Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Possible explanation for the Breen's seemingly metallic organic ships. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Possible explanation for the Breen's seemingly metallic organic ships.
MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm just thinking. What if the Breen warships truly ARE organic. Sense we know little about their ships, it's pretty much open season for anyone who wants to explain the contradiction between Tuvok's comment and the first sightings of the Breen ships. I'm just thinking. What if, after a Breen warship is fully grown, the Breen simply give it a suit of armor so to speak and a few cybernetic implants? That could easily explain why Tuvok said that the Breen use organic ships and yet, at the same time, they look mettalic.

This leads me to think about the Breen's "tropical homeworld" even though the Breen can only survive in extreme cold. You could easily say that the Breen evolved on the world's polar ice caps and that that is the only place on their planet where they can survive without their enviromental suits. Or by mentioning their "tropical homeworld," maybe that Vorta guy meant a tropical like landscape that thrives in the extreme cold of the Breen homeworld. You know. A totally different kind of tropical conditions.

I find the Breen quite interesting. Too bad they are humanoids. They would be far more interesting if they weren't. I guess that's true with any alien race though.

[ October 10, 2001: Message edited by: MIB ]

IP: Logged
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that whoever designed the Breen ships was unaware of the comment Tuvok made. I don't even recall anything in the Magazine article about Breen ships that stated that the ships were supposed to be organic. It was just one more insignificant comment that was forgotten later.

As for their planet being described as a "tropical paradise," was that really what Weyoun said? I thought he just said it was a "paradise." Maybe Vorta consider North Pole-like conditions paradise.

MIB: How do you know the Breen are humanoid? Because of their suits? Maybe they are in fact slugs like the Trills, and use those suits as transport mechanisms.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's no reason to think "organic" means "looks squishy." The word organic, after all, has a couple different meanings.
TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i interpreted the line as the ships circuitry being biological componets, kinda like gel packs, but not the entire ship or its outer hull.
Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Technically, "organic" just means "carbon-based." It doesn't imply life in a chemistry context... and Tuvok is a Vulcan, right?

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, not much about Breen ships exists. Though I still maintain that they used torpedoes as their primary weaponary thoughout the Dominion War.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The breen ships couldn't have been organic with metal armor. We've seen them destroyed and they are definatly metal inside...plus they didn't bleed.

But that doesn't contradict Tuvoks statement, they could still use an organic type of ship, we just never saw it.
They were also supposed to have cloaking devises.
Obviously they have alot of different technology, the fact that they don't seam to use it all at once seams to add the the confusion and mystery that surrounds them...which is probably what they'd want.

oh, and I think Weyoun said their climate was "Agreeable" or "Pleasent", definatly not tropical.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, we did see a metallic-type framework from the inside of a Breen ship during the battle of Chin'toka.

Personally, I think that the HULL of the Breen ship looks sort of organic. The greenish-grey hue gives me the impression of a kind of biological skin grown onto the ship.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I distinctively remember tropical.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Organic primarily means - as mentioned above - CARBON BASED... who Carbon can form a LOT of different structures. Maybe their hull is a crystal of buckminster fullerines!?! C60 'bucky' balls' or Bucky tubes. Their all carbon based. Or maybe the entire ship is normal tritanium, except the inner workings (like the Voyager's bio-neural gel packs) are organic. Maybe they extended the physiology into their ships - maybe they 'strip off' and intergrate with their ships personally!?! Who knows. I don't want to see what a Breen looks like. That would spoil the effect. Like how we saw a Gaim on B5 - that REALLY spoiled the effect. Everyone thought they would be this insectoid race.
MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dukhat:
MIB: How do you know the Breen are humanoid? Because of their suits? Maybe they are in fact slugs like the Trills, and use those suits as transport mechanisms.

You got a point. I've never even considered that.

About the Breen ships being seemingly metallic on the inside; I guess that blows my theroy about the metallic armor and so forth. Hmmmmm. I suppose that the Breen could be using both metallic AND organic ships, but that would be kind of wierd to have both kinds of ships in your fleet. Most races would simply go for one or the other.

IP: Logged
OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Most races would simply go for one or the other.

What are you basing that on, exactly?

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Technically, "organic" just means "carbon-based." It doesn't imply life in a chemistry context... and Tuvok is a Vulcan, right?

True, but Tuvok was comparing the Breen's ships to Species 8472's ships, which were definitely of the "organic" type that are alive. He seemed to imply that the Breen ships were exactly the same way.

Again, I think the CGI people simply just forgot.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it was in two different series...so they probably were unaware of the comment made by Tuvok.

However, they should have been aware of the statements made about the Breen in TNG and Generations. I think the fact that the Breen have cloaking technology was mentioned in "Hero Worship".

Weyoun said, "...it's quite pleasant on Breen." Nothing about Tropical.

Have they said that Starfleet officers don't knwo what the Breen looked like? Kira and Dukhat saw one when they stripped them of their suits in "Indiscretion". And Worf seemed to know a little bit about what they looked like when Ezri described her dream to him.

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty sure the Breen are a mystery to Starfleet as to what they look like. I took it that they are humanoid, after all their refrigeration suits are that shape. Just like, I believe, the Tholians, in that they have to use environmental suits to survive in most alien climates. But it doesn't explain why they looked that way in 'Thoilan's Web', I mean, why wear an environmental suit on your own ship?

But I had thought Weyoun's comment about Breen was meant as sarcasm, I'm sure we've heard references that say Breen is an outer system ice world.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps