Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » P.W.B. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: P.W.B.
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got screenshots of the computerdisplay seen in the DS9 episode "The Siege of AR558".

Pic 1
Pic 2

It's a modification of the "In the Pale Moonlight"-display and it shows that Romulan ships use P.W.B. There are also some Klingon ships. Any guesses what PWB means?

[ October 20, 2001: Message edited by: Spike ]

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since we only saw the Romulan warbirds being used in the Dominion War battle scenes, I guess that PWB could stand for Praetorial WarBird.

I'll also add that there seems to be a secondary identification under the Romulan ship names. On the Federation ships, the ship's registry is written in a smaller font under the ship's name. Under the Romulan ship's name is another word(s)/number(s) in a smaller font.

[ October 20, 2001: Message edited by: Siegfried ]

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent caps!

Some new stuff, finally.

Interesting in that the chart is formatted with "Stock Footage, USS" for the Feds but "PWB Stock Footage" for the Rommies. Perhaps "PWB" isn't exactly analogical to USS, although I'd consider it a fair enough guess to assume that Okuda was getting at Praetor's Warbird.

I'll second Sieggy's idea that the single string of characters below the Romulan ships' name is some kind of registry. One wonders if its a mixture of letters and numbers or just a straight number.

Does anyone have any idea what the coloured boxes beside each name represent? Different colors for Wounded, MIA and KIA?

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the Romulan registry is the registry of the Starfleet ship, that was on this place on the original display.

The first ship in the first column in pic 2 looks like 'IHR. Could be a Klingon ship named FEK'IHR.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The unnamed Romulan bird-of-prey in "Balance of Terror" is identified as a Praetor's Warbird.
Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It looks like there's a "USS" on the line. It looks like USS George or USS Cole to me.

--------------------
Meh

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
USS Wyoming is easily identifiable. I believe another one is USS Tecumseh. Starbase 119 looks to be on there too. Don't know the rest.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, the boxes by the names are differently colored and say "KIA", "MIA" and "WIA". We've seen clear scans of one of these Okudagrams before.
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

On the clear scann yellow for example is used for MIA and KIA.
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You guys probably have looked harder than i have, but the first top row (of the second pic) im looking at looks like
P.W.B TxxxxxL.. TORxxAL.. Toroidal. probably not
P.W.B DxxxxxxX.. maybe the D'Deridex
KEARSARGE, U.S.S. (maybe)--this ship lacks a NCC registry also, but has a Starfleet arrowhead

The clearest ones are to the left and theyre cut off, both Romulan but seem a little wierd
--x'LHR
--J'xxxR.. the x letters look like A or Ms

[ October 22, 2001: Message edited by: CaptainMike ]

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:
KEARSARGE, U.S.S. (maybe)--this ship lacks a NCC registry also, but has a Starfleet arrowhead

Starbase 129

quote:
both Romulan
--x'LHR

The insignia doesn't look like the Romulan. I think that's a Klingon ship.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What happens to these marvellous Okudagrams!?! It's true that they're all done on the 'puter aren't they? Get a hold of Mike Okuda and ask him for the names. (The ships not the people - although some of the positions for the Romulan and Klingon personnel would be interesting)

Romulan positions we've heard of so far:

Centurion
surely there are positions in here
Sub Commander
Commander
how about above here

Political:

Senator
Proconsul
Praetor

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's what I think we have:

a b d f h i k m
a c d f h i k m
a c e f h i k m
a c e g h j l n
a c e g h j l n

a) PWB *'***** [Rom] ****
b) ******* *** [no icon] *******
c) ******* *** [SF] ********
d) *** ***K'LHR [Kli] ****
e) *** J'***R [Rom] ****
f) PWB TO**AL [Rom] 2****6
g) WYOMING, USS [SF] NCC 427**
h) PWB D***** [Rom] 5*****2
i) STARBASE 1*9 [SF]
j) ******* *** [SF] ******
k) PWB ******* [Rom] ******
l) ******** USS? [SF] ******
m) *** ****** [Kli] *****
n) **** USS? [SF] ******

(d), the *** ***K'LHR has a snippet of a KDF logo below it, I think. (A Klingon emblem with a polygonal rather than circular background). That would lend creedence to IKS FEK'LHR. There's what could be another Klingon logo in the far right column.

(c) jumps out at me as either KEARSAGE, USS or STARBASE 122. The presence of a registry might make me lean towards a ship.

Andrew: I think "Centurion" has been shown to be consistently lower in rank than "Commander." Both the old dude in "Balance of Terror" and Bochra in "The Enemy" seemed to treat Commanders as superiors. Wasn't there a rank of "Subalmet" or something similar mentioned on Voyager?

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

quote:
Get a hold of Mike Okuda and ask him for the names

Sent him a mail on Saturday.

quote:
c) ******* *** [SF] ********

Cochrane, U.S.S.
NCC-59318
(from the original display)

quote:
f) PWB TO**AL [Rom] 2****6

19386 (assuming that the Tripolis' NCC is used)

quote:
g) WYOMING, USS [SF] NCC 427**

NCC-43730 (from the original display)

quote:
h) PWB D***** [Rom] 5*****2

33184 (assuming that the Zapata's NCC is used)

quote:
i) STARBASE 1*9 [SF]

Starbase 129 (from the original display)

quote:
j) ******* *** [SF] ******

Tecumseh, U.S.S.
NCC-14934

quote:
k) PWB ******* [Rom] ******

38529 (assuming that the Sarajevo's NCC is used)

quote:
l) ******** USS? [SF] ******

Victory, U.S.S.
NCC-9754

quote:
n) **** USS? [SF] ******

Nobel, U.S.S.
NCC-55012

Original display

[ October 23, 2001: Message edited by: Spike ]

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think the Romulan ships have the same numbers from the original display. They appear to be more then 5 digits.

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps