Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Defiant's aft torp launchers (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Defiant's aft torp launchers
NeghVar
Member # 62

- posted      Profile for NeghVar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unless they refitted the D-7's and K'T'Inga's from the Klingons...they indeed were using M/AM Warp Cores...

At least in some point of their history.

[ October 15, 2001: Message edited by: NeghVar ]

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't even like the theory I formerly stated--- it's not a flavorful as I'd like it to be.

Mine:
Romulans create a warp drive with fusion power [WDF], sometime after Earth does [to explain the lower tech (similar technology should develop on similar time tables for the two powers according to most ST rules)]. They use this WDF for many years, especially between 2150-2260's.

By the Romulan-Klingon alliance, the Romulans know about M/AR, but don't develop that technology because they want the artifical quantum singularity tech. By 2340's ["Yesterday's Enterprise"] the Romulans have developed this technology [possibly earlier].
_______

Another point, there is no evidence to say the Romulans didn't or did have M/AR. I view them as having it, but not really caring. IMO, the Romulans got M/AR from the Klingons [along with the ship design]. This advanced the Romulans ahead some what [I feel they didn't apply the technology to their entire fleet--- thus a moot advance], but the Romulans still focused on ZPE tech. It might be that the Tomed Incident was the Romulans testing their newly developed ZPE tech on the Feds.

It seems strange but I like to think of the Romulans in this kinda contridicted terms. The Romulans develop WDF after Earth does. They don't pursue M/AR, which is what Earth has, but ZPE which is better than what Earth has. They get M/AR from the Klingons, but don't care to use it to it's full advantage, they continue to pursue ZPE with all possible zeal.

It makes sense to me

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

me@webj.cjb.net
http://webj.cjb.net

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about the Romulan Empire was so small and they had no plan/were forbidden to expand that they only got "warp drive" 100 years ago (According to Picard) THAT is when they started becoming more of a threat - expansionists etc. etc. Then along came Tomed and something terrible happened and AGAIN the Romulans returned to their isolationism.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can someone quote me Admiral Dougherty's line about the Romulan thugs? As I recall he says "the 22nd century," which could mean that they might have developed warp drive shortly before the war.

Anyway, if he said "23rd century," then I'll just claim that he was confused.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:
Can someone quote me Admiral Dougherty's line about the Romulan thugs? As I recall he says "the 22nd century," which could mean that they might have developed warp drive shortly before the war.

Anyway, if he said "23rd century," then I'll just claim that he was confused.

He never gave the century number, just the time span of a hundred years.

Just for the sake of completeness, I might add that "Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges" mentions three hundred years of distrust between humans and Romulans, suggesting that first contact with them was around the 2070s. I have a feeling that (since it's not in the sacred chronology or encyclopedia) this particular throwaway line won't be remembered if the Romulans show up in Enterprise.

[ October 17, 2001: Message edited by: Ryan McReynolds ]

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, when i say 'three hundred years' im usually not trying to be exact. The problem is that people will hear someone say 'x hundred years ago'and figure they were a smart cookie and were quoting the exact time, which just happens to be a multiple of 100 today.

When i was discussing the revolutionary war with someone recently, i said 'things were different 300 years ago' because its is 2001, and i remember that the revolution was in the 1700s. i subtracted 20-17 in my head while i was talking and got 3, so i said 300. I know full well the revolutionary war began 225 years ago. It was just more efficient for the conversation to not go get a calculator and get the exact figure before i lost my train of thought. We have to accept that when someone gives a figure like that it could be +/- 75 years, depending on what mnemonic device they use to remember it, and that in the Star Trek universe no one is walking around flipping through the chronology before they say something.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's also an additional fudge factor (mmm... fudge...) in what Dougherty and Picard say. First they discuss how the Romulans were transformed from harmless to harmful by their acquisition of warp drive. Then the discussion moves on to the Son'a. And THEN Dougherty says "we can handle the Son'a". To which Picard: "I bet somebody said that about the Romulans a century ago".

So in fact it could go like this:

Good old days: Romulans terrorize their weakling neighbors using sublight ships. Other, stronger races laugh at them good-naturedly.
2086: Romulans get warp.
2133: Romulans fight with Earth, with pitiful weapons. Earth wins hands down, and Adm. Adama says "Don't worry, we can handle them."
2178: Romulans fight with Earth again, now with better weapons. Earth wins hands down with UFP help, and Adm. Bellson says "Don't worry, we can handle them."
2266: Romulans come out again, now with cloaks. Kirk defeats them, and Adm. Chavez says, "Don't worry, we can handle them."
2311: Romulans come out once more, and hit Tomed with something that scares Starfleet out of its pants. Adm. Donner says "Uh... You can start worrying now." Ever since, people have regretted that admirals A through C never eradicated the Romulans when they had the chance.

The other end of the option spectrum is that somebody, perhaps even Earth, gave them warp exactly 100 years before "Insurrection" and has been regretting that ever since.

And anything and everything between those is possible and even probable...

Timo Saloniemi

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now there's a story for you. Earth in some of it's less inspiring moments of wisdom, gave Romulans tech to fight somebody else that as enemies of Earth (maybe the Klingons). Then of course, the Romulans turn on Earth using and improving what Earth gave them and start the Romulan Wars. Now that's a story for 'Enterprise'. The kind that has far reaching ramifications, fits in with the greater storyline in Star Trek, and comments on today's events.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bah, the Federation can take the Romulans. Those guys lost their chance to take the Federation during the earlier TNG years, before Starfleet started to get its act together because of the Borg. If it weren't for the fact they chose to enter the Dominion war so late and their territory is so far away, they'd be in even poorer shape.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think Romulan territory is very far from the Federation at all...
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Daugherty: We can handle the Son'a (a warp capable civilization)

Picard: I bet somebody said that about the Romulans (a warp capable civilization) a century ago

i like analogies.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
I don't think Romulan territory is very far from the Federation at all...

Oh no, I meant from Romulan space to the front lines of Dominion War.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, sorry. Yeah.
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.