Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Enterprise Tech Continued ["Fight or Flight" $$$] (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Enterprise Tech Continued ["Fight or Flight" $$$]
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's hard to discern anything on the original Enterprise model by watching The Original Series. If I recall correctly, the underside of the saucer section didn't have anything looking like weapons ports. Yet, we saw the phaser beams and photon torpedoes come from there. I guess the designers of the Constitution class really wanted that smooth look by hiding everything with seamless covers (like the lifeboats, weapons ports, thrusters, airlocks, etc.).

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed. I think Siegfried makes the most valid point of all: The 1701 had about as much evidence of a rear-firing launcher on the model as a forward-firing launcher.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sigfrieds explanation is the reality of why the 1701 was designed the way it was.. Matt Jefferies decided that, since it would be dangerous for anything that needed to be serviced to be on the exterior of the hull, the rationale was that any equipment or ports would be safely inside the protection of the hull, and this was decided to keep with Gene Roddenberry's call for the ship to lack technical detail, basically he didnt want there to be any greeblies on it.

By the way, it seems likely 1701 couldnt rear fire, what does that have to do with NX-01? Just because the Constitution's design didnt lend itself to the addition of a rear firing tube, whos to say that its predecessor wouldnt be able to? Theyve been making cars with power windows for decades, but they still make cars without power windows too? Why? Cost, feasibility, design preference.. etc.. the point being that even though one ship had them, doesnt mean theyd be added to every ship after them.

Ships of the Star Fleet depicted an upgrade of the Constitution-class refits, the USS America that was identical to the E-A except with the back of the torpedo tube module containing a rear tube. It'd be interesting to see the studio model in that area, most blueprints of the E-no suffix refit label it as the torpedo waste vent, but if the E-A model had an area that lookedl ike it could launch a torp, then maybe it could have.

And if somebody said starships didnt have rear firing tubes before the 24th century, then f*ck that because its obviously wrong. The NX-01 had them.

[ October 05, 2001: Message edited by: CaptainMike ]

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only thing I don't like about the rear-firing torpedo launcher on the new Enterprise is that the torpedo was launched from that pod. Damn it, I so wanted that pod to be the engineering section!

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is that pod for, then? Seems kinda silly to devote an entire pod to torpedoes, unless of course, the NX-01 really is an Akira in disguise.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I�m wondering about the second Axanar ship. Is that a different design than the first?

--------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It could be that the pod exists mainly to house that blue glowing dome thingamabob, and any additional equipment is just, well, additional.

The blue thing could be very, very important to the ship - after all, the Constitution-refits, Sydneys and some Excelsiors had one, and Constellations, Mirandas and some Excelsiors actually had two. It could also be completely superfluous, since the TOS ship and the TNG vessels had none. But whatever it is, it's reasonably large and reasonably radiant. Perhaps it's a good idea to keep it away from the inhabited parts of the hull...

Putting the aft torp launcher there seems like a jolly bad idea to me, though. Especially if the pod already houses big and dangerous equipment, and torp preparation and launching requires manual labor. A properly designed ship (from the TV show standpoint, even if not necessarily from the engineering one) ought to have weapon emplacements that look like weapon emplacements and are all installed using a common logic, like a seagoing warship's gun turrets or torpedo tube clusters or VLS cassettes. You don't mount one gun in a turret on the forecastle and then have another one swing from cables between the masts. If the main hull is good enough for forward torps, it ought to be good enough for the aft ones as well.

Timo Saloniemi

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The only thing I don't like about the rear-firing torpedo launcher on the new Enterprise is that the torpedo was launched from that pod. Damn it, I so wanted that pod to be the engineering section!

Well, actually, someone in the episode said that a 3 meter difference on a target could mean you'd hit the warp core instead of the weapons. He could be refering to the Enterprise here, meaning the pods holds both the rear torpedo launcher and the warp core.

--------------------
"And they had other stuff (...) like pictures of the Vulcan woman on Enterprise."
"OOOOhhh! Uhm, I mean: Nerds!"

- Willow and Xander, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, he was talking about the target ship. If you aim for their weapons, trying to disarm them, and you aim wrong, you could hit the warp core and kill them all.

As for the rear torp launcher... If it were in the main hull, wouldn't you have to shoot around the pod? That doesn't seem very efficient.

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What target ship? They were talking about it before the target practice. There was no ship around at that time.

--------------------
"And they had other stuff (...) like pictures of the Vulcan woman on Enterprise."
"OOOOhhh! Uhm, I mean: Nerds!"

- Willow and Xander, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A hypothetical target ship. The point was that they needed to get everything working properly before getting into a real battle. Otherwise, when they shoot at a real ship, they run the risk of hitting the wrong thing and blowing it up.
David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And being without energy shielding and slow, the subspace shockwave from the core breach would turn the Enterprise into little bits of matter. The relatively short range of the weapon doesn't help.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps