Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » The Federation is 10,000 light years across? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Federation is 10,000 light years across?
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Argh! Will everyone stop it w/ the Romulan impulse drive thing?! That's not what Scotty said! "Power", not "drive"! How often must this foolishness be disputed?! AAAAAHHHH!!!

*runs from the room screaming*

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup. We've discussed in depth how it would be pretty much impossible for a FTL-capable species to have a war (in space) with a species that couldn't break the speed of light. Rationalise it as saying the Romulans had a FTL drive that wasn't warp. Rationalise it that they were using impulse engine to power their warp drive. Wonder how the Romulans could have possibly had a weapon that could go FTL when their ships couldn't. But don't say that Romulans couldn't even manage warp 1. That is just silly.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
But the 'Voyager should have gone to the Gamma Quadrant theory'?
Bullshit.

quote:
Heading for such an unstable place would have been such a silly idea.

And heading straight for Borg space isn't? So far as Janeway & co. knew, the only ship that managed to defeat a Borg ship was the E-D, and even she didn't out-muscle it. Realistically speaking, to expect a single, less powerful ship to sail clean through the heart of Borg territory unscratched is hogwash.

You could at least talk to the Dominion; if it hadn't been for Species 8472, the Borg would have had no reason not to assimilate Voyager's crew. So, at least in my book, the choice between the Gamma and Delta quadrants should have been a no-brainer.

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm saying if you are stuck somewhere and there are two dangerous ways out, a door you can see and a door that might not be there that is twice as far away, you should take the way that is definitely clear instead of the way where there may *not* be a way out.
Raw Cadet
Member # 725

- posted      Profile for Raw Cadet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a great website (the name escapes me right now) that offers a plausible, in my opinion, explanation for descriptions of the size of the Federation.

Does anyone else know what I am talking about? The site has beautiful, detailed maps, and the guy obviously put a lot of effort into his work.

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watch your step, TSN, them floors are slippery.

I don't know about the Voyager not being able to make it through Borg space without Species 1-800-something. I think that the dedication, ingeniuity, passion, faith, lack of character and unlimited supply of plot devices of the crew of USS Voyager would have defeated anything that gets in their way.

"Remodulate the shield frequency! Captain, time for a new hair-doo!"

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're referring to ST Dimension?

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Raw Cadet
Member # 725

- posted      Profile for Raw Cadet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is the website I was thinking of, The_Tom. Thank you.
MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
Argh! Will everyone stop it w/ the Romulan impulse drive thing?! That's not what Scotty said! "Power", not "drive"! How often must this foolishness be disputed?! AAAAAHHHH!!!

*runs from the room screaming*

All Scotty says about their power is "simple impulse". Now, in physics the definition of impulse (Oxford Consise Science Dictionary) s "The product of a force F and the time t for which it acts...The impulse of a force acting for a given time interval is equal to the change in momentum produced over that interval." That's motion, not power.

Theoretically, I suppose that if impulse engines were fusion powered, impulse could become a synonym for fusion...but I suspect that's not what the author's intended.

My take on it was always that the ship could only move at impulse power while cloaked. But this leads to other problems (like how far back do you hgave to cloak in order to sneak up on a sensor laden outpost?)

I'd love to see the memo trail for this episode and if that line was the product of one!

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Raw Cadet
Member # 725

As I am new here, I am uncertain, but might now be a good time to post something like . . .

runs away screaming, tripping over a dead horse branded Romulan Warp Drive Debate on the way

. . . Just wondering?

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right on, buddy. Except that nothing stays dead in Trek for too long, not even equines.

Janeway's decision not to go for the Gamma wormhole has been supported by three main lines of argument so far:

1) The trip would not be markedly shorter.
2) The wormhole might not be there when they arrive.
3) There are known dangers en route.

Now, the first semi-official map about Voyager's distress was in the DS9 Tech Manual, and it indeed supported the idea that the trip would not have been shortened much. And definitely it would have been lengthened considerably if the wormhole had been unavailable. The canonical chart seen in the final VOY episodes (this one) further reinforces the view - Ocampa City, Earth and the wormhole form an almost equilateral triangle.

The second point has already been addressed - Janeway knew that the wormhole was prissy as a princess. Nothing further on that.

The third point bears closer examination. At that point, Janeway knew where the Dominion was - swarming around the wormhole mouth (although later events would prove that they weren't that big a presence in the region, Janeway would not know THAT). Did she know where the Borg were? The only episode to suggest that they could be in Delta was "Descent", and even there it was a minor reference in one of the graphics, not a verbal mention or a plot point. And the wormhole is small, but Delta is big - the chances of missing the Borg would be pretty good, while the chances of missing the wormhole and thus the Dominion would be zero if the goal was to *reach* the said wormhole.

Perhaps it would have been a good idea to mention the impossibility of the Gamma Gambit in a side remark in some early Voyager episode. That would have made the audience realize that the writers recognized the existence of the other Trek show at least. But the soundness of Janeway's decision doesn't depend on us hearing her spell it out for us.

Timo Saloniemi

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is all, of course, dependent upon the assumption the Janeway was in the practice of making sound logical command decisions.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Jack_Crusher
Member # 696

- posted      Profile for Jack_Crusher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FYI: the only part of a friggin' impulse drive that uses subspace are the subspace accerator coils, which, when plasma is passed through them from the impulse drive fusion reactors, a nonpropulsive subspace field is produced, reducing a ship's apparent mass, making the job of propelling the ship at sublight speeds easier for the impulse engines.

--------------------
Fry- How will we get out of this?
George Takei's head- Maybe we can use some kind of auto-destruct code like one-A, two-B, three-C...
(Bender's head blows up)
Bender- Now everybody knows!
-Futurama's obligatory Star Trek episode

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course. How foolish of everyone not to know that extremely common (and canon) piece of information.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps