Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » ST:TMP dvd (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: ST:TMP dvd
Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, I changed the audio setting (you really can't hear 5.1 surround on a laptop), and heard the reference.

This is what I hear:

"Epsilon 9, this is dreadnought Entente calling, NCC-21209, com station, Epsilon 9, come in."

If the "9" above isn't a "9", what is it?

Right now, I also heard a reference to "long range shuttle Ranger" and another "NCC-2120" that appears before the above message. I'm sure people with better surround will be able to decipher more.

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe that the NCC-2120 is said rather quickly, and the '9' comes from the person on teh radio saying "Epsilon 9" again.

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But it's the same person speaking throughout, and there is only one syllable after "two one two oh", one that sounds like a "nine". It can't be "Epsilon Nine".
devin.clancy
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Entente voice is the lowest mixed audible comm call. It seems to be in the rear left channel.
The extra nine appears to be the voice repeating "...calling epsilon 9..."
Oddly, it sounds like the same voice as the epsilon nine controller. Maybe it's a computer voice. It could be the same one heard on the Enterprise later.

-Devin

IP: Logged
MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I posted my general observations on the ST-TMP DE DVD a few days ago. Here's some thoughts on the supplementary disc.

The three "documentaries" are a nice idea, but the execution is poor. They are painfully thin. Too many talking heads and not enough behind the scenes footage (of which there is tons, as there was a camera crew shooting documentary footage behind the scenes throughout the production).

The section on Phase II is particularly maddening. Too much time wasted on talking heads when what should have been done were to have the voices over images and concepts for the proposed show. And, when some of the screen tests done for the show are finally shown, that's the putting voice overs in, so you don't even get to hear all the dialogue and get a sense of the performers. Then there's the complete glossing over of the reasons for Phase II becoming TMP.

Throughout the supplements (and the commentaries) there are constant references to the film being hurried and released unfinished, but there's never any real discussion of WHY the film was so late and so rushed. The whole Robert Abel and Associates situation is skipped over.

And, given the crunch to make the visual effects work, where are the interviews with Richard Taylor? Greg Jein? Andrew Probert? Why do we only get Dykstra and Trumbull?

The deleted and cut scenes is a pretty nice section, but still skimps on the stuff many of us really wanted to see. Yes, there are camera tests for the Memory Wall, but where's the footage shot with Kirk and Spock? Where's the security guards coming onto the bridge? (At least regarding the latter, Wise explains why they cut the scene out.)

The trailers are fun, but the storyboard archives are a total disappointment. With all the various concepts tried out it would have been nice to have seen the roads not taken.

So, all in all, it's great to see what we got, but at best it's a 3rd of what it should have been.

Oh well, the main attraction is the movie, which DOES finally feel complete after all these years.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.