Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » ENTech Fun, Fun, Fun! ["Unexpected" $$$] (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: ENTech Fun, Fun, Fun! ["Unexpected" $$$]
David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The_Tom:
David: Of course, we have no idea what a Vulcan ship is capable of, either. Humans may very well be ridiculously behind the Klingons, but other worlds of the soon-to-be Federation may be on more of a par. One can glean from a Blalock interview (that I conveniently can't find now) that a visiting Vulcan Captain will come to dinner soonish at Archer's table, and presumably he'll bring his ship with him.

*drools* I hope the Vulcan captain says something like "my son's baby stroller is more advanced than your ship".

Judging by the tech difference, I think the Klingons has been space travelling much longer than the humans. As to the Vulcans "holding the humans back", that is unfair. The Vulcans simply weren't sharing much of their technology, which meant that the humans had to do most of the work themselves. Their main bitterness is that the Vulcans could have advanced their technology much more quickly, rather than bit by bit. Keep in mind, the Klingons didn't even have *that*. All they had was Kahless pointing to a star in the sky, telling the Klingon people that he'll return there someday.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lucky for them it happened to have a habitable planet.

Or did he know?

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course he did, he's Kahless, the first Emperor of the Klingon Empire. I mean, the man forged a sword from his own hair, molten lava, and his own two hands! Now that's a handiman's man, and he didn't even use duct tape. Pointing at a star with an inhabitable planet in orbit should be as natural to him as scratching himself.

P.S. I wonder what the hair part says about Klingon hygene.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A question on "Unexpected":

If the Xyrillians can resequence photons in their holochambers, then why can't they reproduce something as simple as H20?
Am I to assume that the Xyrillians do not know water *at all*?

It would have taken the Xyrillians a month at their impulse engines to get to their home/nearest base. If we assume that they were travelling at .25c, then the travel would have been 0.0212 lightyears, or 1342 AU or 2x10^11 kilometers. On a galactic scale, that's not very far away.

[ October 19, 2001: Message edited by: Harry ]

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That part really bugged me, too - it's not like water is especially uncommon in the universe. I'm curious as to what the liquid in the Xyrillian sea was... They exist at a higher pressure, so a wider varety of non-hydrous compounds would be possible. But no water?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would the higher-pressure atmosphere perhaps have something to do with the fact that they had only ice chips? I mean, obviously the pressure onboard wasn't so high that water instantly solidified, as we'd have had a Tripsicle, but perhaps whatever tech they had was accustomed to spitting out H20 compressed.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah. That whole, "This is the closest thing we can come to water." bit was a bit odd. It's really the only thing that bugged me about the episode.
IP: Logged
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But OTOH, they are aliens, and in reality we can't even begin to imagine what life on a completely different planet has evolved to.

Perhaps the Xyrillian homeworld underwent some crazy metamorphosis, like Earth did when plants started converting C02 (which was nice and breathable) to O2 (aarggh!! poison!), and all us little animals adapted to the O2.
Maybe on Xyrillia, H20 was converted into CH4 and CO or something. This would explain the decompression process, the doziness of Trip and their unfamiliarity with replicating liquid water.

--------------------

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Judging by the synopsis of "Breaking the Ice" we'll almost definitely see a Vulcan ship there. (It's also probably where the dinner-with-the-Vulcan captain is, too)

It's concievable that a Vulcan ship may turn up the week earlier, in "The Andorian Incident," but who knows.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

Now, if they show a T'Pau type ship there, I'm going to scream!

Does anyone know if they made a usable T'Plana-Hath CGI model for 'First Contact'? I'd have no problems with seeing that one again.

--------------------

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty sure that the t'Plana-Hath model was made in CGI, and only the hatch built as a practical model, so they should be able to use it. If the old 'not-Apollo' Vulcan model is kicking around, im not sure they would use it.. do they still do 'traditional' models?.. I'd actually be alright with seeing it.. its a nice design we didnt get to see enough.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

I doubt they'd even bother to call up a model shop to do shots for just one episode. Assuming they don't go TOS on us and not show it, it'll be a CGI creation. That isn't to say that the CGI model they'll build mightn't draw design cues from the T'Pau, because it could, or it could be outright copied ( ).

I doubt they'll reuse the Vulcan lander, though. While it was never really made clear if that was just a lander with a larger ship in orbit or an autonomous interstellar craft, it certainly would look silly flying through space. But more importantly, having it dwarfed by Enterprise would just look weird. I'd think that the Vulcan ship would be considerably bigger than Enterprise, if only to get across the "we can kick your ass" mentality.

[ October 21, 2001: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dunno about that. Typically on Star Trek, whether a ship is more or less powerful than the main starship is almost always dependent on whether the ship is larger or smaller than the main starship. Ever notice that nearly ALL the guest ships voyager encountered were smaller than her, and she could kick the snot out of nearly all of them? Then there are races like the Borg, the Voth, the Krenim, etc. Guess what - their ships are as large or larger than Voyager! Exceptions include the Timeship Aeon and Species 8472, but that's generally for dramatic effect.

Of course, this is normalized by the dramatic effect of similar-sized ships duking it out. In Trek, almost every time one ship is about to blow another to pieces, we see it in a "higher" posititon relative to the doomed vessel. This is usually done to make the winning ship look bigger and dramatically more plausible than the other one.

Where am I going with this? Well, the Vulcans are GOOD guys, and thus by the rule of Trek they *have* to make the Pre-E look better. Ergo, they have to be smaller than her. I guess we'll see in a couple weeks...

Mark

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps