Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Question (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Question
Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

next

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking as an official Flare historian...

The list of wars that have been fought in the past, some with minor, some with major casualty figures:

-U.S.S. Melbourne, Excelsior or Nebula?
-Defiant, length
-Bird of Prey, variants
-Wolf 359, wreckage identification
-NCC 1701, location of engineering
-U.S.S. Yamato, registry number

But this one takes the cake.

-Spacedock, and the Shady Thingamajigg

[ October 29, 2001: Message edited by: Mojo Jojo ]

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting list. So there was no "Valiant or Defiant class?"-war at Flare?
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't remember a Valiant/ Defiant Class arguement in the last couple of years...but I think it was pretty much cleared up when Ezri referred to it as Defiant Class on-screen, no?

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was a Defiant/Valiant debate of sorts back on the old UP1 bulletin board. There was also the great "It's an Akira! It's a Norway! The model was changed! No it wasn't" which ranks right up near the top in terms of forehead-veins popped.

And while this has been bloody in recent terms and Wolf359 went on and on and on (usually rather constructively) the 34 consecutive Defiant length wars are, when taken together, the bloodiest conflict we've ever had, bar none.

[ October 29, 2001: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-Bird of Prey, variants

Oh, I didn't remember those. What was the concensus? Four different versions?

Star Trek III - 12-crew
Martok's Type
Big Galaxy-Class Size

... ?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Klingon BOP size differences are offensive to me.. i often wake in my sleep screaming about window inconsistencies

I think that there is one small one with a crew of 12 and a huge whale-sized cargo area, and possibly a variant of the same size whithout the whale-sized cargo area, enabling it to operate with a larger crew.
And then there is one that is scaled up, but not more that 50 meters that support a crew of 50-100 and look larger a la TNG.. there is no canonical evidence that there is a 'supersized' BOP that supports a crew of 1500.

[ October 29, 2001: Message edited by: CaptainMike ]

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Proving that there is no concensus, I think there is only one bird of prey size.

[ October 29, 2001: Message edited by: Ryan McReynolds ]

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh dear, let's not reignite the BoP wars, for all our sakes. I personally go with CapMike on it.

As for the ST:III object, looks like a ship to me. It's free-floating, separate from the infrastructure, so I think it's gotta be. Good work Proteus.

For things on Mojo's list:

-USS Melbourne at Wolf 359 has to be Excelsior, as on screen you can clearly identify 'USS Melbourne' on an Excelsior Class starship.

-Defiant length debate: still in the air

-Wolf 359 wreckage identification: Let's reignite that one! Must have missed that debate, or it was before I joined up at Flare. As a friend and site affiliate of Bernd's I go with a lot of his theories and assertions on this subject.

-USS Yamato reg: I Remember this one. I still insist it has to be NCC 1305-E. That's what Riker said, even though I don't like it much.

There was of course one very heated argument not on Mojo's list, The Akiraprise war....

*tip-toes away quietly*

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyways, to derail your little metadiscussion, I think that this shadow analysis suggests that this object (ship or not) might have been photographed separately from the wall and only combined with it in the optical printer. I know from reading about how this scene was done that Enterprise, Excelsior, and the interior were all models of different scale photographed separately and combined optically. The analysis suggests that this object might have been intended at some point to move, as would a ship, or else the model builders would have simply attached it to the wall.

Also, the spacedock interior model was, I think, dissasembled or even destroyed after STIII and had to be rebuilt from scratch for STIV. Is any similar object visible in STIV?

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A little off topic, but:
The award for "Most Pages Gained In a Single Day" goes to the "2 planes just hit the world trade center in new york" thread in the Officer's Lounge. Or, most pages gained in an hour or minute, for that matter, goes to that thread.

What ignorant fools thought the Defiant was Valiant class? It was the first ship off it's class, for god's sake...
Oh, wait, this was before the Age of Enlightment about ST ships...

--------------------
Meh

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, off topic in a thread called 'Question' isnt far. We should keep this going for random rants.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, did you guys ever solve the Akira torpedoe tube and fighter bay question of design sketch vs onscreen consistency? It bugged me so much that I switched my favorite ship from the Akira to the Excelsior.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
-USS Melbourne at Wolf 359 has to be Excelsior, as on screen you can clearly identify 'USS Melbourne' on an Excelsior Class starship...

Ahem

Not that I'd ever be caught dead bringing a floundering thread still further off it's intended topic, but...

All the canonical evidence supports that there were TWO U.S.S. Melbournes NCC-62043 at the battle of Wolf 359. One Nebula and one Excelsior. The Nebula appeared in BOTH 359 eps, (BoBW and Emissary) and was further displayed complete with a named-and-numbered plaque in TNG "Future Imperfect."

There's just no way around it. You can ignore neither the Excelsior nor the Nebbie. They are what they are: two vessels of different classes bearing the same name and registry number, and appearing concurrently in the same scenario. Wild, bizzare, illogical, and as difficult to explain as that is, that's what happened.

Get over it.

-MMoM

P.S.-
And the "thingy" in the spacedock is a ship!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[ October 30, 2001: Message edited by: The Mighty Monkey of Mim ]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

capped
Member # 709

Um.. except that if i cant read it while watching the episode, its not canon, and i couldnt read the plaque in 'Future' and i sure as hell couldnt see half of a Nebula floating in 'BOBW'

Im more than willing to accept helpful pieces of backstory that can be gleaned from what was there when the filmed it (like the USS Liberator shuttle) but if its contradictory, you take the one that you could see, because the version thats more obvious is what you should have seen, and if its something that you have buy a book with behind the scenes pictures to see, obviously its not part of the finished product.

[ October 30, 2001: Message edited by: CaptainMike ]

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.