Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » ST:TMP dvd (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: ST:TMP dvd
Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Siegfried: next time you buy a computer, definitely get a laptop or a desktop computer with a DVD drive. It's perfect for watching multi-region DVDs and capturing images on your hard drive.
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ST:TMP-DE is definatly my next DVD purchase when I go to the mall. Have to also buy FarScape DVD #5 (which somehow I skipped), and Grand Theft Auto 3 for the PS2.

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Siegfried:
There's just two things I hope got fixed. The first is when Kirk leaves the airlock to pursue Spock into V'Ger. As the camera pulls back, you can the sound stage and rigging on the right side.

That scene isn't in the new cut. It wasn't in the original release, either; it was added in the "special longer" ABC/VHS version. If you notice, Kirk's suit helmet is different in that scene than when he meets up with Spock... it's more like the 2001 or Enterprise helmets. The exit scene is actually a part of the abandoned "Memory Wall" sequence. In any case, it's not in the new cut, so it didn't have to be fixed.

quote:
Originally posted by Siegfried:
Also, as Ilia, Decker, Kirk, Spock, and McCoy leave through the personnel airlock on top of the saucer to go to V'Ger's core, the matte painting of the upper saucer is truly atrocious.

In The Magazine, they show several shots from right around that part, all using some new CGI work on the "brick" path that leads to V'Ger and a few new angles of the ship, so it seems reasonable to assume that the saucer shot was redone, too. I sure hope so, too.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ryan McReynolds:

In the Star Trek: The Magazine article featuring that image, they said that Foundation Imaging took their CGI Enterprise and placed the camera behind the appropriate window to get the angle right... I have no idea how accurate it is, but it seems they did try something to make it fit.

Yeah, they used the bigass Rec Deck windows, forgetting that they weren't supposed to be little things, but actual BIGASS windows.

Unless, of course, this is one of those "hidden behind a sliding hull plate" windows that can be activated at the touch of a button like the FWD observation lounge in ST5.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More ambitious would have been to cut the background and insert the correctly shaped windows from Probert's sketch.. CGI ship interiors work too, like the Voyager corridor they modeled to blow up in 'Fury'.

And add Sisko and some tribbles in the background...

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a page that's got a review and tons of screencaps. When you're done w/the review, go down to the bottom of the page and hit the link to the photo gallery. Prepare to piss your pants.

http://www.obisreviews.com/reviews/startrektmp.html

-MMoM

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, looks like a whole lotta websites will have to change the movie's stardate to 7410.2. Wonder if that's a new addition or a cut scene.

I also read they deleted the planets/moons above Vulcan, remembering the line "Vulcan has no moon."

[ October 28, 2001: Message edited by: Phelps ]

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Vulcan "moons" are definatly removed

SS Enterprise NX-01 hasn't been put in place of the SS Enterprise spaceliner.

WOHOO! The ugly matte-painted of Kirk and Co. walking on the Enterprise hull is removed!

Not only that, but the huge "block land" has been shrunk down to a "block bridge", which does look really cool if you ask me.

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is a much better shot of the Enterprise at V'Ger's central complex. I really like that it is now a space bridge instead of a large mass of hexagonal stones. That truly is a beautiful shot.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's how the original storyboards were, but for some reason it was easier/cheaper to do the big mass of stones instead of the bridge.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, as we can all testify to, sometimes the producers just make oddly bizarre decisions.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am expecting many of you to throw brimstone and fire upon me for this. Oh, well.

In the original version, space station Epsilon Nine received intelligence on the failed Klingon attack on stardate 7411.40. How do I know this? Listen to the background chatter with Commodore Probert and the two scouts.

Soon after this scene is shown, we see Admiral Kirk arrive at Starfleet Headquarters.

Now, in the latest version (one of three or four), we see that the events which occured at the Headquarters were prior to the Epsilon Nine sequence (7410.20 is earlier than 7411.40). If stardate 7411.40 is retained, what would be the reason that Admiral Kirk demanded his former command?

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

There isn't a good explanation. One could make the argument that Starfleet had been tracking the cloud for some time before Epsilon 9 picked up the Klingon squadron's signal. If Starfleet determined that the cloud was going to enter Federation space, he could have used this as the core of his argument to retake command of the Enterprise.

However, that explanation can be refuted. If I recall, Kirk comments to both Scotty and (later) McCoy that the cloud is headed to Earth and and he has to stop it. This would mean that he (and Starfleet) knew it was already heading towards Earth so Epsilon 9 wasn't breaking anything new. But, if Starfleet knew the cloud was already coming, then they would have had the time to find another ship to take Kirk out there.

It's kind of a mess unless someone can come in here and correct me if I'm wrong about the events or dialogue.

--------------------

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I, for one, hope they fix the godawful visuals in the first probe shots on the bridge. The warping they had to do to get rid of the technican running the probe always annoyed me. It's one of my personal pet peeves, like Obi-Wan Kenobi's disappearing lightsaber in SW (which, for whatever reason, Lucas didn't fix in the Special Edition).

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
like Obi-Wan Kenobi's disappearing lightsaber in SW

Eh? What, the actual prop wasn't on his robe in one scene, but back for the other?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps