Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Transporter continuity *g* - canon evidence (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Transporter continuity *g* - canon evidence
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Firstly, yes Bernd, that's probably the closest we've got thus far to a legitimate continuity error.

As everyone's proven above me, it's a fairly easy exercise, however, to rationalize it out and make it work. "200 years ago" could indeed have been more like 225. The flight out to Moab IV (which was pretty out-of-the-way in the 24th century) could have taken 15 years using wimpy warp-2 capable ships. That puts their departure in 2128, which could easily be before the invention of a cargo-only transporter by some Vulcan researcher, which will later be refined for biological use.

What I find more intersting is that no member of the collective intelligence-gathering network of Star Trek geekdom could present this info until now, three or four months after we've known that the show would have transporters. Let's face it, this implied early limit on transporter development from "The Masterpiece Society" is so obscure that Okuda could never be expected to note that. When it takes four months for fandom to do their worst to find a continuity error, how the hell can anyone lay any blame on the producers for "missing" this with a straight face?

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agreed. And since we've even come up with an explanation, we are obviously the lords of all cheesedom. Or something.

And regarding the Ferengi: Sorry, don't buy it. Apparently every alien race in the galaxy had contact with them, as did several members of the Federation, and yet Starfleet had nothing on them, beyond "they're very capatilist, and a bit scary"?

Besides, how shit would a Starfleet admiral have to be to want to classify the Ferengi? Especially the early TNG Ferengi? Or did Vice-Admiral Toto of Starfleet Intelligence have a morbid fear of the winged monkeys from the Wizard of Oz?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
When it takes four months for fandom to do their worst to find a continuity error, how the hell can anyone lay any blame on the producers for "missing" this with a straight face?

I'm not blaming them. I never expected Okuda or anyone else to find obscure evidence pro or contra the use of transporters or any other technology. If they wanted transporters for the new series, they would have made them possible also against canon evidence. First the premise, then the continuity. The will to make the look and feel visually different from what we know, like in the cases of the shuttle launchers and the tractor beam, was not there.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is even better. Later in the episode (at least according to the script), Geordi says about the transporters:

"It won't affect her DNA at all, there
s been a century of evidence to prove that."

1) Did Geordi blurt out a figure in the heat of the moment?

2) Were DNA tests relatively inaccurate (with respect to the immense standards of the 24th century) in Archer's and even Kirk's time?

I would think that we can tell *today* if DNA has been affected by transport.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It could mean that since a century transporters just became more precise, and didn't affect DNA anymore.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I would think that we can tell *today* if DNA has been affected by transport.

How would we do that when we don't know how transporters work and therefor what affect they would have on DNA? You wouldn't be referring to recent interesting experimens in quantum physics would you?

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I suppose we can check the DNA before and the DNA after and see if there are differences.

But I admit I'm pressed for a qualified scientific opinion here. Last time I took Biology was in ninth grade.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"It could mean that since a century transporters just became more precise, and didn't affect DNA anymore."

Shouldn't that mean that everytime Kirk and Archer's crews used the transporter, they'd grow an extra nose, or turn into fish, or make you look like Meatloaf (going by the Star Trek pattern that altering your DNA immedietly changes your physical appearence)?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In a realworldscience sense, early transporters might've knocked out one-in-a-trillion base pairs here and there, occasionally causing what would resemble radiation-induced mutations in one's genome.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Boris
Member # 713

Tony Blair is a Vorlon.

Anyway, I think we're getting off the point here. Geordi really says that there is a century of evidence proving that transporters don't change DNA. Maybe you just couldn't *prove* it back in Archer's time?

[ October 23, 2001: Message edited by: Phelps ]

Jack_Crusher
Member # 696

- posted      Profile for Jack_Crusher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey ho, has any one here actually watched the TNG episode "The Battle"? It establishes that in the early to mid 2350's, the Federation starship Stargazer, commanded by Captain Jean Luc Picard, was traveling throught the Maxia Zeta system, when an alien ship appeared on its sensors. The Stargazer went in to establich First Contact with the ship, but when the Stargazer approached the ship, which would later turn out to be a Ferengi ship, fired on the Stargazer, hammering its shields with intense fire. Realizing that the Ferengi ship used old light speed carrier waves as its sensor systems, and realizing that jumping to high warp and pulling out abreast of the Ferengi ship would leave two sensor images of the Stargazer on the Ferengi sensors: the image of the Stargazer moving to warp speed, and the actual Stargazer alongside the ship. While the Ferengi were still confused by the two images, Picard ordered for full weapons fire on the Ferengi ship, effectively destroying it. This manuever was later termed the Picard Manuever. The weapons fire from the Stargazer actully crippled it self, and Picard ordered abandon ship. The crew "limped through space for weeks" before help arrived.

--------------------
Fry- How will we get out of this?
George Takei's head- Maybe we can use some kind of auto-destruct code like one-A, two-B, three-C...
(Bender's head blows up)
Bender- Now everybody knows!
-Futurama's obligatory Star Trek episode

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

Great. Now how about a five minute summary of "Home Soil"?

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Oh dear god no.

Yes Jack, we've seen "The Battle". Er, was there a point?

--------------------

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why oh why did you explain the Picard Maneuver over a question about Ferengi first contact?

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps