Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Another Pre-E.

Author Topic: Another Pre-E.
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Caught your attention, aye?

A new Spacehab/RKK Energia space project for some kind of commercial craft.
http://www.russianspaceweb.com/iss_enterprise.html

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The ISS Enterprise? I hope we arent living in the mirror universe. *checks mirror* damn.. i have a silly goatee.. i am definitely and conclusively an evil counterpart, by all science fiction standards.

What is 'Enterprise' in Russian? Or are they just calling it that trying to sell models to us rich capitalist Trekkers?

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Enterprise is actually trying to be created by Spacehab, and American company. They're the ones that build the Spacelabs that get put into the shuttle's payload bay so it can do science...or try to anyway.

Suffice it to say, they are an American company to begin with. And Enterprise was well under way and named befored 'Enterprise'. If that makes any sense.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Note also that this article was posted prior to the latest round of NASA cutbacks. Unless things change drastically again, the ISS will no longer have the CRV seven-person escape pod, nor the habitation module, thus preventing the ISS from having more than a three-person permenant crew. The also axed the propulsion module, which would have allowed the station to reboost its orbit without the shuttle.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In fact, the Enterprise module is now being marketed as a solution to the habitat problem, with the Russians examining the possibility of docking more Soyuzes to the station for re-entry needs.

Spacehab has a good rep with those pressurized extension modules in the shuttle bay, but one shouldn't confuse that with Spacelab, the all-European system featuring similar yet not identical modules. Spacehab's modules have flat tops, Spacelab's are completely cylindrar with conical endcaps... The former were once investigated as a possible extension module type for ISS, while the latter were used as the basis of the European ISS lab module design (although not quite to the degree originally intended).

Timo Saloniemi

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another alternative to the cutback crew module ould be adapting the existing design of the MPLM logistics modules they already use for transferring supplies and garbage with the space shuttle. Modify and hard-dock a couple of those to empty ports not used by other cutback modules, and you've got a relatively inexpensive solution.

Also, twin Soyuzes docked at the station was once considered, before the Americans decided to build the more expensive CRV. Now if only they coudl get a Soyuz to last longer than six months in space...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps