Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Starship Spotter (brief review) (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Starship Spotter (brief review)
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait ... if he's Mojo, who is Mojo Jojo?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mojo's Jojo.

Duh.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mojo == real live Trek graphics person

Mojo Jojo == just some poster who names himself after cartoon characters

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I prefer to think of Mojo as the real live guy who CG-ied the original version of "The Gathering", as well as Babylon 5 seasons 1-3 with Ron Thorton and the other guys. Whoever doesn't know that fact should be ashamed.

Foundation, however, abandoned B5 in pursuit of profits at Voyager, leaving Tim Earls and Netter Digital to keep going. However, Tim Earls *also* left for Voyager to work as Rick Sternbach's assistant of sorts.

However, B5 still has JMS. And even if its effects regressed to the level of TOS, B5 would still have better writing than *any* Star Trek show! So there.

[ November 04, 2001: Message edited by: Phelps ]

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, don't even start. Please.

Tim: Mojo Jojo is the Evil Lord, I think. And he has picked a stunning name to use. I salute him.

Hmm. I haven't seen this book over here yet.

Mojo, when you say "official" information, what did you use whe the official information conflicted? Like with the Defiant's length? Was there someone who picked what to use?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"So there."
If only it was so easy to prove a point...
Mr. Snay once said that to me long ago

--------------------
Meh

Mojo
Member # 536

- posted      Profile for Mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although this is an age-old topic, I would like to point out that Foundation did NOT abandon B5 in favor of Star Trek. Netter fired Foundation in order to start its own in-house FX company when Foundation refused to sell itself to Netter.

This action almost put Foundation out of business - fortunately, Star Trek was experiencing CG growing pains and came and asked us to do a show for them (Basics, part 1). Luckily, they were pleased with our work and kept a relationship with us.

I mean, seriously - why would we tell B5 to shove off in favor of Trek when we could have easily done BOTH??

I was sad to see the show go.

Mojo

Mojo
Member # 536

- posted      Profile for Mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Liam:

Alex and Jon handled deciding which specs would be kept. When there was a contradiction or discrepancy, they used the dimensions of the physical models at Paramount as a basis of measurement.

That seemed about as official as we could get...

Mojo

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mojo: thanks for the clarification of the Foundation's move to Star Trek. I needed to know the details.

As for the book:

It's preferable to maintain consistency with previous specs when the previous specs are right. It's fabulous that you kept the original and refit Constitution specs, the K'tinga specs, the Enterprise-E specs, the Voyager specs, etc.

However, watch this:

Doug Drexler made an alien ship size comparison chart for the Encyclopedia. Although he ordered the ships by size, Doug did not intend them to be to scale. Nevertheless, most ships were to scale, except for an oversized Vor'cha and another ship I can't remember.

Along comes Rick Sternbach, who's fabulous in everything Voyager and TNG, but does not know DS9 as well because he didn't work there. He's making the DS9 Tech Manual, and needs some specs. He looks at the Encyclopedia charts, misinterprets them as being to scale, and takes the worst ship imaginable as the scale reference: the Vor'cha.

So we get a K'tinga at 340m instead of 214m, a Bird of Prey at 157m instead of 110m, etc. These absolutely nonsensical specs are published and republished in the Magazine, and other books. Your book comes along and corrects a lot of that, because we finally have people with some sense looking at them.

But, there are still places where the original Encyclopedia charts themselves were wrong, and where Rick Sternbach accidentally corrected the specs so that they are good enough for you to keep them. Jem'Hadar fighter was about 45m long according to the Encyclopedia, which is absolutely nonsensical, yet Rick accidentally scaled it up to 68m. That's a bit closer to the probable value of 100m.

It would be good if these "accidentally correct" specs were replaced with something more analytical. If they aren't, maybe it's OK. Just pointing out how much error, yet how much influence there is at the official level. The Super Star Destroyer remained 5 miles long to this day in official publications, even though it's quite obviously 11 miles long in the movie and by the fact that it's bridge tower is identical to that of a regular Imperial Star Destroyer.

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mojo: Can you tell us more about the format of "Unseen Frontier"? Will you have individuals chapters on each ship as with Spotter or is it more of a historical review of Starfleet or what? Who's handling the text? Has a page count been set?
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The Super Star Destroyer remained 5 miles long to this day in official publications, even though it's quite obviously 11 miles long in the movie and by the fact that it's bridge tower is identical to that of a regular Imperial Star Destroyer. "

Hooray! Still, let's save the conversation about Imperator-class (hnng) and what those bubbles on top of the bridge do for another long, drawn out and boring conversation about Star Wars, okay?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always thought those bubbles were either shield generators or water towers.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Mojo
Member # 536

"The Unseen Frontier" will be a large format, hardcover coffee table book, 128 pages.

It is more an overal look at the events that have shaped the Star Trek universe, as if it were told by the pages of National Geographic. Incidents such as the launching of the NX-01, the Doomsday Machine, the battle at Wolf 359, Voyager's defeat of the Borg and more will be looked at as history through pictures, with an eye for the dramatic.

In large part, the book will be new renders of special effects imagery (some seen before, some not), but it will also be filled in with live-action pictures from Star Trek - after all, history is not just made by space ships! A lot of time is going to be spent looking through Paramount's photo archive, picking images that are dramatic, tell the story and have not been seen before.

In addition, the plan is to have several of the chapters open with blank-backed gatefolds, suitable for framing!

Mojo

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They're both, actually.

Masao: "Unseen Fronteir" will be about unseen parts of Trek history, not (correct me if I'm wrong, Mojo) necessarily only about ships. There will be such things as Wolf 359 (a chapter!), Voyager's disappearance, etc.

Or, you can visit the "Unseen Article" threads in the Creativity forum.

(I know, it's shameless to advertise a thread...)

--------------------
Meh

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Re: "Live Action" stuff in the Unseen Frontier book... Are we talking about existing pictures from episodes and movies and stuff (a la Trek calendars), or will you guys actually have a budget for dressing people up, shooting them on a set (or in front of a greenscreen) and compositing a photograph that way?

If it's the latter, wow, wouldn't that be cool! I mean, imagine seeing a picture of the signing of the Khitomer accords? Or a picture of a Captain sitting on the bridge of a starship as her ship is torn apart by Cardassian weapons? As you said, it's not just about spaceships... But it's not just about the relatively few number of people on those spaceships either.

Plus, it'd be cool to see you guys flex your muscles on CGI backgrounds and interior sets. Like bridges, for example. I'm sure whatever you guys come up with will rock, though. Just don't pull another "New Worlds, New Civilizations" artbook, which is only found in the bargain bins of most bookstores these days. Did anyone buy that, BTW..? I fully credit the artists in that book for some good work, but the presentation and subject matter of that book just didn't work...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps