Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Starship Spotter (brief review) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Starship Spotter (brief review)
Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's the TOS Bird of Prey.

The book is 128 pages wide, about 6mm or 1/4" thick. It's as wide as a legal pad, but not as long, maybe 8x8. There are four pages per ship:

Page 1: History, mission objectives.
Page 2: Miscellaneous wireframe view, specs.
Page 3,4: Big, miscellaneous CG model view.

[ November 02, 2001: Message edited by: Phelps ]

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, does this book suck or not, Phelps, and should we get it? I'm going to Barnes and Noble in a few hours, for God's sake! Either way, it's not what we hoped for. No ship list. It seems Mojo slacked off on this one...

Just kidding.

--------------------
Meh

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"and despite the huge improvement in accuracy (they actually have the Defiant at 119.5m)"

Do they have the Excelsior class USS Melbourne? And that ship that's in spacedock in STIII?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And that other Miranda- or Constitution- Nacelled starship from III or IV? I don't THINK so!

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, but it does have a surprise foldout with five-view blueprints and a cutaway of NX-01 Enterprise, complete with all the specifications, deck charts, etc.

Jokes aside, the book doesn't suck at all, it's unusually accurate, well designed and written, but there's hardly anything you don't already know, unless you consider non-canon tech fandom style info "new".

What wouldn't suck for *me* is if Foundation had filled the four pages/ship with

1) five-view drawings or CG views
2) specifications obtained from visual effects charts and Rick Sternbach's blueprints that Foundation must have, as well as analysis of actual CG sequences they made (now where did that torpedo come from? Look it up in LightWave!)
3) Behind-the-scenes info on how the models were built, who built them, etc.

That's something I'd expect Mojo to know and something he could do very easily, yet be unable to reveal due to proprietary restrictions, commercial value, and simply a lack of demand. We're a minority -- most fans would prefer the book as it stands.

[ November 03, 2001: Message edited by: Phelps ]

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gasp!

Sorry, laughing at a girl on the E! True Hollywood Story "Scream" ... "By noon, the show was all sold out ... gasp!"

Anyway.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Veers
You first
Member # 661

Couldn't find it at Barnes and Noble. They said it didn't come out until the 15th!

--------------------
Meh

Boris
Member # 713

I found it on November 1st in B.B. Dalton's bookstore at the Roosevelt Field Mall, Nassau County, Long Island.
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...Which means that out here in Alberta we won't see it for at least 2-3 weeks. Oh well, I can always put it on the Christmas list.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Veers
You first
Member # 661

New York always gets books first, they're published there! I live in Wisconsin.

--------------------
Meh

Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I checked it out at Barnes and Noble. It seems okay, but I was a bit disappointed that they didn't actually write any background info on the actual ship they listed for the class article (such as the Majestic or Honshu). I was hoping for some interesting anecdotes.

Another issue is the specifications listed for each ship. The Enterprise-E is listed as being pretty powerful, having Type XII phasers (I guess it's official, then) and all, and the Nebula class specifications seem a bit on the weak side compared to her Galaxy class cousin.

I didn't really care to learn about the Midas Array or the Malon ship and would have rather seen sections on the Excelsior class and the other "First Contact" vessels like the Saber, Norway, etc. Speaking of the FC vessels, the Akira class is listed as having 15 launchers (it's official, again )

Last, they mention that the Galaxy class production run is on indefinite postponement. I hate the Sovereign (as in what it has done to the 'power' factor of the Galaxy)!

Besides a few other quibbles, it seems a nice, but short, book (though I didn't get it as I was hoping for more orthographic projections and such). It's listed at $16.00 US, which is only $11.00 from the paperback Star Trek: Encyclopedia and $8.00 from the DS9 Technical Manual, so it's a little on the expensive side.

[ November 03, 2001: Message edited by: Ace ]

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the TOS Rommie BoP is in there, what do they say about whether it has Warp Drive or not?

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Mojo
Member # 536

- posted      Profile for Mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone!

It's been a while since I posted, mainly because I've been busy but also because I lost my password and I never heard back from anyone when I requested it to be sent to me... anyway, I finally dug it up, so I thought I'd drop in and talk about Starship Spotter.

First of all, here's some background on how the book was put together.

Rob Bonchune and I picked the ships, handled the rendering (the wireframes and color images) and worked up the basic layout of the book. Pocket Books hired their own folks to write the specs, but as we got close to the deadline it was determined that new, more Trek-capable writers were needed.

Both Jon Lane and Alex Rosenzweig have been friends of mine for many, many years, and I knew they would do an excellent job, so Pocket agreed to take them on.

They did not disappoint, and I am very, very pleased to hear that (so far) most of you here in the Forum agree that they have 'got it right.'

While much of the specs did indeed come from previous sources (after all we couldn't ignore what had previously been established), for the first time ALL the correct specs are in one place, and the contradictions and innacuracies have been laid to rest.

I know that many of the more hardcore tech-heads will already be familiar with much of the material, but most casual fans will be happy to have a simplified guidebook to these ships.

I've read in your posts that many of you would have liked to see more images of the ships. Keep in mind that this is meant to be a basic reference book (I thought of it as baseball cards for the ships) so I felt simplicity was the order of the day. Besides, more pages for each ship would have meant fewer ships! The page count was set in stone early on.

For those of you on the fence about parting with your hard-earned 13 bucks, keep in mind that good sales for this book will insure a follow-up!

And for the people talking about scanning and uploading the pictures so as to avoid purchase, I wish you luck dealing with the fold down the middle :-P

Right now I am finishing up the 2003 Ships of the Line calendar (which I am sure will please people who prefered the 2001 edition over the current one) and then I am hard at work - finally - on Star Trek: The Unseen Frontier. It's going to be epic. And your suggestions will be heard!

Mojo

Veers
You first
Member # 661

Ooooo...the Unseen Fronteir.
I tried to get people hooked on the idea over in the creativity forum, Mojo, but no one seems interested.

--------------------
Meh

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The Unseen Frontier" is still scheduled for 2002, right? Right???

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps