Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Question (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Question
Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a shame that the registration number is so more fitting for a Nebula - and that the Nebula appeared first. Other than that, I'd say the case is closed .

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mim has a good point...
However, one piece of canon I will not accept is that 1305-E thing for the Yamato. Riker may have said it, but I think 71807 or whatever is more logical and more willing for me to accept.

--------------------
Meh

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Monkey, the USS Melbourne name could be read on an Excelsior Class starship saucer, that's good enough for me. I'm well aware of the proto-Nebula Melbourne as well, but at no point could I actually read its name and/or registry on it. So its canon status is questionable.

You're right it is a paradoxical situation, but can we tell for sure that when Shelby identifies the gnarled and wrecked Melbourne in BoBW it is a Nebula class wreck... or an Excelsior?

For me I conclude that there was definitly an Excelsior Class USS Melbourne present at Wolf 359, and there was also a Nebula but whose name and registry are uncertain as they didn't appear clearly on screen, even if the actual studio model said Melbourne.

Veers, I accept the 1305-E thing. It was scripted and is hard to ignore. I haven't checked Contagion in a while, so is the amended NCC 71807 reg visibale on the Yamato saucer? If it isn't I'll stick with 1305-E. Also in the TNG Tech Manual (with many of the facts therein considered canon) it states that the Enterprise was one of few Federation ships that were honoured with a lettering sequence, ie Enterprise-A, B, C and so on. This suggests the possibility that there may be other ships in the fleet that have this feature.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Veers
You first
Member # 661

I haven't seen the episode lately either, but I believe you could see the registry when the ship blew up and the saucer came toward the viewscreen.

--------------------
Meh

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You cannot..

its on the part of the saucer thats burning i believe..

besides why are we trying so hard to look for the registry..
Riker said it in 'Where silence Has Lease'

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Again I'll state my view:

What reason is there why the U.S.S. Yamato could not simply have had it's registry changed from NCC-1305-E, to NCC-71807?

I think canonically (what with the U.S.S Nash NCC-2010-B and U.S.S. Dauntless NX-01-A) we have seen that the letter suffix cannot always be literally interpreted to mean that a ship is one of a series with that number.

So I don't see any reason why they can't BOTH be right.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Dauntless wasn't a Starfleet ship.
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the only evidence for the Yamato's 71xxx registry is that it appears on Captain Varley's log entries and on the visual log of the Iconian probe. Other than that, you can't see the registry on the saucer because A) it's too small and B) it's getting burned off of the saucer.

There really isn't much reason to assume that a ship's registry couldn't be changed. Why it would be changed, though, would be a matter of debate. I think someone here once hypothesized that each Starfleet vessel gets its own unique registry number, but the decision to use a suffix in tribute to a previous ship of the same name is at the discretion of the commanding officer or Starfleet Command.

Sorry, I don't have much else to add to this debate.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Veers
You first
Member # 661

Yeah, why does everybody count the Dauntless as a Starfleet ship? It was made up by an alien from another quadrant!
And quit with the 1305-E crap. Someone dig up the other five Yamatos and I'll beleive it.

--------------------
Meh

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The fact that the Voyager crew accepted the Dauntless as a genuine Starfleet vessel signifies that it *could not* have been far from the real thing. Registry included. You don't think that if it was an unusual or 'wrong' registry number that they would have noticed?

And as I was trying to demonstrate, the fact that the Yamato had a reg of 1305-E doesn't necessarily mean that there were five others before it.

-MMoM

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
You don't think that if it was an unusual or 'wrong' registry number that they would have noticed?

Well, it's happened before. Picard & Co. didn't blink at the Yamato's erroneous registry.

Can you tell me the registry of the first aircraft carrier? Could the average Navy captain or lieutenent?

Not unless he was a history buff.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But, er, you weren't demonstrating it. You said:

"I think canonically (what with the U.S.S Nash NCC-2010-B and U.S.S. Dauntless NX-01-A) we have seen that the letter suffix cannot always be literally interpreted to mean that a ship is one of a series with that number."

That's not an argument, anymore than saying "I think canonically (What with the USS Defiant NCC-74205) we have seen that the numbers cannot literally mean that there are monkeys on the ship."

And I still prefer my "Riker is an idiot, Picard didn't care, and everyone else was too polite to correct him" theory. Unless Riker is the smartest person in the universe.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think what MMoM is saying is that a series of suffixed ships don't have to carry the same name - they only need to carry the same base rego number. This means that there wouldn't have to be 5 previous Yamato - only that there were 5 previous ships with the 1305 rego.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
"Riker is an idiot

Well, except for Liam's beliefs, Riker is a pretty smart guy -- I mean, how many people applied for the XO post on the Enterprise? And only Riker got it. He's always been at least tactically intelligent -- I think "Peak Performance" mentioned how he used a planet's atmosphere to cloak his ship during a hostile engagement?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But what's he basing it on? Do we know of any previous Nash's? Or NCC 2010's?

And don't start on the Dauntless. One, it wasn't real, and two, we've had several explanations for the registry already, such as:

The registry system only applies to Federation Starfleet vessels.
The crew were idiots.
Something happens to the Enterprise NX-01.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps