
Access Password
47at
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Stargate/9268/index.html

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well that and to make sure no one presses a button that will make the ship go boom.
Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the way they are confident in their tech ("We have state of the art sensors, why didn't we detect them?").

Also a lack of escape pods is someting I hope they'll use in a later episode.

Sato appears to be a very useful character in showing just how crude the Enterprise actually is (althought they still don't have seatbelts in the future).

--------------------
"And they had other stuff (...) like pictures of the Vulcan woman on Enterprise."
"OOOOhhh! Uhm, I mean: Nerds!"

- Willow and Xander, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps