Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Enterprise Tech Continued ["Fight or Flight" $$$] (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Enterprise Tech Continued ["Fight or Flight" $$$]
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There appear to be 4 tubes, so I'm guessing here is 1 room per 2 tubes. Makes sense. Not smart to put the entire armory in one single room.

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Towards the end of the episode, Archer made a reference to "both tubes." So it sounds like only two of those holes are for the torpedoes. I guess the other two holes are for the plasma battery we saw in "Broken Bow." Plus, there's also, apparently, a rear tube in that pod. Damn it, and I was so hoping that was the engine room.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe the plasma shots we saw in "Broken Bow" came from the top of the saucer.

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup, the plasma artillery came exclusively from the top of the saucer.

Perhaps the other two tubes are fired from a second armoury room that has yet to be fully outfitted?

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

cptmkb
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for cptmkb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm just waiting for them to try to convince us its old style by showing the gun crews rolling out the plasma cannons, swabbing them out, dropping in the plasma, opening the port and touching the fuse to fire

a guy can hope....

--------------------
"C'mon, tightly hold your hand / Take a deep breath, give them the finger / Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?" - Our Lady Peace, One Man Army

TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
haha
you got to hand it to enterprise, their weapons suck ass!

and mesa likes!
its quite a change to see how earth ships don't simply rule the galaxy becuase they're the good guys...

i got a whole babylon 5 feel toward enterpirse's weapon capabilities, by that i mean earth force ships in B5 were pretty bad and were almost always outgunned by aliens.

I hope they will improve her weapons slightly,
its brings great luaghter to see the enterprise fire off a barrage of pulse fire and miss every shot!

Then she fire her precious missiles and you can hear the tension, then the aliens just brush them aside with their shields and weapons!!! LOL
"oh my god, ha!" they're screwed and its fun to see.

Now back to more serious note, what more can we conclude about the enterprise's "shields" or primitive version/armor hybrid.

The first alien fire that impacted on the front of the bridge seemed to have resulted in a more shield like effect than some field enforced armor[ as previously hinted from dialogue]
The second fire went clean through, i'm surprised the enterprise is not in a much worse state since the alien ship pounded her several rounds while the shuttle ever so slowly got back into the hanger.

One last comment, i have to say that the explosions were a little "fake" and the alien harvestor ship too, something about her outer hull lighting was very fake,
the design is good though, very menacing looking even when sitting still.

[ October 03, 2001: Message edited by: TheF0rce ]

cptmkb
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for cptmkb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'mesa likes'?

ugh

--------------------
"C'mon, tightly hold your hand / Take a deep breath, give them the finger / Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?" - Our Lady Peace, One Man Army

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't like that rear-firing torp tube. It seemed wrong. Wasn't there something in the TNG tech manual that said they didn't cover the rear "blind spot" until the 23rd century?

On the whole though, I like this new show. They haven't yet fucked over continuity of events, even though tech-wise it doesn't look older than TOS. Liked the reference to the Axanar.

-MMoM

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't remember that.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just checked, and the TNG Technical Manual doesn't say much about rear-firing torpedo launchers. Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise does talk about adding a rear-facing torpedo launcher to the Enterprise-A, but it was only said to be elimenating a tactical blindspot. Of course, I don't think the Enterprise-A had a rear-firing torpedo tube in the first place.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

cptmkb
Member # 709

Um, not to say that the TNG tech manual was leaving a blank, but the E-D's rear firing tube as featured quite prominently in 'Encounter at Farpoint' .. (remember. it was the first one?) and is visible in many graphics in thst book

--------------------

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

But we're not talking about "Encounter at Farpoint." We're talking about whether the TNG Technical Manual says that rear-firing torpedo launchers were an advancement installed on starships in the 23rd century. I checked, and the TNG Technical Manual does not say such a thing.

--------------------

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I stand corrected. I probably got it from Mr. Scott's Guide. Still seems a bit wrong though, doesn't it? I mean, the E-nil was supposed to be Starfleet's "best" ship, and it didn't have a rear tube...
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...that we saw.

We also didn't see any lifeboats, are we to assume that if the ship was critically hit everyone was screwed?

We didn't see thrusters, either, so are we to assume it could only perform tight maneuvers using its main impulse engine?

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

Well, unlike those other things, from looking at the model there's no possible way for there to be a rear torp-tube. As to thrusters and lifeboats, those could be interpreted as things on the model. Perhaps the lifeboats are deployed from that big round yellow hatch on the underside of the engineering hull. Perhaps the thruster are hidden in the nacelle ends or are those little dots we see near the impulse engines. But there is definitely NO rear torpedo tube.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.