Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Possible explanation for the Breen's seemingly metallic organic ships. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Possible explanation for the Breen's seemingly metallic organic ships.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Just like, I believe, the Tholians, in that they have to use environmental suits to survive in most alien climates."

That's the first time I've ever heard it suggested that the Tholians wore environmental suits. Most people assume that was either a helmet, or the shape of the Tholian's head.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Breen has always been referred to as an ice world. I believe the first reference to it was when Quark said that some woman was as "cold as a Breen winter." The Breen had been mentioned before that, but I don't think the climate of their world had.

Dukat told Kira that it was "bitter cold on Breen." All these people seemed to know first hand what it was like on Breen. I choose to take Weyoun's comment as sarcasm...I don't know why he thought it was funny...but I don't care

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Breen references (to clear it up)
#1: Betazoids can't read Breen. 'The Loss' (TNG)
#2: They use cloaking devices and disruptors. They do NOT wear purple helmets. 'Hero Worship' [TNG]
#3: A Breen pilot sailed in a race at DS3. 'Interface' (TNG)
#4: Breen are one of a few races that use type-3 disruptors, already noted before. 'Generations'
#5: Young pregnancies are common for the Breen 'Elogium' (VGR)
#6: The Breen homeworld is a frozen wasteland 'Crossfire' [DS9]
#7: Breen pirates shot down the Ravinok. They caused phaser burns instead of disruptor burns. They wear refrigerated suits 'Indiscretion' [DS9]
#8: Breen pirates attacked a Bajoran colony in 2372 'To The Death' (DS9)
#9: Owing to the cold climate of their evolution, the Breen do not have blood 'In Pugatory's Shadow' [DS9]
#10: The Romulans say 'Never Turn your back on a Breen' 'By Inferno's Light' [DS9]
#11: The Breen used 'spacecaft that employed biological technology' according to the ENCYC. 'Scorpion' [VGR]

After this, the Breen started appearing reguarly and were no longer the favortie name dropper race of scriptwriters.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.geocities.com/thot_tom/breen

Haven't touched it, in, well, two years. But its still fairly complete.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. Only 348 days 'til "Enterprise" starts...
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
348 days till next September 26...

[ October 12, 2001: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
11: The Breen used 'spacecaft that employed biological technology' according to the ENCYC. 'Scorpion' [VGR]

I beleive the exact quote was, "Starfleet has encountered several races that use organic based vessels. The Breen for example." Tuvok--Scorpion Part 1

This leaves me to wonder about the other races Starfleet has encountered that use organic based vessels as well as the Breen warhips.

[ October 13, 2001: Message edited by: MIB ]

IP: Logged
David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, there is "Tinman".

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TSN, yeh I had like many thought the Tholians were some bizarre silicon based species, due to their weird facetted heads. But I thought it was at least possible their appearance was due to some kind of hard suit, possibly an environmental suit like the Breen. But of course, no real canon info on this exists. Just a theory.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To answer the Kira/Duckat seeing a breen when they stole it's clothes - maybe once the refridgeration suit has been penetrated or exposed to the surrounding air... the Breen might 'melt' or 'shrivel' or 'combust' or something that would prevent anyone from ever seeing them outside their suit - only if they visit them on Breen... which I'm guessing very few have done.

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the melting idea the most - either the suits are needed to prevent the destruction of the body, or they are built to CAUSE the destruction, for reasons of secrecy. Of course, S:AaB already did that one, with their combustible silicon lifeforms (a rare scientific plausibility point to them for that!).

But it could also be that there's a really good reason why Kira shouldn't tell about the true Breen nature to the Klingons, or to Worf in particular. Perhaps the Breen are smoothheaded Klingons? Perhaps they are Bajorans? Perhaps they are the Hur'q who pillaged the Klingon planet ages ago? (Perhaps there's no difference between those three?) Kira naturally won't tell Sisko, since she knows Sisko can't keep a secret. And the only other to ever strip a Breen would indeed be Dukat. Or perhaps Kira did the stripping for him?

As for "organic based ships", perhaps the Breen ones are capable of "life functions" like healing, growing and having little pup-ships? This would not require them to consist of any particular type of material, really. And if we assume that all the Breen warships we saw were of the same breed, their finest, then we can understand why they were all of the same shape but apparently of different sizes - some were younger than others!

Timo Saloniemi

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

I had an idea once that the Breen have some sort of mercury-based substance that flows between their cells and acts as an alternative to a circulatory system. If they get too warm, though, the mercury expands (cf. a thermometer) and all their cells burst, leaving them as just a mass of silvery goo.

Scientifically plausible? I don't know. Neat idea? I think so. :-)

As for Kira and Dukat... Was it shown that the suits they wore were definitely off the Breen they shot? Maybe they tried to get those suits off, couldn't, and found some spares in a closet, or something.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe they are liquid life forms and when that suit comes off... all there is - is a large pile of watery mess...

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps