Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Bloody Boiling Hell. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Bloody Boiling Hell.
Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
How do we know they had to? Maybe the guns have been in boxes for
seventy years, they spied the away team and whipped them out, as they've
been instructed by the elders to do when the evil humans return.

Interesting. So, when you're dying of radiation poisoning and so on, you're going to take time out to teach your 5 year old how to maintain and shoot a machine gun. Makes sense to me.

Seriously, though, the machine guns do raise a problem, in that there didn't seem anything down in the caves that indicated the level of technology needed to maintain the guns in working order. The Novans were similar to the kids in Mad Max 3 in terms of technical sophistication.
Given the appearance of the colony, I had the impression that the final collapse of the society happened relatively quickly, and there simply wouldnt have been enough time to teach the kids how to do such a complicated task, to say nothing of manufacturing ammunition to the tolerances necessary for an automatic weapon.

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They had all the ammunition in boxes and never used it till enterprise arrived

and to teach someone to use a gun?
'this is the thing you pull and this is the end you point at the thing you want to die' -- Homer

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about how to clean it after you use it? Or how to clear it if it jams? Or how to keep it in working order in a dirty, damp environment (like a cave)?

Besides, ever try firing a machine gun on full automatic? Unless you've been trained, it's damned hard to keep your aim on target. I don't think the kids and grandkids of the survivors would be able to hit a bull in the ass with a barn door unless they'd been practicing, and then you're back with the maintenance question again.

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They only hit Reed by luck -- they were spraying those weapons around.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd be willing to bet that the Novans' weapons were kept locked up for until the Enterprise crew came down. The one that Reed was initially chasing didn't seem to be armed. In fact, it took a good while for an armed Novan to appear. Reed and Archer come into the big chamber, and they are distracted by the two Novans hiding on the ledge. Then the armed Novan comes out and is stunned by Archer. Look back to the ledge and the two that were there are gone. This looks to me like it was a setup to give the Novans time to get their weapons.

It looks to me that the Novans weren't all that experienced with their weapons. They were just sorta aiming in the general direction they wanted to shoot in and pressed the trigger. Looking at the impact of the bullets against the cavern walls makes it seem to me that they were struggling with some kickback or that they weren't used to keeping the gun steady while running. And I agree with Jeff. It looks like Reed was only taken out by luck (or ricochet).

[ October 28, 2001: Message edited by: Siegfried ]

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
And I agree with Mark

Mark?!

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oops... Sorry about that Jeff. I was just quickly skimming through the thread and misread "Malnurtured Snay" for "Mark Nguyen." You are correct, it was you who said that and not Mark.

Just a little starving for recognition, are you?

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Well, first Omega thinks I'm Red Admiral, then you think I'm Mark Nguyen. I'm going to have to smack some people around here, methinks.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

You and what army? And, no, an army of LEGO men doesn't count.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Well, first Omega thinks I'm Red Admiral, then you think I'm Mark Nguyen. I'm going to have to smack some people around here, methinks."

A bit rich coming from the man who spent several months insisting that I was gay.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

I didn't insist on it. And, yes, I was under that impression ... but as I recall, I was under that impression because of something you said. Like, "I'm gay".

Besides, it's not like there's a box that shows up "Gay/Straight" when someone posts. I mean, my fucking name shows up on every post I make. Much harder to mistake one person for someone else.

PsyLiam -- Gay
Malnurtured Snay -- Deer Killer Extraordinare

[ October 28, 2001: Message edited by: Malnurtured Snay ]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

Wait a second, Liam's not gay? Damn it! My entire world has now collapsed!

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, waitasec. I'm *still* me, and I'm *still* straight, right?

Mark

[ October 28, 2001: Message edited by: Mark Nguyen ]

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wondering... am i gay?

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

In the end, we're all gay.

Ducks, runs, and hides to avoid the onslaught of groans and thrown objects at the bad pun.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.