Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Warp 5 Is HOW Fast ? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Warp 5 Is HOW Fast ?
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which, amazingly enough, works out to around 100 times the speed of light, or ~4.6 cubed. So they ARE using the old scale of xc = w^3.

But you still need spacetime dilation to explain the distance changes.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, that will be ruined the first time there's a line that shows that an internal time period and an external time period are the same...
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Correct me if I'm wrong here ...

Did Mayweather grow up on cargo ships? Did they have some sort of early warp device? Even if they could only reach warps one or two, if Omega's theory is right, then Mayweather could easily be 'older' then Archer. Not to mention that the time period Enterprise takes place in will get a lot faster to Kirk's time -- instead of seven seasons coming out to seven years, they could be come out to ten or even twenty years.

This of course, might not be a bad thing:

"Wow! When we were traveling at warp four for a subjective month, real-time passed four years and Earth fought a war with a bunch of aliens called the Romulans! We won! Yay!"

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe that's it. Perhaps the "Romulan War" was actually a series of ships' time "months-long" random skirmishes that "really" took 4 years or so for the rest of the galaxy.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its going to be fun to figure out too.. did anyone notice the 'Captain's Log, Date April 16, 2151' They are going to have to exactly watch how far apart the episodes are.. Theres a chance the show could run 7 years and they just wont stick to one season = one year.. so that they can make it to Federation Day.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I e-mailed Okuda, and he likes the idea. He also confirms that the next Trek is called "Nemesis", if we weren't 100% sure of that already.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by J:

TPTB think that simple math is too complicated for their audience to handle---

I'm willing to go a step further. TPTB thinks the process of flushing a toilet is far too complicated for the audience to handle......

[ October 01, 2001: Message edited by: MIB ]

IP: Logged
Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think we're on pretty shaky ground if we try to apply sublight relativistic effects to FTL speed. Strictly speaking, at speeds above c, your ship has less than no length, its mass is greater than infinity, and all events take place in less than zero time, which would cause a few problems for the writers (to say nothing about the poor suckers on the ship!).

All of the series pretty much ignored relativity anyway. I don't remember anything ever said about mass increase or time dilation at high impulse speeds, and they sure as hell didn't deal with the reduction of length along the ship's axis of motion (would have looked pretty interesting if they had done it, though).

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They said that Federation starships avoid high impulse because of time dilation in the TNG Tech Manual.. or something like that.. no reference anywhere to warp time dilation.. doesnt seem likely to me
Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nor to me. The only particles that can go faster than light (theoretically, at any rate) are tachyons. They display behavior that is analagous to normal matter moving backwards through time. If that were the case, shouldn't Picard have his hair back by now?

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got no problem with there being some relativistic effects at warp, at least pre-time barrier warp. Cochrane's Phoenix accelerated at sublight to the warp threshold, presumably experiencing some time dilation. We don't know exactly where that threshold is, but saying that there was a 2X dilation in effect wouldn't be unbelievable... and this could be carried into warp.

But while I don't have a problem with these effects in principle, I'd prefer to avoid it for one reason: Archer's starlog is using traditional Earth dates. I'm willing to bet that there isn't a gap of several months between entries, even if subjective time is only a few days. Odds are, Enterprise will continue the rough two weeks Earth-time per episode pattern other Star Trek has maintained.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps