Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Enterprise Tech Once Again ["The Andorian incident" $$$] (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Enterprise Tech Once Again ["The Andorian incident" $$$]
MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to that map, Andor (or Andoria as it was called in this weeks episode) is know where near being nieghbor systems. They are no where near Vulcan or Sol! Oh well. I only consider this a minor, if not insignificant continuity flaw.
IP: Logged
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vogon Poet: After watching this, it does seem that this was more like a set-and-run explosive device. More demolition rather than defense.

Spike: The map I'm thinking of is not the one you've posted. However, my memory of this is pretty fuzzy, so I may be imagining this. In any case, I have a vague recollection from "In the Pale Moonlight" or an episode shortly afterward of Sisko and a couple other officers in the wardroom studying a map of the core of the Federation. They were talking specifically about how each attempt to liberate Betazed simply caused the Dominion to dig into the planet further to fortify themselves. Then I think Sisko says Betazed puts the Dominion in easy striking distance of Andoria, Tellar, and Vulcan. I'm not helping much, am I? Or am I just imagining things again?

"The Andorian Incident" was a rather enjoyable episode. It would appear that at least two of the Vulcan monks there knew of the sensor array. So, in essence, the Vulcans lied. This isn't necessarily a goof since we've seen Spock lie or deliberately mislead someone quite a few times. As for the Andorians calling Enterprise heavily armed, I don't think that implies that the Andorians have an even lesser level of weapons tech than Earth. They probably scanned the ship is discovered the (minimum) two plasa battery embankments on the saucer and three torpedo tubes (plus however many torpedos the ship is storing). They just probably don't know that the torpedos couldn't knock Humpty Dumpty off of his wall.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We're just being disillusioned left and right about the true nature of the Vulcans. Despite the idealistic view commonly held, they can be quite deceptive when they want to be. (Perhaps it seems to them "logical" )

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, there are some situations where it is logical to lie. And I don't mean the "spare your friend's feelings over her ugly haircut" situations, either. In war or times of armed conflict, it might be prudent in very specific situations to lie. Spock's decision to be deceptive about the Enterprise's damaged condition was logical in the instance: uncoded transmission with the very real possibility of Khan listening in with a less-damaged Reliant nearby. You could transfer this example on to "The Andorian Incident."

The Vulcans and Andorians had been in a state of conflict. Then, both sides settle the conflict by use of a treaty. However, the Andorians have shown themselves to be of a very volatile and aggressive nature. It would be prudent for the Vulcans to monitor the status of their fleet because they are capable of launching another attack. It would also be logical to be deceptive about the existence of this sensor array in order to maintain their sense of security. Considering this, it would appear that the use of sensor stations seemed to be a sticking point in the treaty negotiations. Why else would the Vulcans agree to that stipulation if it was something they wanted so much?

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nobody ever said the Vulcans were honorable, only logical. As Siegfried points out, there are cases where it is logical to lie, break treaties, and so on... we humans frown on it for being ethically bankrupt, but the Vulcans don't have to subscribe to our ethics. If you asked a Vulcan High Commander why they broke the treaty, they'd simply say, "It was the logical thing to do."

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

Raw Cadet
Member # 725

- posted      Profile for Raw Cadet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Siegfried: I remember the map you are referring to; however, I think our heroes were on Ops sitting at the situation table, with one of them pointing out that with the Dominion taking Betazed their forces were now within striking distance of Earth, Vulcan, etc. At any rate, you are not making it up.

[ November 01, 2001: Message edited by: Raw Cadet ]

Nyrath the nearly wise
Ex-Member

Is it one of the maps at this site?
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shik, can you please post that larger pic you said you had?

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Nyrath the nearly wise
Ex-Member

quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:
Some use logic to arrive at things that are considered wrong or selfish (Valeris)

Don't forget T'Pring from ST:TOS "Amok Time". Exceedingly Machiavellian solution, but even Spock pronounced it "faultlessly logical".

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good point.

I wish everyone here was Nearly Wise enough to agree with me

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps